It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity: Potential Anomalies (Update 01/2014)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

a time stamp taken from mastcam sol518 reads

This image was taken by Mastcam: Left (MAST_LEFT) onboard NASA's Mars rover Curiosity on Sol 518 (2014-01-20 08:48:59 UTC).

so two days ago
back to the hunt

funBox

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Aleister
I've alerted Arken, Jeep, wildespace, Jade, and the ATS staff on an alert.

Yes you did. I have to say that is the first time an image from Mars has been posted that doesn't look like just a rock or simple pareidolia (but very well could be, unfortunately).

Very interesting! Will definitely be keeping any eye on this.

edit on 21-1-2014 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Yes, this one is very close to, if not over, the goal line. I've let Blister know about it too. I'm very interested in what more biological minded people have to say about this one. My "expertise" is in history, which is why I guess I'm doing the site-wide alert on this. And has someone on staff pointed out features which move it into the rock category? (I saw your edit). One area that's questionable is the "bottom" of the object, which doesn't show the regularly spaced extensions from the middle but instead seems like a solid area.
edit on 21-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Glad everyone likes this one... off to peruse more of the Red Planet.... [email protected], if so inclined...

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   

BuzzDengue
reply to post by jeep3r

SOL 518
518_NRB_443478948EDR_F025088

Apparent turbine intake... far right middle...

files.abovetopsecret.com...

That could also be a nest.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Aleister
And has someone on staff pointed out features which move it into the rock category? (I saw your edit).

Nope, just wanted to cover all of my bases and not allow hasty excitement to cloud something that might not be.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by BuzzDengue

buzz can I have the link to the original image that you first found this spoked anomaly in ?from the jpl site .ive found it in another image on there but its not your soursed image , the slight variation in perspective between pictures will show enough movement to see outline in greater detail , get me the link an ill get you a gif

betaversion mark 1

I think there maybe differences in aspect ratios between pictures, a tiny bit of stretching to my eye,

funBox
edit on 21-1-2014 by funbox because: wolfpic

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Aleister... These are the NASA source image details and links...

TCPC on NASA Source = 919X, 537Y, 425% or more zoom

SOL 18 2014-01-20 08:45:10 UTC NRB_443478948EDR_F0250886NCAM00258M_
Located at--- mars.jpl.nasa.gov...#/?slide=518

NASA Tagline;
"This image was taken by Navcam: Right B (NAV_RIGHT_B) onboard NASA's Mars rover Curiosity on Sol 518 (2014-01-20 08:45:10 UTC)."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can someone venture a guess on the size of the target given the Navcam operating info...?
Image Resolution: 0.82 milliradians per pixel
Focal Length: in focus from 20 inches (0.5 meter) to infinity
Focal Ratio and Field of View: fixed-aperture f/12 and 45° square; field of view is similar to a 37-mm lens on a 35mm camera

Thanks

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by funbox

... see post above, thanks!

funbox, PUH-LEEZ help me with the graphics package/technique you are using... great stuff!!!
edit on 2014/1/21 by BuzzDengue because: Begging for graphics enlightenment...

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by BuzzDengue

What I'm interested in is an expert in geology to take a gander at this and explain it all away, to show earth photos of similar wind-blown features from an ancient lake bottom or shoreline and to laugh at us in our folly. And a Nobel Prize winner working in biological pattern recognition to come by and scoff, nothing less then scoff, and leave without a word.

To further play Devil's advocate, this doesn't look like bony or shell structure or impression, if anything it looks like a few well-shaped but differently sized rocky extensions from a central rock face lump with a convenient central mound and common rocky vuggy porosity. The coincidental luck of the draw as that bottom solid rock (reminding me not at all of something related to an eroded portion or latched extension of a bivalve hinge) dashes any question of a non-rockiness origin. Not to mention the objects semi-well defined sunken enclosure with surrounding arched walls topped with a multi-protrusional seashell-like rim running along the edges of each of the segmented extensions which accents this imaginary nonsense. All we have is an overall patch of calcium deposit shaped like one of those half-suns that some are so fond of. As a momentarily Devils advocate this makes me yawn, it is so boring. Even talking about it is a waste of photons, so I'll move on to something more important, like ghosts piloting a UFO, or that dancing bear cub. Did I ever tell you about the time that...

And here user Wildespace explains and takes us to task on another set of photos on another thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

wildespace
Here's another definition for "vuggy porosity":

Porosity with high aspect ratio (spherical) commonly caused by the dissolution of calcareous material.

subsurfwiki.org...

"Calcareous" is an adjective meaning mostly or partly composed of calcium. Curiosity has seen plenty of such calcium-based minerals, such as gypsum. These minerals had formed veins, wrinkles, hollows, and other interesting features.

But you folk see the word "fossils" on Wikipedia, and take it as far as suggesting that NASA admits the possibility (or certainty) of life on Mars. That's not how it works, sorry.

Calcium and gypsum may have nickeled and dimed us once again.

Or have they?

edit on 22-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   

The difficult part here is that we always observe this from the human perspective. . Assuming of what we see could be build the same way we di on earth. Now I'm a believer when it comes to distant civilizations probably millions or maybe billions of years ago. I also embrace the theory that the first of man could be coming from mars.

The fan like object could also be a prehistoric seashels or something else from that period . But I also like to play with the idea that this old civilization did use the same physics as we do , and at some point we can assume that they did.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Curious find! There are Mastcam images pointing in that direction, but they don't go low enough to cover that particular area. Damn!

Here's a cross-eye stereo pair from the images mars.jpl.nasa.gov... and mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
the three pictures found so far.
ive managed to cobble together, ill make an on spot animation soon , the differences in perspective will show a little more detail hopefully

funBox

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Here's a vid of Curiosity's path as it approaches Murray Buttes (from a very good thread by Blister linked below). Can someone tell where on this video Curiosity was when it photographed the image of the "spoke"? Thanks. (best watched in full screen):

Blister's thread "Curiosity's Destination": www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   

do such local regions have names yet? maybe we could call it something relevant
"the place of many spokes"?

well im not sure the animation helps

funBox

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by funbox

Your newest animation and its quick flow allows the viewer to see how the object seems to be all one piece, a piece that is elevated, has depth, and includes that seashell-shaped undulating edge which runs around and is attached to the "spokes". The edge has indentions and swoops (the technical term for swoops is "crusty ridealongs"). Your vid workup makes this quite clear.

Awaiting some geological expert to poke their pointy little head in and tell us what this is from their perspective.

EDIT: I've been watching the "bottom" section (nearest the ground) where there seems to be a solid piece and maybe it isn't solid, it has a sight hint of being two more spokes but possibly with dust/sand covering the section in-between them. The edge could easily have gone underground (covered with the sand) for a bit there, as it leads right to the sand and then seems to come out again on cue on the other side.

The right side of the object, on the other hand, seems to be a piece of solid rock which has some interesting features which should also be visually analyzed as pertains to the spoke-object by said wandered geologist. This right-hand rock face rises a bit above the spoke, and I'd almost say it looks like it's been broken off to reveal the spoke but there are no broken pieces laying about that I can see. It seems to also continue the objects shape (not quite round but nearly so).

This is one of those discoveries that if Curiosity hasn't traveled too far away, and if I were running NASA with an iron fist, I'd turn Curiosity back to grab a close-up and a drill test of this thing. Does anyone have a contact there to either call or email, and maybe someone can post the link to BuzzDengue's post containing the object and the subsequent funbox graphics on a blog or website that NASA folk follow (I don't know any of those sources or contacts myself) and, with a one-percent chance, this can actually occur.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
This could be big because i have downloaded an image near there which has the crashed craft and a aliens burnt head-give me 2 secs.
Ok peeps mars.jpl.nasa.gov... the head is around 5 oclock in this image and the wreckage is all over the place but mostly around 6 oclock.
The alien head has the remnants of a helmet.
This deserves its own thread but if any of you believers can post the image for me then i would be thankful.
Could the turbine be from the wreckage in this image.
edit on 22-1-2014 by symptomoftheuniverse because: added extra info

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by symptomoftheuniverse

I'm looking but all I see are rocks, with a rock chaser. Buzz's find is so unique and identifiable (it doesn't look mechanical as much as either a fossil or a rock) that it stands out immediately when focused in on. Your helmeted head, if I'm looking at the right one, is a rock, but unless you can post some pics maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot. I know it's not easy hearing someone say "rocks", been there experienced that (my "skeleton" "find" last week was moved to jokes, then to the trash bin, and only after jeep showed me how it was pixel distortion did I agree).

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   

I have been an ats long enough to know what kind of replies to expect. I will start a thread about the head in due time. The head is around 5 oclock mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

People will see what their eyes will allow ,but the wreckage and the head in my oppinion speak for themselfs.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
And here is the same head but this time its around 8 oclock mars.jpl.nasa.gov... images from sol 513
Note the debris field

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join