It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity: Potential Anomalies (Update 01/2014)

page: 42
<< 39  40  41    43  44  45 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   

I hope I am posting this in the correct thread. I have just been exploring around on a map link that was suggested to me to check out. Curiosityrover.comIs this a legit site? The reason I ask is that they have a map that one can zoom around on and I happen to see the following anomaly. I am not sure if this is legit, if it is, has anyone seen this before? The rock is lit up just so that it looks like a figurehead (upper center and upper right corner) similar to what one would see out at Mount Rushmore was my first thought since it is jutting out over a valley.

I tried to get the pics in 2 different zooms, but it kept throwing my main image to the side. You can find the actual site on the map located: 137.41360,-4.6260. I am new to this, just was curious about the geology, but this does stand out. The pics were taken at what the map marker said 500 ft and 200 ft elevation. Any info or assistance in getting a better pic of this would be greatly appreciated.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Char-Lee

Have you ever read this about the doctoring of photos? Do you know if it was discussed on ATS?

A Curiosity of Spirit (FULL DOCUMENT)
astroengineer.wordpress.com...-47

Interesting read, starting looking into this and will certainly read the full blog entry later on ... pretty detailed, don't know what to think about it at this point, but that certainly reminds me of Curiosity's memory glitch where they had to switch A/B sides of the onboard computers.

However, given some of the anomalies discussed in this thread (and some of the stuff Spirit & Opportunity imaged, more or less in low-res), I have a hard time believing that none of the experts over at NASA/JPL wanted to acquire high resolution images of some of these rather unusual features.
edit on 10-2-2014 by jeep3r because: text

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by CynConcepts

That's a very interesting Mt. Rushmore image, one of the Kings of Barsoom I believe. It is a very good shape, or rock image. Yes, this is a good thread for this, as many things of interest have shown up here, and you do get some good analysis of the image or object.

That's as large as I could make it with my limited knowledge of how photoshop works (sometimes the image comes out larger, sometimes smaller, I don't know why). It can be zoomed in on though. Does anyone know from the photo coordinates how large this would be in real life. What makes it seem interesting is that, for a human brain, it's faced the correct way, has some appropriate sense organs, a nice neck feature, and the eyes, skull, and lack of chest muscle are reminiscent of how humans have been trained to see aliens. So all in all, a nice optical illusion made of smooth rock, or a deliberate sculpture made by an advanced race of beings either visiting or occupying Mars. I'd put my money on the smooth rock illusion, but that's the easy bet.

edit on 10-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   

CynConcepts

I hope I am posting this in the correct thread. I have just been exploring around on a map link that was suggested to me to check out. Curiosityrover.comIs this a legit site? The reason I ask is that they have a map that one can zoom around on and I happen to see the following anomaly. I am not sure if this is legit, if it is, has anyone seen this before? The rock is lit up just so that it looks like a figurehead (upper center and upper right corner) similar to what one would see out at Mount Rushmore was my first thought since it is jutting out over a valley.

I tried to get the pics in 2 different zooms, but it kept throwing my main image to the side. You can find the actual site on the map located: 137.41360,-4.6260. I am new to this, just was curious about the geology, but this does stand out. The pics were taken at what the map marker said 500 ft and 200 ft elevation. Any info or assistance in getting a better pic of this would be greatly appreciated.

I think you mean SCALE rather than elevation!

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

I am not sure but imagine that the size of the head alone is quite large since these pics were captured from the camera position being at 500 feet and 300 feet according to the map zoom marker. It was quite odd to see, so I was curious about the legitimacy of the site or using google mars. Also, ha ha...had no clue what you were referring to (the kings of Barsoom) and thought someone else had captured these images before and they even had a name so I did a google search. The joke is on me.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

CynConcepts

Here's a larger version of your small preview, it should be the correct location on the HiRISE image provided by that site you searched on (which I believe is legit). The feature in question should be where the arrow is:

However, here is another HiRISE image of the same section (normal & white-balanced), and I think that formation is much less visible on these:

The ridges at that crater rim look interesting, but it's actually difficult to see any details at 30cm/pixel resolution. Hope this helps ...

Source Image

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

Yes, I mistyped that. The website map says that the marker is the camera positioning. I was referring to what level I zoomed into to take the pics. Just in case anyone else wanted to find it for themselves.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jeep3r

Thank you for sharing your images.
Yes, I can see it really does get more blurred out where it is difficult to see.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by CynConcepts

No problem, I actually prefer double-checking something over dismissing it straight away as a usual rock formation. Thanks again for posting!

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Here's a little one. A piece of some kind of spokey ring thing.

Oh, and what else would you expect to find in a river?

edit on 10-2-2014 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Char-Lee
Why are some of the pictures small? I can't find any full size version?

I think that they use those smaller images when they just want to get an idea about something, as those as easier to download from Mars than full size photos.

But I may be wrong, obviously.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Blue Shift
Here's a little one. A piece of some kind of spokey ring thing.

Oh, and what else would you expect to find in a river?

edit on 10-2-2014 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)
a sealion(honks like a seal) thats made my day thanks

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Tonnes of anomolies in this upside down pic from sol 535 mars.jpl.nasa.gov... the most interesting imo is at around 5 oclock but first you must turn the image the right way up. You will notice fossil like coral encased in rock. These can not be mineral veins because they are hollow.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   

jeep3r

CynConcepts

However, here is another HiRISE image of the same section (normal & white-balanced), and I think that formation is much less visible on these:

The image I cut and put on the thread is the one below the one you're pointing out, and then there is another one of 'em over in the lower left hand corner. So that makes three heads for the price of one, and if we can grab one more then Mount Rushmore will be complete.

Here are my two, Mutt and Jeff:

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
1. Snake-like crea....errrr....rock
2. I don't know...looks weird...like a part of umbrella or something.
3. Thor's hammer ??? ( I knew it)
4. A tail exhaust from an old Yugo
5. Other part of the tail pipe

This looks like a junkyard. I think curiosty may have took a wrong turn somewhere. Someone's private property.

edit:

forgot the link
edit on 10-2-2014 by MarioOnTheFly because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   

MarioOnTheFly
"This looks like a junkyard."

I agree. I always thought mother nature was a bit of a batch processor in her designs. But that whole photo looks like it's comprised of nothing but odd-looking, tortured, mismatched, non-uniformed garbage. How any of that could have formed naturally is beyond me.

edit on 10-2-2014 by papajake because: typo

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

and all of mars is its litter tray aye? . blue its pet probably escaped , wouldn't surprise me if we spot it again

ahhh.
my heads pounding , I think ive strained my eyes,

reply to post by Char-Lee

, you like the kitty?
, amazing how this marsimal has evolved a pair of Disney's eyes, almost Pluto like, will have to look into the article later , that huge wall of text was intimidating as hell .. my head really is pounding

if ive missed some replies , sorry ill get back on the ball soon

funBox

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
*funbOx gets back on the ball doing seal impressions*

the hills are looking a bit odd..
I see some unusual shadows and a long pipe or rail? hmm is curiosity going in that direction , would be good to take a closer look .. o

bigger gif

sol 539

funBox

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   

MarioOnTheFly
1. Snake-like crea....errrr....rock
2. I don't know...looks weird...like a part of umbrella or something.
3. Thor's hammer ??? ( I knew it)
4. A tail exhaust from an old Yugo
5. Other part of the tail pipe

This looks like a junkyard. I think curiosty may have took a wrong turn somewhere. Someone's private property.

edit:

forgot the link
edit on 10-2-2014 by MarioOnTheFly because: (no reason given)

There are enough weird things in that one photo to keep a person busy a week!
The sand in the middle looks like it was "poured" to cover some nice stuff.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by symptomoftheuniverse

A fish with no bones?

top topics

<< 39  40  41    43  44  45 >>

join