It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Do You Think Is The Best Survival Radio ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I am looking at upgrading my cheap battery radio to a good quality one.
I am wondering what ATS members own ?

I have looked at many of the companies, but I thought I would get some input here before I buy.

Eton / Gundig

Kaito

CCrane

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

It really depends on what you're looking to do with it.

If you just want to listen, any of those should be fine. If you want the option of calling for help, why not choose a ham radio?

Check this one out, Yaesu 817ND. It receives most (not all though) frequencies in the range from the low AM and short waves up to the 400mhz. You can also use it to transmit if needed. Power options are wide and varied too, from solar to AA batteries. It's really up to you.

It's next on my radio shopping list!

A little caveat though, it does require a license to transmit in a non emergency situation. They are easy to get though so do let that hold you back from considering it.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I was reading the OP's post and my first thought was 817 ND

I own one, its a great little radio, I wont bore you with details

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by FawnyKate

Great minds think alike! I've got it's bigger brother, the 897ND. I love that thing, but I'm ready for some portable and QRP stuff on the beach and in the mountains.

The radios made by those brands the OP mentions are great radios, but they're limited in what they can do, and the 817ND steps up the capabilities a bit. It's smaller than some of the other options, and it's much more versatile.

I know the OP mentioned a budget, but a used 817 is affordable, I'd even set aside some money and pick up a new one with some extra power and antenna options. It's worth it in my opinion!

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I'm thinking a ham radio to. I would say you want to pick up SW, AM FM, CB, FRS/GRMS, the emergency and utility services in your area, aircraft and as many amateur bands as possible. The only single radios that do this are ham radios. I have the Yaesu vx-8dr which is a little hand held that I like, but its a bit expensive.

As an alternative you can mix and match radios. So you could get something like a Grundig mini400 to cover AM and SW (it also does FM) and a scanner to cover everything else. Nice thing about this is that if one craters you still have the other.

edit on 1-1-2014 by dainoyfb because: to clarify.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   

G,day mate. The best radio to have is one that works.
Sorry mate the temptation was just too great.
I have a hand cranked portable radio, it never needs batteries
Oh well
hi ho hi ho
its off to the pub i go
its beer o'clock
its beer o'clock
hi ho hi ho

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Well if you got around $1800 to spend you could get a Kenwood TS590s like mine... I like that I can connect to my laptop with just a usb cable...

in my truck I use an ICON 7000... my wife bought it for me for my birthday... thanks again honey

if I had the money I'd sure like to get my hands on the IC 9100 now there's a sweet rig...

Of course I'm talking about state of the art ham equipment there, serious money and time invested in learning how to use them...

now while I don't own one myself a lot of folks in my net have a lot of good things to say about the Sony ICF-SW7600GR
Check it out here
edit on 2-1-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
After much consideration and reviews I am looking at a Midland, anybody at ATS own it ?

Midland

Mainly because it gives you the ability to talk to somebody else, even though it is a short distance.
There have been many good suggestions but this will have to be self powered, as I need to assume power is gone too, even generators power eventually goes when the fuel goes, or if you have to be on the move and don't have a generator. A self-crank is a must.

edit on 2-1-2014 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Nope. In a survival situation I believe talking is very secondary to listening (especially the very limited transmitting that GMRS affords) because you don't really want people to know you are there.

The model you are looking at doesn't do SW, CB, emergency services, amateur, etc.

You could get a scanner and a GMRS radio for chatting for the same price, cover many more of the critical bands and have way more functionality. More portable too.
edit on 2-1-2014 by dainoyfb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

I appreciate your input, I will take it into consideration before I buy.

Thanks

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

If your interested in being able to talk as well as listen you should check out ebay for a nice old rig like a Yaesu FT-901DM

I used to have one of these... ssb cw am fm... sorry no super ssb but a nice set up for someone starting out...

FYI check this out
Wire antennas from QSL net

your reception is only as good as the antenna you use and this tut is a how make antenna from nothing more than just a spool of wire... and a few other do-dads but it's mostly low cost and you can string it between a couple of poles, trees or whatever ...

if you do decide to go this route you'll need an
Elmer

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Batteries can last a long time in radios, but if you don't have a hand-crank version, eventually, you'll be done. For a get home back, a battery one is fine (Kaito), but for SHTF or a BOB, you want something you can crank.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Yeah I finally decided on this guy a combination of price and what it can do, a hand crank was a must.
I saw a review of this radio in a video in the pouring rain running and that helped me decide.
Not the best but it is packed with features and it is small and light.

Scorpion

new topics

top topics

join