It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity: Potential Anomalies (Update 01/2014)

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
There is a panorama in Gigapan done by Impreprex of Curiosity sols 107 109 that on the lower right corner (Rover raw image is 0109ML0684037000E1_DXXX.jpg) that distinctly shows what looks like either a white coffee mug or small white rimmed planter nestled under two boulders. On the raw image, there is not enough resolution to see this object...does anyone know how to find the Hi Res version of this photo, that is clearly used in the Gigapan???!!
Thank you

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by nomickeyshere

Thanks. Do you have a link? Does the coffee cup read something like "Mar's Greatest Dad"?

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
And since no other media has broken the story yet I've broken the news about the Spoke fossil on a major news source. Well, at least a satirical news source, UnNews at Uncyclopedia (not the wikia version, where an admin removed it because it redirects here and mentions Buzz and funbox, but at the fork uncyclopedia) This page is safe, but don't go looking around the site or you may need to check your eyes at the door:

Nope, both sites redirect the page away from the news article. I don't know why.

Anyway, every news source should be getting to this story at some point, so at least a satire site has seconded Buzz's motion of a major discovery.

edit on 24-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

wildespace
Here's a cross-eye stereo pair from the images mars.jpl.nasa.gov... and mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

And here's an anaglyph to complement your "cross-eye" image.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

BuzzDengue

These types of crashes, utter destruction - obliteration, are in soooo many NASA images... they picked this landing site because the mapping data indicated the water breach in the crater wall and in addition many crash debris fields. NASA hit their bulls eye with Curiosity and now they have an embarrassment of riches, from the data/image side of the ledger. But no reason for these images to be this blurry/fuzzy with respect to resolution... honestly, I believe that they are applying a practically transparent alpha channel with a random type geometric pattern to do a "delicate redaction" on the fine detail of the content is in these images. Don't believe me? Zoom in to a ferocious level (900 to 1500%) on the ridgeline on this picture (or many others) and you will see the messiness show up. In some areas that they misapply the pattern you see crystal clarity at big zooms. If some has programs to show photo-doctoring, can anything be seen on this particular source file?
All my opinion of course, formed after substantial effort and time-on-station.

I suggest you check the camera sensor size before suggesting a 900-1500% increase you are joking aren't you!!!!

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

funbox

symptomoftheuniverse
Please tell me im going crazy but is that a tiled floor in this image,just above centre? mars.jpl.nasa.gov...
I think theres going to be an anouncement by nasa which will change the world and our place in it forever.

do you mean ?

funBox

You're missing the best part of that image, at 2 o'clock:

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Blue Shift

funbox

symptomoftheuniverse
Please tell me im going crazy but is that a tiled floor in this image,just above centre? mars.jpl.nasa.gov...
I think theres going to be an anouncement by nasa which will change the world and our place in it forever.

do you mean ?

funBox

You're missing the best part of that image, at 2 o'clock:

There are actually tears of joy in my eyes. (EDIT: The tears of a sucker is born every minute - maybe) You may have found another Spoke fossil. Just look at it. (EDIT: Or don't). ATS has very likely either broken the news of past life on Mars and now with your discovery, confirmed it by finding another almost exact fossil, or a university geologist has to come and tell us why not. (EDIT: Or I need to see what's in the fridge and to learn about pixel distortions. One of those.)

Congratulations. This may be history making, unless the pixel distortion is what's making it an optical illusion, and if I could do backflips I'd be doing them (like Edgar Rice Burroughs and Ray Bradbury are doing in their graves). (EDIT: For the exercise, in all three cases)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

Questions: Is this near BuzzDengue's discovery, or quite far away? Is it from the same day or well in the past?

Blue Shift - he of keen eye and finder of past Martian life - can you or funbox do a larger gif of this one? Thanks.

The resolution is quite low, and pixel distortion may apply to some extent, but likely not enough to blur the similarities.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse

Here's symptomoftheuniverse's post, which then directed funbox to post a photo of the image, and then Blue Shift found another Spoke creature/rock in it. So, "I think there's going to be an announcement by NASA which will change the world and our place in it forever" may be quite accurate, just not the way you thought, and because you, funbox, and Blue Shift teamed up to at first focus attention on this, and then for Blue Shift to find it, yes, NASA should pay attention to this and bring the rover back for another look. (EDIT: Unless its just a pixel distortion and all my commotion is for naught)

If anyone has a contact at NASA please alert them. (EDIT: Unless, see above.)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
amazing , forget the small business opportunitys in Marsimals , im seeing a whole new line in chowder restaurants, one sec ill get the pot on the boil and blow up Blueshifts alienfacehugger clam, hmm I wonder what the metamorphosis will be

funBox
edit on 24-1-2014 by funbox because: wolves serve up a slap up meal for 500 000

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   

funbox
amazing , forget the small business opportunitys in Marsimals , im seeing a whole new line in chowder restaurants, one sec ill get the pot on the boil and blow up Blueshifts alienfacehugger clam, hmm I wonder what the metamorphosis will be

funBox
edit on 24-1-2014 by funbox because: wolves serve up a slap up meal for 500 000

Wunderful. You do realize that if this is confirmed, although it may be (EDIT: Or is) an illusion of the lines on the image, these posts will probably end up in history books (EDIT: Or in comic books), so your edit note "Wolves serve up a slap up meal for 500,000" might be on a postage stamp someday. lol.

Was this taken near BuzzDengue's find? On what day? Who's on first? (EDIT: Or not related to his excellent find at all, at all)

There will be questions about the extent of pixel and image distortion on this, lots of "lines" and flotsam around. Yet the shape is very indicative of Buzz's Spoke, with a complete central peak and vug just as his contains, although on closer look at the vug it may just be the shadow of a rock sitting in the middle there (the shadow seems to be where the hole would be, so maybe jumped the gun on this one). I don't see much of a rim on this one, maybe others can, yet the rim of Buzz's was very obvious. funbox, can you discuss the pixelization effect on this image, and what is distortion and what isn't?

edit on 24-1-2014 by Aleister because: Free the Chicago 7. Oh, they are free? Never mind.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

see the rock in front of the clam shaped object, its face in the sun is smooth, and this is played out by visually seeing a smooth gradient or even tone , depending on the shape of the surface, the clam on bone like structure on the top is indicated by the unevenness and distribution patterns of light and dark on this surface, its a bit gnarly Aliester

the first blow up is around 220% zoom in Photoshop, the second is around 450% (memory leakage maybe occurring at this point)

I can show a grid display of individual pixels if that helps to show them in there glory

funBOx

edit on 24-1-2014 by funbox because: wolves serve up mains

edit on 24-1-2014 by funbox because: wolves forgot to take the shrimp icecream from the fridge

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by funbox

Ah, so it may be a vug on top (I'm making use of a newly learned word it seems), because the shadows on the other rocks are falling "behind" them, to the left. So if the vug is actually a rock with its shadow it would likely fall at a different angle, more to the left than it is. Unless I'm wrong. What's on second? Much depends on the vug, methinks.

EDIT: Your grid display makes a mockery out of this molehill, as it can be anything from a Mars-shattering discovery to the Mona Lisa. What is your opinion of how the image shakes out from the poorly structured pixel mash, does it have a chance at being a real live boy or is it definitely a thing of non-beauty.

And it seems like two of the "spokes" are continuation of ridges running along the entire rock. I don't know's on third, and this may be bust. A vug turns to image bug.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   

the grids there to show pixel size at that magnification , usefull for seing the edge of the clam shaped object, color change from sand to rock can be seen from pixel to pixel , so we can define the edge , then it just a case of deciphering the patterns between light and dark within that edge, can we see a textured surface?, certainly, can we tell what it is ? certainly not .

funBox

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by funbox

It may be that we've been talking of two different things. You seem to be discussing the "mouth" of the clam, while Blue Shift had focused on the faux Spoke fossil on top of the rock, which I jumped at. We should just pick up our stuff and go home, for a rock has been shown to be a rock. Unless it hasn't.

But this does nothing to negate or lessen BuzzDengue's spoke fossil find, which is extraordinary.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   

it appears Blueshift has an ironic sense of humour
, a pareidolia within a pareidolia , a good spot for certain

but when does pareidolia stop becoming paridolia, I would hate to step out into the road , catch a quick glimpse of distant light and shadows, dismiss the bus off completely, and be all peed about it in the after.. imagine the shames

funBox

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

nomickeyshere
There is a panorama in Gigapan done by Impreprex of Curiosity sols 107 109 that on the lower right corner (Rover raw image is 0109ML0684037000E1_DXXX.jpg) that distinctly shows what looks like either a white coffee mug or small white rimmed planter nestled under two boulders. On the raw image, there is not enough resolution to see this object...does anyone know how to find the Hi Res version of this photo, that is clearly used in the Gigapan???!!
Thank you

FORMATTED UNIFORM TICPC SUBMITTAL (FUTS Convention)
====================================================
Normally, only NASA-JPL source images are considered valid for TICPC (Target Image Curio Pixel Coordinates). As much as obtainable, utilize the lowest generation, highest resolution, valid source image.

FUTS TICPC CONVENTION:

A) VALIDATE SOURCE IMAGE LEGITIMACY - Provide the NASA descriptor and any other pertinent available info... EXAMPLE;

URL: mars.jpl.nasa.gov... Navcam: Mast-Mounted Left Navigation Camera
Sol: 345
Site: 10
Drive: 288
Last Updated: 2013-07-26 20:18:45 UTC
NASA-JPL Source File Name: N_L000_0345_EDR010CYLTSB0288_DRIVEM1

B) TRANSCRIBE TICPC DATASETS
Declared format for submitting TICPC (Target Image Curio Pixel Coordinates) are:
"X, Y, Zoom, Descriptor"

Example: "2682,4551,375, Half moon shape on apparent sphere " translates to;
2682 pixel row address,
4551 pixel column address,
375 zoom/magnification,
"Half moon shape on apparent sphere" is the curio specified to locate and evaluate.

C) AUTHORSHIP LEGACY OBLIGATION
If other reviewers and evaluators have valid questions on your source data or procedures, you have an
authorship obligation to provide clarity, outline methodology and/or to correct typographical errors committed on your
part.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

... that would be zoom level on IrfanView...

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Aleister
But this does nothing to negate or lessen BuzzDengue's spoke fossil find, which is extraordinary.

To me, in both 3D images (the cross-eye image posted by wildespace and my anaglyph), that "spoke fossil" looks like several rocks at different distances from the camera but in the same line of sight, in other words, a perspective artefact.
Only the upper part is one piece, all (or almost all) the rest is made up from several smaller rocks on the ground in front of the bigger rock in the back.

At least that's what I see.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I see what you mean. Good eye. That's one explanation for the two spoke/rocks nearest the bottom. The main counter-theory to this involves the rim, which seems to go around the lower-left spoke/rock on the bottom, and seems to contain the rest of the object. Does the rim also fall into the category of perspective? Too bad no closer views were obtained, although it seems that Curiosity is still roaming around in this area (when is it going to get a move on towards Murray Buttes?).

Here again is one of funbox's gifs of the object, which seems to show that most of it is upraised as part of the larger rock, and shows the rim quite well. The two spokes in front could very well be individual rocks in front of the larger rock, or may be part of the object when taking the rim into account. We'll probably never know for sure unless new pictures of the area surface:

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join