It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity: Potential Anomalies (Update 01/2014)

page: 117
<< 114  115  116    118  119  120 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

funbox
reply to post by ArMaP

unfortunately I do not have that luxury atm, but, I thought on each rexplaination I offered enough for anyone to clearly see the corner.. and I may be wrong ,.. see, it was a question to Symptomsoftheuniverce, I was asking if I had the right foundations/rockfromations blown up/ exploded / zoomed .. he hasn't retorted yet , so we both could be far far from the right corner

the anticipation is killing me , but I think he could have been referring to at least one of the corners ive tried, it seems in vain , to example

recap

the closest zoom to my asserted corner/ foundation

enhanced with brick and fire , but slightly less zoomed

any clearer and I might start thinking your winding me up / bear baiting

BearBox
anticipate no more lol. Bit of a petty silly argument i might add.
The whole image speaks for itself in my oppinion. I can see many rectangles espeicially yours funbox.
These are obviously ancient ruins. A bit like these which are not very old at all m.flickr.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

What's your opinion of the imprint in the rock just above and to the right of the smaller rock with the shape in it - could it have fallen off of the larger rock?

Here's another interesting Wikipedia page, a timeline of the mission, and they now seem to be actually looking for fossils (or signs of them), although I'm not clear on the language:

en.wikipedia.org...

On January 24, 2014, NASA reported that current studies by the Curiosity and Opportunity rovers will now be searching for evidence of ancient life, including a biosphere based on autotrophic, chemotrophic and/or chemolithoautotrophic microorganisms, as well as ancient water, including fluvio-lacustrine environments (plains related to ancient rivers or lakes) that may have been habitable. The search for evidence of habitability, taphonomy (related to fossils), and organic carbon on the planet Mars is now a primary NASA objective.

emphasis mine. I'd either missed this or forgotten it.

Taphonmy, Wikipedia page:

en.wikipedia.org...

Taphonomists study such phenomena as biostratinomy, decomposition, diagenesis, and encrustation and bioerosion by sclerobionts. (Sclerobionts are organisms which dwell on hard substrates such as shells or rocks.)

One motivation behind taphonomy is to better understand biases present in the fossil record. Fossils are ubiquitous in sedimentary rocks, yet paleontologists cannot draw the most accurate conclusions about the lives and ecology of the fossilized organisms without knowing about the processes involved in their fossilization. For example, if a fossil assemblage contains more of one type of fossil than another, one can either infer that that organism was present in greater numbers, or that its remains were more resistant to decomposition.

So are they officially doing the same thing we're doing on this thread? If so, they must have been either seeing the things we've been seeing (or reading this page) or BlueShift and Char-Lee are NASA/JPL employees and are just portraying a robot and a pretty eye. Hmmmmmm.

edit on 24-3-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by symptomoftheuniverse

What do you mean by "corner"?

hee hee

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

funbox
the markings in the picture Char-Lee brought to our attention , the diagonal ones, or the circular one , are these from the wheels , because ive not seen them before , the diagonal ones that are apparent throughout the entire picture..

I haven't looked at all the photos, but this one shows those marks made by the wheel, specially on the bottom left corner. I think that in the photo Char-Lee posted they are more noticeable because of the angle the light is coming from.

I still don't understand what "circular" you are talking about, the dark spot?

edit on 24/3/2014 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Aleister
So are they officially doing the same thing we're doing on this thread?

I doubt that they point to every thing and call it a fossil.

But yes, I think the idea is the same.

If so, they must have been either seeing the things we've been seeing (or reading this page) or BlueShift and Char-Lee are NASA/JPL employees and is just portraying a robot and an eye. Hmmmmmm.

That's a possibility.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Aleister

What do you mean by "corner"?

hee hee
a bluieberry fruit corner ofcourse

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Yes, but remember that wasn't part of the original mission statement or purpose. They just added it on in late January, if I'm reading the page right. Soooooo, there must be reasons for adding onto a well-prepared and likely argued over Mission Statement, so this may indicate we aren't loony as bluebirds in winter but are actually on the right track. And you are our leader (others would say Arken has that honor but we on this thread know better).

As for this thread, it's coming up on double the posts of the next nearest Mars thread on ATS. A very good culture has been created here, and now knowing that NASA/JPL are on the same page makes it a little more fun (plenty of fun before).

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Char-Lee
It seems as though enormous heat was applied to Mars and actually melted rock, some blew up like balloons and then popped making them hollow some melted on the rims and others turned black and some to blops.

I don't think so, there aren't any signs of metamorphic rocks and no signs of melted sand.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Some more ruin pics,this one has a alleyway heading of to the distance and can you imagine a doorway just inwards from 9 oclock?. mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse
Some more ruin pics,this one has a alleyway heading of to the distance and can you imagine a doorway just inwards from 9 oclock?. mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

I didn't look for that because when I opened the page this jumped out at me (GET IT OFF! GET IT OFF!), lower left-hand corner:

Bingo?

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Aleister
Yes, but remember that wasn't part of the original mission statement or purpose. They just added it on in late January, if I'm reading the page right.

Apparently, they started thinking about that change in December.

Soooooo, there must be reasons for adding onto a well-prepared and likely argued over Mission Statement, so this may indicate we aren't loony as bluebirds in winter but are actually on the right track.

I wouldn't say on the right track, but the idea behind it is not a crazy idea.

And you are our leader (others would say Arken has that honor but we on this thread know better).

I'm not a leader of anything.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Aleister
What's your opinion of the imprint in the rock just above and to the right of the smaller rock with the shape in it - could it have fallen off of the larger rock?

It would have had to swing open like a door, not fall off. The impression on the larger rock isn't clear enough for me to say, and I suspect it might be an imaging artifact.

So are they officially doing the same thing we're doing on this thread? If so, they must have been either seeing the things we've been seeing (or reading this page) or BlueShift and Char-Lee are NASA/JPL employees and are just portraying a robot and a pretty eye. Hmmmmmm.

I'm just pointing out shapes that are interesting to me. NASA/JPL is in a huge hurry to get to the top of the mountain, though, and isn't taking time to look closer at these things in the low lands.

I find stratification fairly boring unless you have the ability to crack open some layers and see if there are any fossils in-between. Otherwise, it's just layers of sand. Z-z-z-z-z-z....

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Aleister

symptomoftheuniverse

I didn't look for that because when I opened the page this jumped out at me (GET IT OFF! GET IT OFF!), lower left-hand corner:

Bingo?
thats an old fire hydrant.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse

Aleister

symptomoftheuniverse

Bingo?
thats an old fire hydrant.

I found two old fire hydrants once, taken out of the ground and laid in an "empty" lot (a contradiction in terms, knowing how much nature and life there is in what people call "empty lots"), and the bottom part, which goes under the ground, is huge!

So this is where you found the last pic: mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

I wonder how close the Rover was to the encrusted spokey fire hydrant. Far far away, or close enough to sneeze on it?

EDIT: I'll go look for the things you described. Don't you have photochop on your computer, that you can copy and post these pics? ArMap was suggesting earlier we post our own, but for me that's a problem if it's a gigapan, I haven't learned to crop properly on those and usually end up getting a piece of something I was going for and leaving the rest in the sand.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   

ArMaP

Aleister
Yes, but remember that wasn't part of the original mission statement or purpose. They just added it on in late January, if I'm reading the page right.

Apparently, they started thinking about that change in December.

A change which came after years of mission planning and mission execution. So something must have changed, even though they did accomplish their mission of finding water, the type of water, and ascertaining if conditions for past life existed on Mars, etc. This new addition to the mission, in part, sounds a lot like what we are doing here, at least as I'm reading it.

I'm not a leader of anything.

By leader I mean you are the admin in charge of keeping up this thread, and one aspect of having you do that is your past experience on Martian threads which is invaluable. You've taught me, for one, as the weeks and months have gone by. The other benefit of you being here is you've allowed the people here to play. That is so important in a search like this, that we can play and have fun. The best corporations allow their employees to play, for example. I don't know if I would have hung around here and consider it my "home" thread if that wasn't a component of it, so by giving us that leeway you have made this a comfortable place to both search and to discuss what could be called the overall project that this thread has evolved into. So the "leader" comment was my way of saying thanks for all of that and more, which could have been said by a post like this instead.

====

And this, from your source on the mission, a very good article. They make it sound like they are only looking for signs of past molecular life, while we are tossing fossils around like dinner plates and maybe some of the are landing unbroken. And I am confused by the first paragraph, what do they mean when they speak of the "corner"? (smiley face here)

“Our mission is turning a corner,” says Curiosity project scientist John Grotzinger of the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) in Pasadena. “We are beginning to map a way forward, a way to explore deliberately for organic matter.”

Curiosity’s new analyses of sediment from the bed of a long-vanished lake hint that Mars harbors substantial amounts of organic matter of some sort, although no one is yet willing to attribute it to ancient life. And in a martian first, Curiosity has determined how recently surface rocks have been exposed by erosion. That opens the way to more systematic searches for molecular fossils, by showing scientists how to maximize their chances of finding organic matter that was only recently exposed to the ravaging rain of cosmic rays that pours down on Mars.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse

Here's the pic, I couldn't see the doorway, although it may be the opening between the rocks leading into the smooth sandy area.

And darn if the new spokey goblin-impression isn't just sitting right out front, posing for the camera (say "Cheese"), the first big rock up from the bottom on the left hand side. I want a chalk rubbing of it.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Aleister

symptomoftheuniverse

Here's the pic, I couldn't see the doorway, although it may be the opening between the rocks leading into the smooth sandy area.

And darn if the new spokey goblin-impression isn't just sitting right out front, posing for the camera (say "Cheese"), the first big rock up from the bottom on the left hand side. I want a chalk rubbing of it.

thanks for posting the image. I only visit ats on my phone and you cant upload from a phone. Ats dont want real time pics,someone might send some rude selfies in lol.

You have to use your imagination to see the door. Half way between 9 oclock and the center of the image. You walk in ,turn right a bit then left lol. Spokey things are everywhere!

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

Ah yes Aleister eagle eyed spot , cant be long for a download of pictures from curiosity , that rock is close , plus there are two maybe three with it in , defiantly worth getting the gif juice in stock

funBox

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

im not even going to go there
, All I see is sand , and that maybe the dunes in my eyes

funBox
edit on 24-3-2014 by funbox because: w

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

well , they looks the same,it must be slightly wetter soil when we see these markings

as for the circle , hmm there are two that it could be, but I think its the multi circle ,feint lines ,and only partially visable ... Char-Lee ? did we clear that up ?

funBox

top topics

<< 114  115  116    118  119  120 >>

join