It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do I convert my video file to upload to Youtube???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I'm trying to upload a video to my youtube account but it says I need to convert it. I'm so clueless on how to do this. I took the video with my camera and loaded it to iPhoto.

I am using iPhoto to upload to youtube and under "info" on iPhoto it says this:

And youtube tells me to do one of these and I have no idea which one to click on because I don't know the format from iPhoto.

Thanks in advance

Just remember I am NOT computer savy so be specific

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
You should be able to just run it through a standard media converter.

I like to use ConverterLite, which is completely free.

Just download and install it, then drag your video into the program window. All you have to do then is choose the format you'd like, then the quality, and press convert!

It's pretty user friendly but if you get stuck just let me know.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

www.zamzar.com

This site can be used to convert files. Just pick one from the list that matches with one of the formats advised by youtube, fill in your email address, and you're good to go. It's not a program like the one in the post above mine, but it certainly works just as well unless you don't have internet access. It's pretty convenient because a lot of downloadable converters try and slip unnecessary programs like McCafee or download enhancers in with the one you're trying to get. That doesn't happen with zamzar.

Also, for future reference, right clicking the file and clicking "properties" will show you the file format. It's the ".xyz" part, but obviously won't say "xyz". It'll say ".wmd" or ".avi" or ".mp4" or something like that. It's basically a tag that indicates how the information inside is supposed to be processed.
edit on 31-12-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Dangit.

I'm just bumping b/c I don't use iphone. I could point you to this,
hope it helps?

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Right clicking does not do anything.

I'm on an iMac if that means anything.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Oh, right. I hate macs. Press the control key and click at the same time. Apple technology... *mutter mutter*

If you want an easier method, you can adjust your settings via the instructions found in this link:

www.wikihow.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Here is what you do, first take your Mac and throw it into the garbage. Next, go buy a PC with Windows 8. Once you get that set up and realize how buggy it is, throw that PC into the garbage. Next you'll want to go search the dump for your Mac, once you find it, install windows 95 on it and after 3 hours and 14 minutes of searching for incompatible drivers, remove Windows 95 and go back to using Mac OS.

Hope I helped.

PS I was going to reccomend this but you have Mac and there's no Mac version of that software.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

ValerieDivusen
You should be able to just run it through a standard media converter.

I like to use ConverterLite, which is completely free.

Just download and install it, then drag your video into the program window. All you have to do then is choose the format you'd like, then the quality, and press convert!

It's pretty user friendly but if you get stuck just let me know.

It isn't compatible on a Mac it says. I prefer not to download anything.

Thank you though.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

loveguy

Dangit.

I'm just bumping b/c I don't use iphone. I could point you to this,
hope it helps?

It's not an iPhone. I have an iMac desktop and use iPhoto for pics and videos. I took the video with my regular camera, not a phone.

Thanks

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

Oh, right. I hate macs. Press the control key and click at the same time. Apple technology... *mutter mutter*

You can right click on a Mac now it just doesn't do anything when I do it on the video.

I have that wireless magic mouse and you can turn on the "right click" feature on the mouse. Pretty neat

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

kx12x

Here is what you do, first take your Mac and throw it into the garbage. Next, go buy a PC with Windows 8. Once you get that set up and realize how buggy it is, throw that PC into the garbage. Next you'll want to go search the dump for your Mac, once you find it, install windows 95 on it and after 3 hours and 14 minutes of searching for incompatible drivers, remove Windows 95 and go back to using Mac OS.

There's always someone who makes the PC vs Mac comment

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Either way, use the zamzar site I posted. Www.Zamzar.com Basically, you go to the site and it gives you three fields. The first field is where you either paste a url to download and convert, or you upload a file of your own. The second field gives you a number of formats you can convert the file to, but only one at a time. The third field is the email you want the converted file sent to you.

After you open the email containing the download link for the converted file, you want to read carefully where it says "alternatively, click here to download your converted file blah blah blah". Click the link and click the download button. Voila, you have a file that should be ready for Youtube upload.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by kx12x

You have no idea how hard I laughed. Stick with Windows XP or Windows 7. They are both pretty decent.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I just tried that and it sent me an email stating it had a problem converting my file.

Ugh... could it be how my camera is set up for recording?

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

It's because you're using a Mac.

All jokes aside, what is the file extension on your video? What three or four letters follow the last period?

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Just find out what the file extention is that your trying to convert. For example, .avi.. Then google "avi to ???" converter.
Firepiston

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by FirePiston

I'm actually really interested to find out what extension zamzar had a problem with. I can't remember the last time zamzar failed me.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Look at how the file is saved.

it should be an mp4 and that can simply be uploaded to youtube.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

She can just "save as" and change the extension to mp4, right?

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
1. Drag the video to your desktop.
2. Open YouTube.
3. Click upload.
4. Navigate to file and click upload.

If YT doesn't like the file type:

1. Open iMovie
2. File - Import Movie
3. Once clip is imported, make a project out of it
4. Go to the share menu, click YouTube

It should automatically upload and convert the video once you log into google.

If it fails, you can export the video out of iMovie and then try to upload it through your browser again.

Hope that works for you.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join