Supreme Court Stops Obama From Forcing Catholic Nuns to Obey HHS Mandate

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

No one should have medical options removed at the crazy beliefs of others.

I agree completely. No one should have options removed at the crazy beliefs or agendas of others. So tell me, are *ALL* other medical options and items available to every subscriber of benefit plans, the same way this one is specifically and by regulation, required to be? ...or are they simply specifically naming and requiring SOME be required for SOME areas of social interest ..while others are not so well defined or given near as much concern?

If we're in a single payer or all inclusive system, then excluding one thing would be patently insane. If we're in a multi-level system which, in part, is defined by WHAT is available and at what accessibility with each level you pay for? I'd say it's just a question of WHAT is included, who is making that decision and what social vs. medical considerations are going into that determination.

If we are getting picky-choosy about what benefits are cover? Well, now forcing a religious order or Church to offer something they flat will NOT offer? (I didn't say..don't want to..I said WILL NOT..EVER) then I'd say we're forcing one group to offer something against their beliefs, Constitutionally protected as such, over other things also not included but which no one cares about.

...we aren't suggesting these are 100% all inclusive plans outside this one specific example, right?

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 03:12 AM
link   

tothetenthpowerAnyway, Obama hasn't even started to see the headaches that will come to pass with ACA. I imagine the entire program will be shelved in 2 years time.

~Tenth

Working at a large hospital I can assure you it will not go away. If it ever does, it will be a very, very long time.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Your argument would probably hold some kind of weight if the Church employed a universal standard, it does not. My father worked for the Church and through his insurance I received birth control, and he himself had his vasectomy paid for. This whole it is against our conscience argument is nothing but a political ploy. And the opinions of Catholic clergy vary wildly on this. Not taking into account that most Catholic families in fact practice some form of birth control. As long as hormonal birth control requires a prescription it should be covered in ones prescription coverage. It is just that simple.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by KeliOnyx

Our Constitution doesn't make distinctions like that for a Church to have to go on the defensive and justify how, why or to what degree something is against their beliefs or Faith. It's enough to say that it is, and they are recognized as a proper Faith.

The same would be and should be valid for Islam, Buddhism or any other faith where something in this healthcare law may violate their beliefs.

How about, a very good example I can cite from family. Jehova Witness... Should they be forced to accept life saving blood transfusion against their will, belief and wishes if this law says they should? Personally, I think they should and they're flat out crazy not to. Personally, however, cannot be how our diverse nation is governed. As a citizen, I have to respect their right to their Faith based beliefs...even if it may outright kill them. Our Supreme Court has found that to be how far that protection extends.

It absolutely extends to this, IMO.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

No it Doesn't apply here. If the Church held a universal standard within it's own organization before this law went into effect, I would see it their way. But they have not held a universal standard in their employees healthcare plans on this. Their objections are not being made in any manner of intellectual honesty. A Jehovahs Witness could argue against forced transfusions because despite their rather odd beliefs they as an organization to the best of my knowledge have applied the standard universally and adhere to it. This cannot be said of Catholics or their employees medical plans. Many Catholic Dioceses already offer contraceptive and elective vasectomies in their coverage. And this was decades before the ACA came into existence. So if their own Dioceses were not violating their conscience before, than the Federal Government cant be violating it now.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by KeliOnyx

That's what makes opinions so interesting. We can both hold one.

It's the opinions of the men and women wearing black robes that actually matter and define the way we live daily life.

So far, they seem to be siding with the Church. In my opinion, they're right.

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join