It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity: Potential Anomalies (Update 01/2014)

page: 107
<< 104  105  106    108  109  110 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

jeep3r

funbox
reply to post by jeep3r

lots of little white chunks in that, its not what the robotic arm was imaging in sol 571 was it ?
funBox

White chunks, yep, very interesting ... I don't think it's been imaged by MAHLI up to now, I've also seen these formations with concretions and deposits in a sol 542 image:

NASA/JPL Source Image
Image is white-balanced, also looks very 'marine' in nature ...

I was watching a programme the other day , on underwater lava formations , is that what we are seing in some of these irregular amorphous rocks ? only hit hard with surface erosion after the water disappeared ?

underwater lava is an excellent visual munch

funBox

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

funbox

I was watching a programme the other day , on underwater lava formations , is that what we are seing in some of these irregular amorphous rocks ? only hit hard with surface erosion after the water disappeared ?
underwater lava is an excellent visual munch

I guess multiple cataclysms incl. volcanic activity & impact debris have reshaped the surface several times, leaving a variety of strangely formed rocks behind. But here I was thinking about the processes that some rocks on Earth go through when they are exposed to water for an extended period of time.

Stromatolites come to mind (and then leave the mind, if I may quote Aleister). With that said, the chunks remotely reminded me of the rocks here and here.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jeep3r

they do look similar , although it was interesting to read that geologist have yet to find a reliable way of discerning fossil stromatolites from abiotic (geologicaly formed) stromatolites

if the geologists cant do it on earth , the rover and with its pictures has no chance

funBox
edit on 17-3-2014 by funbox because: wolf ate sentence

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

funbox

I don't think so, it looks nothing like lava and has all the characteristics of sedimentary rock like sandstone.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

are we talking about the same rock ? irregular shaped above post ?

pitted surface , amorphous , not to many similarity's then , bar it's colour

funBox
edit on 18-3-2014 by funbox because: grammer wolves

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Arken
So, again, exactly, what they talk about?

Many topics, such as martian geology, aeolian processes, chemical composition, science results from Curiosity, Curiosity's equipment, Curiosity's image and data formats and what to do with them, etc. Are you implying that if you can't talk about exobiology on Mars, then you can't talk about Mars at all?

I see that people have started discussing geology here, so it surprises me when someone says UMSF forum is of no use to them. When someone posts a picture of a weird-looking "anomaly", I think an expert geological opinion should be the first point of call.

Having said that, they do have a "Humor" sub-forum where you can compare martian rocks to creatures.

P.S. and that's just the "MSL" forum. They have many other forums about robotic exploration of the Solar System, often with posts from professionals and people directly involved with those missions. How can anyone deem UMSF useless is beyond me.

edit on 18-3-2014 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

im glad you put humour in quotes, I had to stop reading at page two, at precisely this image

funBox

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by funbox

In their humor ha ha thread of all the images we've picked up on this thread of look-alikes they've only found/posted two of them. One what they called a book and I thought was a container:

...and then that thing near blueit ridge that they call R2 (the large tube like thing). So they missed blueit and all of the other things we've posted that have looked like human heads, Egyptian pharaohs, sea creatures, and all the rest. I want any of what they're not smoking.
edit on 18-3-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

the last page has one of blue-it's distant cousins

is that a grey-it ?

seems a bit more aggressive than the friendlier, yet elusive Blues
at least they have a place to take there white coats off

funBox

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by funbox

I saw that one too but thought it was a photoshop, because we'd have found it. Seems to be one of many that came out of this package:

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Aleister
reply to post by funbox

In their humor ha ha thread of all the images we've picked up on this thread of look-alikes they've only found/posted two of them.

I think that's because they have better things to post or discuss.

107 pages, and this thread has been productive or informative in what way?
edit on 18-3-2014 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Please go back and read and view the whole thread and you'll find some discoveries which "they" couldn't explain-away if you gave them a head-start and a compass.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   

erm .. jpg artefact compression?
, the maxims and minims of zooming in differently framed shot ?

the daily path and picture updates?

whats there to be gleaned from here ?

funBox

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   

funbox

erm .. jpg artefact compression?
, the maxims and minims of zooming in differently framed shot ?

the daily path and picture updates?

whats there to be gleaned from here ?

funBox

Exactly, the helpful technical stuff that is also discussed at UMSF. Pareidolias are fun, but don't really lead anywhere.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   

indeed they are

but sometimes they don't always comprise of odd protrusions and/or shadow and light plays

sometimes they are just made from one object/ (opposed to multifaceted shape generation) ,it make it difficult to define or compare to one thing or another *coughs* *slug*

funBox

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   

wildespace

Exactly, the helpful technical stuff that is also discussed at UMSF. Pareidolias are fun, but don't really lead anywhere.

Who says we're exclusively dealing with pareidolias? Wouldn't that sound like an overgeneralized preconception? And IMO it does lead somewhere, namely to a collection of potential anomalies incl. opinions of others and possible explanations.

UMSF serves a different purpose and a different community. IMO all of that is helpful, in its own right, but here we probably wouldn't want to explore things in the exact same way as they do on UMSF ...

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   

funbox
are we talking about the same rock ? irregular shaped above post ?

I was talking about the rock you included in your post, were you talking about a different rock?

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

yeah , Jeeps rock in the foreground. so your saying its sandstone with larger aggregates ?

your most likely right , the color being more indicative than the dark tones of the underwater lava rock.. cool vid though

but you may have identified the sand , but what of the larger aggregates with it ?

does mahli take requests ?

funBox
edit on 18-3-2014 by funbox because: w

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by funbox

Looks like quite a few shell like shapes in that photo also.

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

How do you "export" pictures with Gimp? i can't find anything that will open them.

top topics

<< 104  105  106    108  109  110 >>

join