It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity: Potential Anomalies (Update 01/2014)

page: 130
<< 127  128  129    131  132  133 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by AnomalysMonaLysa

I think there is a NASA ruler out there somewhere. Armap or Aleister once gave me a link where you can compare your object to a known size object...not sure where...

Anyway...just dropped in to say hi, you wacky space rockers....

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   

I couldn't resist putting this up when I looked closer at those images you posted earlier:

I just dotted in the eyes

One is a Mars Bear just lazily watching the rover rummage around, and he is pretending to be a bear rug.
The one back a bit is wondering what that rover contraption is..

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by alienreality

Awww, Mars bear is too cute!
The other guy kinda reminds me of a thundercat.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   

alienreality
I find it difficult to understand how a supposedly barren planet can have things that look so suspicious on it.

That's easy, the suspicion is in the person's mind.

edit on 2/4/2014 by ArMaP because: Missed the "in"

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   

ArMaP

alienreality
I find it difficult to understand how a supposedly barren planet can have things that look so suspicious on it.

Please give yourself 10 stars for me (I tried and tried but could only click-in one). Talking about machine parts and plastic bags and doll heads is fine if you're joking around and playing with your deeply-ingrained brain-references, but being serious....happily much of that was done on April fool's day. I don't really mind anyone doing that, and actually enjoy it and lol sometimes, I just want to separate myself a little from it by trying to give ArMap 10 stars, grrrrrrrr, darn ATS coding.
edit on 2-4-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   

AnomalysMonaLysa
reply to post by alienreality

Awww, Mars bear is too cute!
The other guy kinda reminds me of a thundercat.

Very cute stuff (to anyone looking at them, the eyes were photoshopped in). Reminds me of Char-Lee's broken-pixel-eyed marskunk thing.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   

MarioOnTheFly

I think there is a NASA ruler out there somewhere. Armap or Aleister once gave me a link where you can compare your object to a known size object...not sure where...

Anyway...just dropped in to say hi, you wacky space rockers....

Not me, I couldn't measure a rock from a hard place.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

ArMaP

alienreality

True, however, when I say these things it doesn't mean that I believe there are actual machine parts and piles of nuts and bolts everywhere, only that these things don't show up in non NASA images like this, and that also doesn't necessarily mean I believe these things are really there, and as I said a bunch of posts back that there is probably a less than perfect algorithm in the image processing that does a little "frappe" to the data plus a bit of intermix with other error prone data systems and finally:

"Voila" we get images of smoky the bear missing his hat
and booboo next to him, plus lots of other toys to play with ha-ha
In fact, I have never seen so many faces in anything before, and NASA even has an online blog page or section for people to find new faces in the images. Based on that it is unsafe to trust these images too much, especially in the finer details..

But I can see that in the carefree way I usually present things, it would be easy to interpret much of what I say as a bit gullible or naïve.. note that I usually do remember to include "looks like" when I discuss all the impossible things seen in a lot of these images..

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   

alienreality
True, however, when I say these things it doesn't mean that I believe there are actual machine parts and piles of nuts and bolts everywhere, only that these things don't show up in non NASA images like this, and that also doesn't necessarily mean I believe these things are really there, and as I said a bunch of posts back that there is probably a less than perfect algorithm in the image processing that does a little "frappe" to the data plus a bit of intermix with other error prone data systems and finally:

Non NASA images?

As for an image processing algorithm, as I have said in other threads, I don't think there's any thing like that today, something that can change an image without leaving traces of its actions.

In fact, I have never seen so many faces in anything before, and NASA even has an online blog page or section for people to find new faces in the images.

Could you post a link or a name? Thanks in advance.

Based on that it is unsafe to trust these images too much, especially in the finer details..

I agree with the "especially in the finer details" part, as there's the most compression/contrast problems appear and where most "anomalies" are found.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Aleister

ArMaP

alienreality

Please give yourself 10 stars for me (I tried and tried but could only click-in one). Talking about machine parts and plastic bags and doll heads is fine if you're joking around and playing with your deeply-ingrained brain-references, but being serious....happily much of that was done on April fool's day. I don't really mind anyone doing that, and actually enjoy it and lol sometimes, I just want to separate myself a little from it by trying to give ArMap 10 stars, grrrrrrrr, darn ATS coding.

I might joke around, but when it comes to finding these anomalies, I'm very serious. Maybe we are sometimes swayed by our "deeply-ingrained brain references," but to deny that objects like the "wrench" in Sol527 appear to have been manufactured and are not part of the natural landscape, is just as bad as someone who sees a martian lurking behind every rock.
I list the objects as they appear to me, without employing a mental "Mars filter." If this means opening myself up to ridicule because I see things like dolls and plastic bags, then so be it! I don't say to myself, "Wow, that sure looks like a plastic bag to me. But I dare not post such things because everyone knows that there's no plastic bags on the surface of Mars!"
I think that we should be viewing these images without context, which would effectively eliminate any preconceived notions of what type of objects we might discover.This means that we must start by stripping away everything that isn't undisputed fact and use this and this only as a frame of reference. And really, so far there's one inarguable fact in all of this: These images are of a rocky, barren, desert-like area. That's it! Stripped of all labels, explanations, and opinions, this is the only thing that we know to be a fact about these images, and the only thing that should be taken into consideration when viewing them.
P.S. I stand behind my assertion that this looks exactly like a tied plastic bag.

P.P.S. Ditto!

edit on PM4201404pmWednesday1412Apr2014 by AnomalysMonaLysa because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Thanks for the long comment, appreciated. It does look "like" a plastic bag from one point of view, and we've found many things here that look like earthlike objects. I've called many things here by names like that, but have also posted that I've only seen a handful of objects which are unique enough to get a geologist and an exo-marine biologist on speed dial. I guess what I was thinking was I hope that discoveries of solid potentials are not overlooked by people who can scoff at threads like this, and people like us, by pointing out our way-out-theres. And as I type I realize I've done this too, and if some of my posts were taken out of context they could be used to make all of us look like fools. So that's why I appreciate your detailed comment and explanation - if someone says "AnomalysMonaLysa" (great name, I think as I type it out) says such and such is on Mars what a crock, I can now point that person to your good explanation. I guess that's all I was getting at. And yes, it does look like a plastic bag, and that wrench thing is still unexplained as far as I know.

We need to find more of each.

OK, please forgive me my seriousness and general grrrrrrrrrr nature about this stuff today, I do apologize. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I was wrong about only seeing mass faces in mars images, and have seen the same effect of pareidolia in other images with comparable resolutions and compression methods, or algorithms of reconstruction..Did that today. and it is something I have never bothered checking out in the past.

The one used for the mast cam is similar to the jpeg 2000 type but not as computationally complex. I don't know if this means that the rover images are going to show more false anomalous hits, perhaps just with the small stuff.

I have been looking for that link forever it seems, for the page that has an interactive thing with finding faces.
It was on one of the interactive panoramic or maybe gigapan images that had a option for "snapshots" then from that, there was a sub link to "find a face" that people could do if they first login on that site. And I can't seem to find it now.. I have searched and all I get is not it --hehe.. grrrr..

When I had that on my screen yesterday, you could click on a list of snapshots and the panoramic viewer would auto zoom to that person's snapshot and you could see the "face" that they caught in their snapshot.. Probably intended more as a kid's novelty or student thing, but still interesting for a couple minutes

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Do all those things look the same in a better quality, not resampled image?

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Aleister

Thanks for the long comment, appreciated. It does look "like" a plastic bag from one point of view, and we've found many things here that look like earthlike objects. I've called many things here by names like that, but have also posted that I've only seen a handful of objects which are unique enough to get a geologist and an exo-marine biologist on speed dial. I guess what I was thinking was I hope that discoveries of solid potentials are not overlooked by people who can scoff at threads like this, and people like us, by pointing out our way-out-theres. And as I type I realize I've done this too, and if some of my posts were taken out of context they could be used to make all of us look like fools. So that's why I appreciate your detailed comment and explanation - if someone says "AnomalysMonaLysa" (great name, I think as I type it out) says such and such is on Mars what a crock, I can now point that person to your good explanation. I guess that's all I was getting at. And yes, it does look like a plastic bag, and that wrench thing is still unexplained as far as I know.

OK, please forgive me my seriousness and general grrrrrrrrrr nature about this stuff today, I do apologize. Thanks.

Wow! Well you could totally knock me over with a feather! All afternoon I've been steeling myself for some verbal "raking over the coals" by some of my fellow ATSers who have been making fun of my observations since I've begun posting here. Only to discover that your seemingly mocking attitude stems from your sincere wish that we, as a group, be taken seriously.
Apology accepted. And I do wholeheartedly agree with you. I too want our findings to be taken seriously by the masses. However, I refuse to hold back my opinions for fear of ridicule. I label the object a plastic bag because this is the closest thing my limited terrestrial vocabulary can come up with. Heck, for all I know, I could be looking at some type of Martian lifeform, possibly a species of desert-dwelling jellyfish! However, having never before laid eyes on a desert-dwelling jellyfish, I'm forced to identify this shiny mystery blob as what it most resembles in my mental catalog of known objects: thus to me it's a "plastic bag."

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

AnomalysMonaLysa

Aleister

Heck, for all I know, I could be looking at some type of Martian lifeform, possibly a species of desert-dwelling jellyfish! However, having never before laid eyes on a desert-dwelling jellyfish, I'm forced to identify this shiny mystery blob as what it most resembles in my mental catalog of known objects: thus to me it's a "plastic bag."

You are entirely correct, and I love the concept of a desert-dwelling jellyfish. You may have invented a new animal (I've never heard of that combination before). I end up with martian egg on my face, and take back nine of ArMap's stars. lol.

Edit: my lol reminded me of a thread I wrote and haven't thought of since it petered out. I'll bump it! www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister
[more

Uhoh! Please tell me that your martian egg doesn't look like this. If it does, run!!!
Oh No! To late! Alien egg on your face!
Hold on, Aleister! I'm coming to help you!!!!!!!!!!!!
ARGHHHH!! BLLLERFFF!!

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

This is the original image I used. I've not altered it in any way: marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:49 AM
link   

I think you've gone mars blind , see, that's what happens if you look at too many mars pics ,, plastc bags?

no .. I think your on a piss take Dru

funBox

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   

AnomalysMonaLysa
This is the original image I used. I've not altered it in any way: marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

I know that, and I didn't say that you altered the image in any way, I just posted the same areas from a processed (by NASA or other team working on the MER mission) version of that image, as those processed images are much better than the ones posted on the Marsrovers site.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

So the "wrench" was an optical illusion of shadow and light? Rocks abound where wrenches should be, sayeth the fnord.

I can see how the "wrenches" socket-space is seen as a former shadow when the rock is sunlit.

new topics

top topics

<< 127  128  129    131  132  133 >>

join