It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think fast food companies should be banned from advertising their products.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Wanna move to Canada with me... now that I think about it.

I don't think you can go anywhere on earth and not be around a McDonalds and that stupid clown, gives me the creeps!

The Mars Trip... I am wondering how my Fast Food Chain Reps are going to be on on that flight. Kinda wish all of them

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Predictably people have jumped on the bandwagon of defending fast food companies rights to serve food which we know is incredibly unhealthy. I simply stated i wanted to ban their advertising of their food to make it easier for people like myself to avoid being tempted.

I wonder if you're the first people to complain about what chemicals actually go into the food you buy.

ATS member's just enjoy playing devils advocate i think lol

You do realize that you are admitting that you, the tempted one, basically have zero self-control, and want everyone else to do the work for you to keep the junk food out of your hands.

No lovely, what im admitting is that as a human being, i have to struggle against the everyday advertisement of # food which sometimes cause's me to give in and ingest that # into my body. Im not blaming you or any one else, i am saying it sure would make my life easier if i didnt have to see so many of these adverts - Can you not see that? Have you never succumbed to an advertisement for anything? Or are you robotic?

Learn. Self. Control. Willpower isn't as overrated as most people think, and just because you crumble for a food doesn't mean it's the maker's fault you can't say no.

Self control is not a consistent part of your average joe's life. To even insinuate that it is, is naive. Maybe you need to step back and look at the bigger picture - To learn self control you must at some point remove yourself from that which temps you - Impossible if it is constantly advertised to you, no?

Seriously. Own up.

I did, i walked right past Mcdonalds today, went home and made a proper meal. Im merely discussing their advertising. You're clearly defending it.
edit on 31-12-2013 by SearchLightsInc because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
It's a constant bombardment of advertising for everything you can think of and if you can't control your urges then why should someone else or some other company do it for you?

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   

opethPA
It's a constant bombardment of advertising for everything you can think of and if you can't control your urges then why should someone else or some other company do it for you?

If that's your view then you must be completely at ease with children being fed fast food and building a trust with those brands from an early age well into adulthood? Despite knowing the health problem's eating to much fast food can cause?

You're okay to let them keep advertising harmful products, yes?

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

SearchLightsInc
If that's your view then you must be completely at ease with children being fed fast food and building a trust with those brands from an early age well into adulthood? Despite knowing the health problem's eating to much fast food can cause?

if parents are buying fast food for their kids then they are making a bad choice.
People should be accountable for their own actions and choices.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

While I understand your frustration I don't think that cutting the advertisements will help. It is a Band-Aid solution that will make far worse social problems in the long run. The real issue that I see is that our society has not only moved away from promoting physical activity, it has moved right into prohibiting it. We just do not live active lives as we were intended to. This is causing problems. It isn't so much what we eat, but our access to exercise; and lets face it, with most people having to work two (usually relatively sedentary) jobs to make ends meet, who has the time, or the energy to put into that? After an 18 hour day of work, and kids, and whatever life has left over no wonder people do not have the physical, or emotional resources left to cook a good meal, let alone exercise.

Our society grinds people down into worker drones that have no value but their output. They are disposable. There is no well-rounded philosophy of wellness that is really allowed anymore for the majority. It's just not cost-effective to allow people the time and a living wage that will let them pursue a healthier life-style. Sure, even the government puts out plenty of lip-service about healthy eating, and even the necessity for exercise, but it is impossible for most people to achieve. So while there is a great deal of information out there, the majority cannot accomplish it.

It's only going to get worse. They are dropping many P.E. classes from school curriculums. Even worse, many parents can't even encourage their kids to go outside and run around (the way I did as a kid) for fear of being seen as a neglectful parent and having their kids taken from them.

We currently live in a society that spouts out a good line about health and fitness, but it is only attainable by the upper middle class or above, or possibly those in the lower economic strata that don't have kids.

We need to shift social values in their entirety before this can be remedied. Just taking down the adverts won't help a thing, and it will promote a social attitude that allows the elite to decide what is "good" for us. Not smart.

edit on 31-12-2013 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

opethPA

SearchLightsInc

if parents are buying fast food for their kids then they are making a bad choice.
People should be accountable for their own actions and choices.

A parent taking their 5 year old into mcdonalds for a treat is where it all begins. The advertisements is how they keep that 5 year old begging its parent to take them back for a second helping.

Are you okay with the advertising? Yes or no.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Here in the US, tobacco ads are banned on TV and radio, and have been for years. Fast food ads don't bother me, but I would like to see lawyers, doctors, and big pharm from advertising, much like it was in the past.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   

redhorse

While I understand your frustration I don't think that cutting the advertisements will help. It is a Band-Aid solution that will make far worse social problems in the long run. The real issue that I see is that our society has not only moved away from promoting physical activity, it has moved right into prohibiting it. We just do not live active lives as we were intended to. This is causing problems. It isn't so much what we eat, but our access to exercise; and lets face it, with most people having to work two (usually relatively sedentary) jobs to make ends meet, who has the time, or the energy to put into that? After an 18 hour day of work, and kids, and whatever life has left over no wonder people do not have the physical, or emotional resources left to cook a good meal, let alone exercise.

Our society grinds people down into worker drones that have no value but their output. They are disposable. There is no well-rounded philosophy of wellness that is really allowed anymore for the majority. It's just not cost-effective to allow people the time and a living wage that will let them to pursue a healthier life-style. Sure, even the government puts out plenty of lip-service about healthy eating, and even the necessity for exercise, but it is impossible for most people to achieve. So while there is a great deal of information out there, the majority cannot accomplish it.

It's only going to get worse. They are dropping many P.E. classes from school curriculums. Even worse, many parents can't even encourage their kids to go outside and run around (the way I did as a kid) for fear of being seen as a neglectful parent and having their kids taken from them.

We currently live in a society that spouts out a good line about health and fitness, but it is only attainable by the upper middle class or above, or possibly those in the lower economic strata that don't have kids.

We need to shift social values in their entirety before this can be remedied. Just taking down the adverts won't help a thing, and it will promote a social attitude that allows the elite to decide what is "good" for us. Not smart.

If the adverts didnt work in pulling in customers - they wouldn't spend millions advertising? While i agree with the points you raised in regards to lack of physical activity, diet is just as much the problem in the 21st century. I am accountable for my body indeed, but society is also accountable for type of goods we allow to be traded & advertised.

If i didnt have to see five or more mcdonalds advert's everyday, i wouldnt think about mcdonalds, its really that simple for me.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

BubbaJoe
Here in the US, tobacco ads are banned on TV and radio, and have been for years. Fast food ads don't bother me, but I would like to see lawyers, doctors, and big pharm from advertising, much like it was in the past.

I dont live in the US but i second your motion. We have adverts for compensation lawyers in the UK and it makes me sick. They to, should be banned.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

SearchLightsInc
A parent taking their 5 year old into mcdonalds for a treat is where it all begins. The advertisements is how they keep that 5 year old begging its parent to take them back for a second helping.

Yup 100% okay with advertising because in the end I make the choice if I want to purchase what that ad is selling or not.

When that parent buys the first piece of fast food they made that choice.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

opethPA

SearchLightsInc

Yup 100% okay with advertising because in the end I make the choice if I want to purchase what that ad is selling or not.

When that parent buys the first piece of fast food they made that choice.

Nice. Wonder if you grew up on fast food you'd be singing the same tune. That's the problem with a lot of people on ATS these days, there's no foresight. There's no capibility to explore any issue raised, people come on here like little experts with answer's to the worlds problems without even touching on a debate.

Pretty much every single reply to this thread has failed to discuss what advertising actually is, why its done and how successful it is to its target audience. Poster's on these boards are so lobotomised and wrapped up in their own opinion's all they really know is that they've got something to say and not debate.

YOU as an individual maybe able to shrug off any advertising - Good for you mate, more power to you. But you have failed to take into account what effect advertising has on OTHER people.

This site has become so low in my expectation's i fear for its survival :/

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

SearchLightsInc
The advertisements is how they keep that 5 year old begging its parent to take them back for a second helping.

As a parent, I make the choices period. If a child is begging you even after you as a parent said "No", you're doing something wrong. My child asks me to do something or go somewhere. I give them an answer and that's the end of that, be it either yes or no.

SearchLightsIncAre you okay with the advertising? Yes or no.

YES

If you allow your children to run rampant and not understand the concept of "No", it's not the fast food companies fault. I was a kid in the late 80's and early 90's. I remember asking on several occasions to go to Burger King (mostly so I could play on the playground, the food was only secondary as even back then it wasn't my favorite) and getting "No" as an answer. I may have said, "Awe shucks" but never begged. I think you're overplaying the power of these commercials and skipping around the actual problem of bad parenting.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

SearchLightsInc

Why because some people here actually think they should be accountable and responsible for their own choices vs the govt/empowered/rich/anyone else making a choice for them?

I make bad choices now, like eating fast food and when I do I deal with the consequences of that and I blame only 1 person for that choice. Me.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   

opethPA

SearchLightsInc

Why because some people here actually think they should be accountable and responsible for their own choices vs the govt/empowered/rich/anyone else making a choice for them?

No you've missed the point, i fear for this site's survival because 90% of poster's lack the mental capacity to explore an issue that is raised to them. You've not explored advertsing in this thread you've simply stated that because YOU can resist advertisements they are okay and should be allowed. You've taken no consideration as to what the rest of society may or may not need. I could even call it Arrogant Posting

I make bad choices now, like eating fast food and when I do I deal with the consequences of that and I blame only 1 person for that choice. Me.

Accountability is all fine and dandy, not disputing that - But what about everyone else?

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Auricom

SearchLightsInc
The advertisements is how they keep that 5 year old begging its parent to take them back for a second helping.

As a parent, I make the choices period. If a child is begging you even after you as a parent said "No", you're doing something wrong. My child asks me to do something or go somewhere. I give them an answer and that's the end of that, be it either yes or no.

SearchLightsIncAre you okay with the advertising? Yes or no.

YES

If you allow your children to run rampant and not understand the concept of "No", it's not the fast food companies fault. I was a kid in the late 80's and early 90's. I remember asking on several occasions to go to Burger King (mostly so I could play on the playground, the food was only secondary as even back then it wasn't my favorite) and getting "No" as an answer. I may have said, "Awe shucks" but never begged. I think you're overplaying the power of these commercials and skipping around the actual problem of bad parenting.

So what about the parents who dont parent the same way you do? What about the parents who are addicted to fast food and are bringing their children up on the same diets? What then? Are you still condoning advertisements of the food you know is incredibly unhealthy unhealthy for anyone to eat on a regular basis?

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Don't you know, no good deed goes unpunished in this world?
Someone once thought we should form labor unions in America too.
Great idea at the time, but no one realised that psychotic revenge
could be passed down between generations. But look what the hell
is going on in this country today.

Hell you don't even have to look to see it. My point is, you just
don't get in between psychos and their love of money. Cause they
can live comfortable and die comfortable. While they conjure up
hell and famine for you.
edit on 31-12-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

SearchLightsInc
You've not explored advertsing in this thread you've simply stated that because YOU can resist advertisements they are okay and should be allowed.

Do you expect every single angle to be explored in every single thread?

Many have been here a while and have discussed all kinds of things on different threads. There is nothing wrong with them just offereing their conclusions.

Accountability is all fine and dandy, not disputing that - But what about everyone else?

What about them?

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

SearchLightsInc

That goes back to my thinking everyone should be accountable for their own actions.
If you , the guy next to you, the girl down the block can't resist going into a fast food store, clothing store, phone, car dealer, music , insert some other similar location because of advertising then that is a choice they made.

Are you one of those people that also think that TV networks shouldn't show horror, violent or adult films because it's bad for people vs someone simply choosing to not put that channel on?

As for not exploring advertising... what is their to explore? Companies make products or offer services and consumers make choices if they want to purchase what those companies are selling.

edit on 2014pAmerica/Chicago3105ppm by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

daskakik
You've not explored advertsing in this thread you've simply stated that because YOU can resist advertisements they are okay and should be allowed.

Do you expect every single angle to be explored in every single thread?

I must be thick or something... Is that not what were suppose to do when discussing topics on ATS? Just because you've discussed this issue before doesn't mean you can lazy and short sighted in your replies gee'ze.

Many have been here a while and have discussed all kinds of things on different threads. There is nothing wrong with them just offereing their conclusions.

No excuses.

What about them?

^^ Exactly what the problem is with society that revolves around the individual.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join