It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity: Potential Anomalies (Update 01/2014)

page: 33
<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by symptomoftheuniverse

marsbats , that would be an interesting one to see , one of the gifs from your last link , defiantly something is flowing/moving

funBox

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by funbox

Its millions of lemmings,or wildebeast perhaps
one of those flows appears to have a substantial shadow, whatever it is ,its absolutly gushing
edit on 5-2-2014 by symptomoftheuniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

funbox
both right and left, hence the two different fixed patterns , erm why your here ArMaP , you got a good link to a science site that describes in depth the water/atmosphere scenario on mars?

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by that.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse
Here you are armap www.universetoday.com...

I remember those when they were published, and I still don't see "water leaving flow channels".

One thing that I didn't see mentioned in that article is that those dark flows, unlike normal water flows, are wider at the bottom, something that made some scientists say that those may be made by sand.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

funbox
briny wet behind the ears , occums razor would suggest that the darkening would be caused by saturation therby lowering the light index reflectivity/absorbtion of the surface, sheesh

Do you have any idea why it takes months for the darker areas to get as as bright as they were before?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse
one of those flows appears to have a substantial shadow, whatever it is ,its absolutly gushing

One thing I noticed some years ago about some of those flows is that the marks they leave are not flat, they appear higher than the rest of the slope, another reason why some scientists think it's sand.

Whatever it is, it doesn't come from the top layer of the soil, it comes from some metres beneath the surface. Unfortunately I don't think that those layers photographed by Curiosity are deep enough to be as old as those that, apparently, produce those flows, we could kill two birds with one stone if they were and if they get that area analysed carefully.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by funbox

I just got back and haven't read any of the posts yet, and came up on this one and I must say, funbox, this is magnificent. I've seen the pictures of this phenomena, have read about it, but seeing the gif you found hits home for the first time how much water is flowing there. It's seeped up from underground, and who knows how much is under there. Satellites should have been able to look under the crust to see if there are lakes, I don't know if they've tried this yet. But yeah, great job of finding it. Now I wander back to catch up on the thread.

lollollol, I forgot to copy the code for the picture and instead popped in the one I had stored on my mouse and after I'd posted this I saw it was the giraffe, lollol at the thought of people reading this post.

I'll leave it up and get the real picture, back in a minute. Alright, here's the masterpiece. Should be enlarged and put on moving postage stamps when are those going to be issued by the way? - (That's worth a thread, methinks, to give more people a chance to answer) - when will postal services in America, Europe, Australia, China, everywhere in fact, began issuing postage stamps with images that move? This gif should be on one of the U.S.'s moving Mars series of 12 stamps honoring the early Mars satellites. And there should be 23 moving-image stamps honoring Curiosity, at a minimum, aye.

edit on 5-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

read your threads properly Aliester

@ ArMaP

possibly not as quick as my jalapenos
, but without closer study , as the man says quoted a page back , its still a mystery..

now wheres my Scooby snax?

water

on this link terminology of both bound by minerals and absorbed by soil is used..hmmm

funBox
edit on 5-2-2014 by funbox because: of a dry lake of wolves

edit on 5-2-2014 by funbox because: of a pain in the ass wolf

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by funbox

My bubble has been bursted, bashed by bubbily. All that aside, what a gif!!! Thanks for the find, and the analysis.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

ArMaP

symptomoftheuniverse

One thing I noticed some years ago about some of those flows is that the marks they leave are not flat, they appear higher than the rest of the slope, another reason why some scientists think it's sand.

Whatever it is, it doesn't come from the top layer of the soil, it comes from some metres beneath the surface. Unfortunately I don't think that those layers photographed by Curiosity are deep enough to be as old as those that, apparently, produce those flows, we could kill two birds with one stone if they were and if they get that area analysed carefully.
salty water turning to ice then slowly sublimating perhaps. Whats the time frame for those gifs? It almost looks like a mars quake dislodged a lot of sand but that would only take seconds.. Thats why it must be water freezing like stalagmites or tites,the slowly evaporating. The residue left behind? Mars ultra thin dust perhaps?Maybe the permafrost is not that deep? Pure speccy ofcourse

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   

ArMaP

symptomoftheuniverse

To my eye (and ear, as I can hear the water gushing down the slope from afar, whoosh, whoooosh) or my pure imagination, as the good Mr. Wonka would say, the water has carved these channels into the sand through many large flows. Disregarding the length of the gif's flow for the moment, look at the massive amount of channels have been cut into the sand down the entire length of the photograph. So a very large volume of whatever it is comes out when it comes out.

So maybe what we are seeing is a very large amount of water flowing, enough to rise higher than the channel they are in. I'm going to have to look at it again and come back to finish this post.

EDIT: Back again, have looked at it over and over for about ten minutes or more during the time I've been gone. To me teeny eye it seems that this is likely a natural phenomena occurring that far underneath the mars (as compared to "underneath the earth") under most of it, at least in the area where these photos were taken. Because look, it's all emerging very far beneath the surface, as this is the face of a crater or cave in. And depending on the duration of this sequence, I have no idea how long it portrays, it could be anything from a slow sand flow to a raging emergence of water.

Questions. Why would whatever it is, water or sand, start coming out of so many areas at the same time. Is it that the sun is heating the channel of whatever - in that case it has to be frozen water - so much that a huge amount of it starts to flow from almost everywhere along the length of the crater face at just about the same time. And as oftheuniverse says, in one, or in many areas (seeing it as in many) the flow leaves a shadow which does not then make a channel in the sand. The original plume does, not the shadow, as can be seen from the channel marks already made into the side of the crater from previous flows.

The main argument I can see for it being sand is that there seems to be a darker pile-up under the stuff, in the area where lots of it would fall, which looks like sand. But maybe it's just sand which has been washed out and down by brine water flow. Or maybe it's chocolate, from Wonka's factory, flowing like liquid licorice down the big rock candy mountain.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jeep3r

Great thread i follow all news on these "rocks" that the rover has come across. Mars is a interesting planet i think we will find more things that will make for great discussion.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   

leylandthinker
reply to post by jeep3r

Great thread i follow all news on these "rocks" that the rover has come across. Mars is a interesting planet i think we will find more things that will make for great discussion.

Aye, leylandthinker, welcome to the fun house (by that I mean this thread, but also the site). On this thread ye will come across dragons and lizards, knights standing sentry and Little Green Martians lounging atop what later turn out to be pure entertainment. You will wonder at spokes with rims, snake eating plants (or just plain snake plants), and whirligigs, nippitytuckers and flippityfloppers of all shapes and timespreads. There is a martian head wearing armor, and most things dead, of stony pallor. Put on your goggles, and dive right in, for there are wonders on this thread to behold, my friend. Or for no lack of illustrations by the master funbox, maybe just lots and lots and lots of rocks.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Thanks for the warm welcome
im a newbie to posting and all thar jazz but ive been lurking for the past 5 years. Your reply made me chuckle i hope to see more of your flippityflops

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by leylandthinker

goede dag

I hope you brought your good eye and slightly slanted imagination

here there be dragons and wormy protrusions, enjoy

sol533mast

funBox
edit on 6-2-2014 by funbox because: ofdreagonwolfs

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
In keeping with this thread as a depository of other threads as well, here's a good thread on the Joker/pharaoh "statue head" that Blackcat13 placed on this thread earlier, found independently by Cavedweller88 (great Mars explorers think alike):

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 6-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Those darn mineral veins get everywhere,i hate them! mars.jpl.nasa.gov... are these mineral veins responsible for the stick sticky out bits in the center of this image. Get your eye in and there everywhere. Here there be stick monsters

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   

looks like it , maybe they are heavily minerally 'bound' with water and are sort of growing ?
nice spot

sol529

funBox
edit on 6-2-2014 by funbox because: linx

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   

funbox

looks like it , maybe they are heavily minerally 'bound' with water and are sort of growing ?
nice spot

sol529

funBox
edit on 6-2-2014 by funbox because: linx
i diddnt notice them ones lol my sticks are where you placed your zooms. Bang center, sticking out sideways. They are only tiny wee things. mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   
That front wheel looks a bit deep. mars.jpl.nasa.gov... They are taking one hell of a risk.

top topics

<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join