It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anybody else glad to see 2013 go away!!?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Yep I'm glad to see 2013 gone. With the lost of my dad two years ago and then mom in September was tough....I am fortunate to have a great woman in my life that helped me through 2013. Cheers 2014 looking forward to a great year.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorChaos

I may sound like a sourpuss, but I have my reasons for it. Let's hear yours for being so optimistic, because I'd love to have a legitimate reason to look forward to anything that's coming down the pike this year.

I have reasons for feeling like a sourpuss also, Prof, but...what good does it do to wallow in your misery?

My reasons for being optimistic are twofold:
It's less painful than dwelling on problems,
and,
things always change; deciding to be miserable about it is a waste of energy. All we have is today, right now. All else is hypothetical.

(Hand-me-downs and thrift-store clothing is perfectly fine for toddlers!! It makes more sense!)

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

wildtimes

I may sound like a sourpuss, but I have my reasons for it. Let's hear yours for being so optimistic, because I'd love to have a legitimate reason to look forward to anything that's coming down the pike this year.

I have reasons for feeling like a sourpuss also, Prof, but...what good does it do to wallow in your misery?

My reasons for being optimistic are twofold:
It's less painful than dwelling on problems,
and,
things always change; deciding to be miserable about it is a waste of energy. All we have is today, right now. All else is hypothetical.

(Hand-me-downs and thrift-store clothing is perfectly fine for toddlers!! It makes more sense!)

I'll give ya a star for the honest response. I can't say I'm getting on board the 'S.S. Optimism' anytime soon, but your honesty is appreciated.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

I agree with trying to maintain a positive outlook, and appreciating what you have. Overall, I'm very happy with my life. Even the hard moments bring challenge and experience that improve my understanding of the world, and I'm grateful for that.

However, I DESPISE the "first world problems" argument. As far as I'm concerned it's akin to someone walking into a room, shooting you in the knee, turning to the guy next to you, shooting him in both knees, and saying to you: "Be grateful, I left you a good knee."

F*** that guy, he shouldn't be shooting anybody, and I have every right to be upset with him.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ValerieDivusen

OKAY OKAY!!!

I wasn't aware that "first world problems" was such a laughable cliche....

I only saw a slide-show about it two years ago...and it made me laugh.

I TAKE IT BACK, alright?

I know we are all somewhere on the spectrum of suffering; I don't mean to dis anyone.

Sorry.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   

wildtimes

I only saw a slide-show about it two years ago...and it made me laugh.

Was it the Dawson's Creek one?

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

No, it was (IIRC) a youtube or email thing.
Showed things like part of a Reese's peanut butter cup stuck on the wrapper; a hangnail; stuff like that.

I'm truly sorry for ruffling anyone.
I guess when I'm feeling 'down', one of the refuges I have is 'first world' thinking - that there are so many people worse off.

Make no mistake, please - the last four years have been veritable HELL for our family - but so far, aside from my dad who died on 2 Aug 2010 - everything is RELATIVELY okay.

It's a day-to-day kind of thing. Husband still has his job; daughter ditto; son is still alive (wherever he is); food, roof, heat, clothing, etc. And people who love me.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Here is hoping for365 days of great things for ya.
Come on 2014!

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   

wildtimes
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

There was truly ONLY one good thing about 2013.

Yeah?? And what was that?
I agree there were some good things, just wondering which is your fave. And I reserve the right to not tell you what my fave is.

HNY, Wrabbit!

Okay, in all seriousness ... On a personal note, this year brought certainty in direction I'm taking through my education and into my second career in life. That is a positive thing. (Geographic Information). Of course, someone at ATS also made a big goof and invited me to join the best bunch of folks on the Internet as Staff. So, I sure can't say 2013 was ALL bad...

In general world terms? I don't honestly see one good thing in geopolitics. The world is less stable, less clear and less safe for nation and man on the street alike, East and West both. The economy looks good in some ways, while on the cliff's edge of a tumble in others. World and National. Flip a coin with cooked books, downright crispy.

OH..Some great space developments for science found and explored very far away! Alright..I suppose there was at least one good thing then.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

this year brought certainty in direction I'm taking through my education and into my second career in life. That is a positive thing.

Awesome!
High five!!!

And, I think you're a great mod (so far!)

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Helpus2014
This is the first year in along while I have never been so glad to see a year go bye bye! Good riddance to a bad vibe year 2013. For some reason Feel pretty good about 2014? Bad guys going down this year?

2013 was just too much for me.

I would be glad to see it go.. IF,

We could live in a great year, like 1979 FOREVER..

Or if we woke up in 1975 and things continue until 1989, and then instead of 1990, we go back to 1979

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Helpus2014

Here is hoping for365 days of great things for ya.
Come on 2014!

For ALL of us!!!!

We may not always all get along; but, this is still a community - a dysfunctional family; a classic and huge example.

I heart you guys

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

wildtimes

No, it was (IIRC) a youtube or email thing.
Showed things like part of a Reese's peanut butter cup stuck on the wrapper; a hangnail; stuff like that.

I'm truly sorry for ruffling anyone.
I guess when I'm feeling 'down', one of the refuges I have is 'first world' thinking - that there are so many people worse off.

Make no mistake, please - the last four years have been veritable HELL for our family - but so far, aside from my dad who died on 2 Aug 2010 - everything is RELATIVELY okay.

It's a day-to-day kind of thing. Husband still has his job; daughter ditto; son is still alive (wherever he is); food, roof, heat, clothing, etc. And people who love me.

Just to be clear, I wasn't ruffled or anything. I've just heard the 'first world' thing a few too many times and I feel that it gets abused in a great many replies.

We all have problems, and whether we're born in the "First World" or the "Third World", problems are problems. As they say, it is worse having loved and lost, than not having loved at all.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

I have to agree. Have a strange feeling every year is gonna get worse over time. We are like sliding toward the Hornest's Nest with all the things happening in the world.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

IF,

We could live in a great year, like 1979 FOREVER..

Ahhh... yes!!!!

That was a great year. College. You know.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Helpus2014

Yes, OP. I agree with you entirely.

There was truly ONLY one good thing about 2013. The damn thing ended, like all years eventually do. No but. No ..and. Just happy it finally ended.

THIS !

Exactly. Good riddance 2013. Truly hope that 2014 is better, I'm getting too old for this s*...

Nevertheless, Happy New Year Everybody !

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

wildtimes
reply to post by VariableConstant

Of course it's only symbolic, but feels like I limped to the 2013 finish line broke, busted, and heartbroken. Hopefully the new year will be better. Keep moving forward.

You aren't alone.
2013 was not much different from the last 4 years - dealing with job-loss, death in the family, child in crisis, brother's brain tumor, spouse nearly died, car did die, other unforeseen and put-off expenses....

Wow. Quite a coincidence. Not only did I almost die twice this year but we lost the car too in a horrible accident and I lost my job. Still recovering. 2013 sucked but there were moments of Light too. The Light is the only thing that kept me going.

But we are adjusting to a car free biking lifestyle. Not easy in Minnesota this time of year but its making us stronger.

edit on 1-1-2014 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Can't say I feel that way. Same chit different name.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Sadly 2013 will be refered to as the good ole Days. This is the year you will meet the minions of your masters. The blind fold will be torn off and denial will have expiry date.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Glad to see 2013 over!

I actually stayed up until midnight this year. Not necessarily to bring 14 in but to kick 13 out.

May this year be better for us all.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join