It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity: Potential Anomalies (Update 01/2014)

page: 65
<< 62  63  64    66  67  68 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse
From sol 375 mars.jpl.nasa.gov... look around 1 oclock and youwill see some nicer teeth. A miniture human head,with skin still attached.

I must go through my downloads now duh

Sure enough! Couple of other odd things in the same corner...wonder if he is buried whole in the silt.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

funbox
did you do the comparison ? with the original?

Obviously.

what do you think ?

I already said what I think.

does it break an illusion or does it still remain>?

It creates a new one. The pixels are blended together, regardless of being a representation of what was photographed or JPEG artefacts. That's probably why you get those vertical reddish lines, as that colour looks a JPEG artefact, for example.

And I don't understand how blurring an image can make it better.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse
im going to start and call you the Mgg, mars grand daddy

In the beginning I was more interested in Moon photos, but with all the photos from Mars showing a much more interesting geology I start to dedicate more time to Mars photos.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

what looks like a buried cylinder or arch still looks like it with or without jpg artefacts, can you still see the anomaly in both pictures ?, the one that was covered in jpg artefact? im not asking what it is , or anything to do with jpg artifacts , im asking can you see the object , as outlined in light and dark ( more than one pixel ) ergo the geometric shape that I think looks like a buried wind tunnel.. even a resemblance at a distance? come on, we don't need to talk about jpg artifacts no more , we know all that and they have been pointed out multiple times.. light and dark , see the geometry ?

funBox

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Char-Lee

symptomoftheuniverse
From sol 375 mars.jpl.nasa.gov... look around 1 oclock and youwill see some nicer teeth. A miniture human head,with skin still attached.

I must go through my downloads now duh

Sure enough! Couple of other odd things in the same corner...wonder if he is buried whole in the silt.
i think she was burried with his little hat,which protected the top of the head. I think i can just make out his shoulders. Or he was decapitated lol

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   

funbox
what looks like a buried cylinder or arch still looks like it with or without jpg artefacts, can you still see the anomaly in both pictures ?, the one that was covered in jpg artefact?

I can see it, obviously.

come on, we don't need to talk about jpg artifacts no more , we know all that and they have been pointed out multiple times.. light and dark , see the geometry ?

Yes, I see the geometry, and yes, we need to talk about JPEG artefacts because they exist in the image as published, regardless of any processing done to the image and because that processing will include them.

Seriously, I see that blurring of the image as just a waste of time and a possible source of confusion, as you are transforming information with known noise into information with the noise processed into the data.

I think drawings (like the ones made by Libertygal) are a better way of showing the perceived geometry.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   

ArMaP

funbox
what looks like a buried cylinder or arch still looks like it with or without jpg artefacts, can you still see the anomaly in both pictures ?, the one that was covered in jpg artefact?

I can see it, obviously.

come on, we don't need to talk about jpg artifacts no more , we know all that and they have been pointed out multiple times.. light and dark , see the geometry ?

Yes, I see the geometry, and yes, we need to talk about JPEG artefacts because they exist in the image as published, regardless of any processing done to the image and because that processing will include them.

Seriously, I see that blurring of the image as just a waste of time and a possible source of confusion, as you are transforming information with known noise into information with the noise processed into the data.

I think drawings (like the ones made by Libertygal) are a better way of showing the perceived geometry.

thank you, now I can say this about gentle blurring or non harsh blurring, as done in the previous example , and why it may prove useful in our hunt, in a few of the anomalies found , lets take a few of Buzz's, earlier in the post , you know the ones, as the one I exampled earlier , if on these distant images this anomalies on the horizon , wouldn't a gentle blurring help with these finds on the distance , if a lot of them have their effect created by artifacts and bit of light and dark pixels , wouldn't blurring help us define what's artefact and what's real dark and light pixels .?

I say yes it does , as we can eliminate them from the equation , blurring does blend them into the picture , I understand how you think that it might interfere, add additional information, but in my experience , and I believe if you was to experiment with blurring you would see that it takes away many of the said anomalies and can help in destroying potentials that are misidentified as anomalies, especially in heavy area like the horizon thereby leaving us talking about dark and light and geometry without the grid patterns and little lines of squares that can be so deceptive

I wanted to be specific with the last anomaly in my presentation of it , I wanted it to be seen as I saw it , and that meant removing the jpg artefacts , to take away potential misrepresentation of what I was likening it to, a polytunnel
and not something that could potentially add teeth and a tail to it i.e. the little grid patterns and squares (jpg compression artefacts)

but stress not , I've only been doing Blurring on a limited basis and only to anomalies I find myself and not always then. images that I do for everyone else I don't edit except for contrast and brightness adjustments, just incase I destroy something they where seeing that had artefacts as its construct

hope ive explained it properly

funBox

edit on 19-2-2014 by funbox because: added gaussian blur

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   

funbox
I say yes it does , as we can eliminate them from the equation , blurring does blend them into the picture , I understand how you think that it might interfere, add additional information, but in my experience , and I believe if you was to experiment with blurring you would see that it takes away many of the said anomalies and can help in destroying potentials that are misidentified as anomalies, especially in heavy area like the horizon thereby leaving us talking about dark and light and geometry without the grid patterns and little lines of squares that can be so deceptive

I say it doesn't.

When a pixel is included in the blur there's no way of knowing if it's a pixel resulting of the JPEG compression algorithm or if it's a real pixel of the scene on the photo. Also, although it removes the false detail by blending it with the rest of the image it also removes the real detail that may be on the photo.

Also, I don't think that comparing a blurred version with a resampled version is a good comparison, as the resampling already did some blur, a true comparison would be between the blurred version and the original image resized without resampling.

hope ive explained it properly

You did.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I should hope you know by now what is and isn't after seeing between the original image and the blow ups, essentially the blow ups are just for illustration purposes to help locate , *and a bit of fun *, and the original image should be the one that is examined

as for not knowing what is effected after blurring the image , as you have exampled quite well, picking out the jpg artefact is relatively easy , once you know how to identify them , (repetitive patterns, repetitive squares etc. ) this certitude can give you the control you need to apply blurring so it only destroys what you identify as jpg compression artefacts

ive done this time and time again for companies , take a dirty image and clean it so it looks mint , median effects are also great for destroying artefacts , but in most mars photos I think median would be too harsher of a blurring tool, than some of the lighter blurring effects than can be used.

do not dismiss this as a tool to be used ArMaP , it can be helpful in saying whats what at times

funBox

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Lots of good things here since I've been on the front lines with Perry, a thread which was moved to skunk works and is now under staff review. funbox's long-distance find, the poor stork laying with its legs up, the very good segmented marsapillar next to the wheel (and that one is close enough not to be too effected by camera distance), the skulls and snakes and sugars and spice. All in all, lots of creatures to add to the mix, but, in essence, as ArMap says, very interesting geology. One of the things which is nice about posting and looking for things on these threads - something the naysayers and the people who laugh at us don't get - is that we enjoy seeing Mars as it passes before us. To have an almost state-of-the-art Rover roaming around on a different but often similar planet, and to accompany it on its daily rides, interests me enough to keep me coming back for more (as well as hanging out with the fun and curious people posting here) to ride atop the Rover (from its point of view) as we travel lightly over sand, gravel, and rocks to some still-mysterious destination ahead.

That, and for the pleasure of a long-odds discovery, and those moments in which we think "maybe this is something". Fun stuff.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

true words Aleister ,were some of the first to see this amazing scenery and all its rockupants, is great to be alive , well apart from the snail infestation

hmm I don't think ide like this crawling all over my ploughmans lunch, I might keep the shell after boiling though, looks ornate

salad bar

funBox

edit on 19-2-2014 by funbox because: almost forgot the link

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by funbox

That looks like "Donald Duck, in Blue, on the Half-Shell" by Rodin, except Donald is either posing or dead. Yes, the ridealong is worth it. Mars is the gateway to Europa - but we must not go to Europa, sayeth the Lord (Lord Arthur).

edit on 19-2-2014 by Aleister because: a man's art is his in-laws dustjacket

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

funbox
do not dismiss this as a tool to be used ArMaP , it can be helpful in saying whats what at times

Usually, I don't dismiss any thing that can help us to get better data, but something that only gives us "prettier" data is not what I want.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

funbox

true words Aleister ,were some of the first to see this amazing scenery and all its rockupants, is great to be alive , well apart from the snail infestation

hmm I don't think ide like this crawling all over my ploughmans lunch, I might keep the shell after boiling though, looks ornate

salad bar

funBox

Wow very interesting creature or object!! So glad i can check and see more interesting things. I don't have any time for looking lately!

Just wanted to share this interesting large fossil so we can see the kind of things life forms can do! this is a tunnel/burrow!

www.officialstickman.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Aleister
reply to post by funbox

That looks like "Donald Duck, in Blue, on the Half-Shell" by Rodin, except Donald is either posing or dead. Yes, the ridealong is worth it. Mars is the gateway to Europa - but we must not go to Europa, sayeth the Lord (Lord Arthur).

edit on 19-2-2014 by Aleister because: a man's art is his in-laws dustjacket

Another that looks like a converted sea creature adjusted to land. Like sea slugs and sea cucumbers and such. There are hundreds of strange sea creatures and hundreds of each variety.
Cucumber

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

funbox

salad bar

funBox

That object to the left of the slug is weird also!

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
While looking for better pics of the harpoon i found this image mars.jpl.nasa.gov... top right corner it looks awfully geometric ,artificial?
Hope nasa does not avoid.
Still looking for better pics of the rod.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Dont you open that trap door curio mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Found the harpoon but now it looks like a line in the terrain . 11 oclockish mars.jpl.nasa.gov...
Edit propably mistaken on this one! Sorry
edit on 19-2-2014 by symptomoftheuniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by symptomoftheuniverse

has there been any new photos from the mars mission in the last two weeks?

top topics

<< 62  63  64    66  67  68 >>

join