It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ten most amazing archaeological discoveries of 2013: Title of article

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   
www.ancient-origins.net...

Archaeologists uncovered the incredible remains of a complete Thracian carriage and two horses that appear to have been buried upright. The horses and carriage were found in a Thracian tomb along with other artefacts in the village of Svestari in north-east Bulgaria.

In March of this year, a group of archaeologists in Turkey made a spectacular discovery – the ‘Gate to Hell’, also known as Pluto’s Gate, which was known in Greco-Roman mythology and tradition as the portal to the underworld. Now archaeologists have recovered two unique marble statues which acted as guardians for a deadly cave

A group of scientists and historians made an incredible discovery relating to some writings made on parchments that were produced in medieval times. Using cutting-edge technology, the researchers found that the parchment had once contained ancient philosophical writings that had later been washed off and over-written

King Antiochus 1, ruler of Commagene from 70 BC to 36BC, an ancient Armenian kingdom, was a most unusual king. He claimed descent from Greek conqueror Alexander the Great on his mother’s side, and from the Persian King Darius the Great on his father’s side

The ancient text revealed that the giant stones were slid from a quarry 70 kilometres away on specially constructed sledges, dragged over slippery paths of wet ice by a team of men over 28 days. The workers dug wells every 500 metres to get water to pour on the ice to lubricate it, which made it easier to slide the rocks.

Archaeologists uncovered thousands of Stone Age underground tunnels, stretching across Europe, perplexing researchers as to their original purpose.

They’d impregnated the glass with particles of silver and gold, ground down until they were as small as 50 nanometres in diameter, less than one-thousandth the size of a grain of table salt.

They discovered that the city extends for 35 square kilometres, rather than the 9 kilometres that had previously been mapped from the ground, and they found that Angkor was an incredibly well thought out city .

In what will become one of the most significant discoveries in Nepal in decades, archaeologists have found the birthplace of Buddha and therefore the origins of Buddhism.

The remarkable new analysis revealed substantial evidence that suggests the pharaoh died after being struck by a speeding chariot, and that a hasty embalming process caused his mummified body to spontaneously combust in his sarcophagus. Tests revealed that Tutankhamun’s flesh had been burnt and chemical tests revealed that this occurred while he was sealed inside his coffin.

Some of these 2013 discoveries have been posted on ATS over the last year. This is the first time I have seen all of these discoveries located and discussed in one location..

Happy New year and no telling what 2014's discoveries will be?

intellihub.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

The goblet thingy was the coolest.

S&F

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I thought the 300 million year old machine part found in the coal was a nice find as well.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Cool thread sky

That was a fascinating read, and bookmarked the site

Thanks and a Happy new year to you SnF

Cody

edit on 1/1/14 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Thanks Sky S&F ...I had read a little on some of these but want to get back at it and catch up on anything I had missed . Happy new year to you and yours ...peace to all

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Reading about King Tut's charred body was news to me. I had no idea they found that information out and the subsequent studies that show everything that took place. Excellent find!

I will have to read through these individually and determine my own personal order of relevance now!

Off to the Batcave!

*S&F*

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   

lotusfoot
I thought the 300 million year old machine part found in the coal was a nice find as well.

They're just boring old fossils I'm afraid,in this case crinoid stems......

doubtfulnews.com...

I love the one about the Chinese moving the massive blocks of stone with home made portable black ice.Makes the ancient Egyptians building the pyramids look like they were playing with Lego bricks.

Oh and why the hell was king Tut kneeling down in the middle of a chariot race,I'm surprised there hasn't been a health and safety investigation into it? (LOL!)

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Cool thread...... very interesting!

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Thank you SO much! Bookmarked the site. Currently very interested in underground cities and networks. Thanks again, sofi.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

soficrow
reply to post by 727Sky

Thank you SO much! Bookmarked the site. Currently very interested in underground cities and networks. Thanks again, sofi.

Thank you all for the replies.... When I came across this I figured it would have a little something for many at ATS...

My New Year was at the farm in Northern Thailand. Must have had 30 people to include a Monk outside eating and (a few drinking)..... a few fire works, but mostly blessings and wishes of good luck for the coming year. Being a poor farming community ( actually all over Thailand) engagements, new years, or many other occasions, "in a small ceremony" a piece of string is tied around a persons wrist after an impromptu prayer is said.. It is actually a wish for the receiver to be blessed with good life and happiness. I had enough string to make a rope afterwards ( a small short rope) and when it was all said and done I truly felt blessed with my life. I guess another way to look at it would be at peace and happy with our life.

I would have tied a string around the world for happiness and peace but, alas, it will have to be a mental string..

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Mental string is good.

Just send it off and around.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
That's amazing! When you read about all these discoveries, it's like they find something special every single day. Nice read

top topics

join