It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Retirement unlikely for some blue-collar Americans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
The elite's class war against the American middle class seems to be working as intended. As they keep taking away one benefit after another a lot of people are losing faith and losing hope. I think the plan is that eventually people will just accept anything they are given no matter how meager.

Retirement unlikely for some blue-collar Americans

seattletimes.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   
No doubt. Wonder where that leaves folks like me who are in their 30's,out of work due to 2 back surgeries, and are dependent on social security/ disability. I have 6 kids and myself, sure when I was employed I made money hand over fist, but going on year 6 now of being out of work it's all gone already. I have sold just about anything of monetary value except the house we live in. For some reason this Christmas has been really hard, we pulled it off but will be strapped even more for the forseeable future. I can say I truly know how the older people feel......

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   
In the new America, retirement is not a plan. You are not expected to use that part of your life. You are expected to produce for the corporate sponsored government untill your usefullness is at an end, then you are required to go away to clear the path for more workers.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Americans have it better than anyone else in world why are they complaining?

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

You're kidding right? We have it better than a large portion of the world, how large depends on your definition of "better" but we certainly don't have it best.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Retirement used to be talked about by my parents and grandparents - social security was counted on (that's what they were taught). With each generation this ideal has dwindled (very noticeable). Grandparents were able to do it although not even close to well off - managed. My parents - still work yet are of the age one used to get social security and actually be able to live off of it (along with whatever meager bits saved for this landmark time). They can't retire - due to the cost of living it seems. Me - I don't even think of it because I see how things are.

We were warned in the 80's maybe (90's?), that this ideal goal should not be counted on. Reasons were given and we are seeing some of them now (mainly - cost of living and social security getting cut/age raised, etc). It's really hard to save when milk is $4.00 a gallon or a candy bar is a dollar or more. While we haven't seen inflation in food as bad as we have taxes (soc security/state/fed), and things like fuel - it's substantial. It hasn't slowed down or reversed itself since I've been alive and able to buy things for myself (minus a sale or short term fuel reduction).

When I tell my kid that I used to be able to get a soda, candy bar, some ding dongs or hostess cupcakes, and some penny candies for a dollar he looks perplexed. What will it cost when he is my age? Will he be saying "son - when I was a child you could buy a snickers for 1.25. Those were the days". I don't even want to think about what it will be like for people in 30-40 years.

new topics

top topics

join