It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think fast food companies should be banned from advertising their products.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Now im sure many of you will jump to the defence of fast food corps and say that they have a RIGHT to advertise their awful products and its down to the consumer to make an educated decision - I understand that POV and the logic used to arrive at that point, it's valid.

BUT

Im a busy person these days and working in the city centre and never really feeling like i have time to go home and cook a proper meal puts me in a certain type of target audience. I walk through the city centre to get to my work place and i am bombarded by advertisements telling me to eat # cheap non nutritional food from companies such as "McDonalds, KFC, Pizza hut" And even though i actively resist them, i get on the bus and on the back of my bus ticket is a coupon to get that # cheap non nutritional food at an even cheaper price! After ripping up my bus ticket i turn on the TV and again im bombarded with advertisements for fast food that looks nothing like it does on the TV!

We all know of the health concerns that fast food companies have contributed to society over the past 20-30 years. In my book, they are just as harmful as cigarettes and alcohol.

You may say im a whiny liberal that wants to live in a nanny state where the government tells me what i can and cant eat, that's not really true.

I want to live in a society where # food is not advertised on bill-boards, TV, bus tickets or leaflets. The only place they should be able to advertise is the shops they trade from.

(Hope this thread provides some lively debate because this board has got boring since i started working again)

P.S bring your banter to this thread.

COME AT ME ATS!!

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
It's let the buyer beware that is the basis of life in this country. Fast food is not that bad for you if you eat it occasionally, like once a week. Highly processed food we buy in the supermarket is also not that bad to eat occasionally. Just remember that highly processed food and McDs are one in the same. You can't eat out at a fast food restaurant a couple of times a week and then go home and eat processed foods the rest of the week. It is a slow degredation of health, not a fast one. It takes years of malnutrition to cause a depletion in the body most times and it takes a while to bring you out of the problem also, a pill will not help. The medicines they give us treat the problem, not get rid of the problems.

If we don't eat any glutamates we can not enjoy life or make memories properly. The problem with consuming too much of them continually is that the practice can lower the numbers of special receptors on the cells and lead to problems later on. So the feel good chemistry leads to feel bad chemistry after a while of eating these attractants long term. It screws up the cells ability to successfully make new cells also. This leads to cell death without a replacement.

Nothing to worry about, let the buyer beware. We will help support the medical and Pharmaceutical industries. Someone needs to buy that medical equipment. Just think of all the lost jobs that would disappear if everyone was healthy. So don't expect anyone to do anything about the advertisements, just avoid visiting the places and make your own food avoiding foods that have high free glutamate levels. Glutamine turns to glutamate in the body, always remember that these two change back and forth. Glutamines help us to heal also as long as they are not overconsumed, then they become inflammatory.

As You can see, I tend to get carried away. I should actually just say things like I agree or it will never happen instead of boring people.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Mark Harris

I disagree with that quote completely.

I run a small service business in a niche sector of the landscaping industry and from time to time I do advertise to spread the word of my service. This quote generalizes businesses as a whole and that is offensive to read. The author is totally biased and probably spilled the milk while writing his thoughts.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

SearchLightsInc
Now im sure many of you will jump to the defence of fast food corps and say that they have a RIGHT to advertise their awful products and its down to the consumer to make an educated decision - I understand that POV and the logic used to arrive at that point, it's valid.

BUT

Im a busy person these days and working in the city centre and never really feeling like i have time to go home and cook a proper meal puts me in a certain type of target audience. I walk through the city centre to get to my work place and i am bombarded by advertisements telling me to eat # cheap non nutritional food from companies such as "McDonalds, KFC, Pizza hut" And even though i actively resist them, i get on the bus and on the back of my bus ticket is a coupon to get that # cheap non nutritional food at an even cheaper price! After ripping up my bus ticket i turn on the TV and again im bombarded with advertisements for fast food that looks nothing like it does on the TV!

We all know of the health concerns that fast food companies have contributed to society over the past 20-30 years. In my book, they are just as harmful as cigarettes and alcohol.

You may say im a whiny liberal that wants to live in a nanny state where the government tells me what i can and cant eat, that's not really true.

I want to live in a society where # food is not advertised on bill-boards, TV, bus tickets or leaflets. The only place they should be able to advertise is the shops they trade from.

(Hope this thread provides some lively debate because this board has got boring since i started working again)

COME AT ME ATS!!

Good luck with that ban of fast food companies.

All the politicians have been bribed by the fast food companies and your suggestion is ludicrous.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Well they killed off Ronald Mc Donald right after Joe Camel was killed so it's happening. Lawyers are getting their way and your money

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I'd be happy if they banned ALL advertising!

(Yes, I know, we need advertising in order to watch TV 'free', PSAs, etc. But it would be SWEET!)

Edit: Oh, the Superbowl wouldn't be nearly as much fun w/o the ads!
edit on 12/31/2013 by TommyD1966 because: Added Superbowl note

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Your* laziness is not the fast food companies fault. I dare say it's the reason they exist. You CAN make a home cooked meal in very little time and effort. I don't care much for fast food myself, but will admit I do buy it from time to time when I'm out and about and there's nothing else available. It's a choice we make, not them.

I typically can put together pasta carbonara within fifteen minutes. That's just one food that you can make in a heartbeat. You can make your own home made hamburgers in a jiffy too. Club sandwiches, BLT's and other bread food is also fast.

I do have a problem with advertising, just not fast food advertising. However fashion advertising should be banned. A stick figure is not a woman, and it's directly harmful.

*Not you specifically, but rather everyone.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Or...

People could be accountable for their own actions..
Break the law, do the time.
Eat fast food, pay the consequences.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

opethPA
Or...

People could be accountable for their own actions..
Break the law, do the time.
Eat fast food, pay the consequences.

This. You are not a robot, you make the final decision on what goes down your gullet, not the advertising companies. If you have half a brain, you can resist a lure easily enough. I do it all the time, I live a block from a Burger King & go in but once every 2 or 3 months. I love me a crappy Whopper Jr, but I know better than to eat it all the time. I ignore just about all advertising as it is, if I don't need it, I don't need to buy it. That said, a cheap burger, like any junk food, tastes good once in a while & we do partake. All things in moderation, OP.

We need to start upholding the usage of willpower. Too many people forgo it in favor of excuses & blaming.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
We all have a choice to eat fast food or not. Period. The choice is yours. If your weak then that is your problem.

You want them to decide what is good for you? Do you even understand what that would imply?

We already know what is good for us, you just need to choose to do it.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
eh if people want to mess their health up and deal with the medical expenses then that's their problem, besides fast food isn't the problem too much food in general is the problem with the average american diet. too much of anything is bad for you after all.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

TommyD1966
I'd be happy if they banned ALL advertising!

(Yes, I know, we need advertising in order to watch TV 'free', PSAs, etc. But it would be SWEET!)

Edit: Oh, the Superbowl wouldn't be nearly as much fun w/o the ads!
edit on 12/31/2013 by TommyD1966 because: Added Superbowl note

Keep the ads on tv, because we all need a washroom/snack/phone break once in a while.

BAN ALL ADVERTISING ON YOUTUBE VIDEOS!!!!

edit on 31-12-2013 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

championoftruth

SearchLightsInc

BUT

COME AT ME ATS!!

Good luck with that ban of fast food companies.

All the politicians have been bribed by the fast food companies and your suggestion is ludicrous.

Not the companies, just their advertisements.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Predictably people have jumped on the bandwagon of defending fast food companies rights to serve food which we know is incredibly unhealthy. I simply stated i wanted to ban their advertising of their food to make it easier for people like myself to avoid being tempted.

I wonder if you're the first people to complain about what chemicals actually go into the food you buy.

ATS member's just enjoy playing devils advocate i think lol

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

SearchLightsInc
that they have a RIGHT to advertise their awful products and its down to the consumer to make an educated decision - ....
I want to live in a society where # food is not advertised on bill-boards, TV, bus tickets or leaflets.

So you also think cigarettes and alcohol advertising should be banned, fakers like psychics, homeopathy, reki practioners etc should be banned from advertising, violent movies, or movies with sex in them should be banned as well!

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Auricom

Exactly,.. no matter how many adverts there are for fast food, it is down to each and every one of us to decide whether we eat it or not. I could personally watch these ads all day and at the end of it, I would still have no desire to actually go out and buy it.

I mean, I'll still grab some fast food every now and again but I won't eat it every day of the week.
It's so simple to prepare a quick lunch or dinner for very little money and it will always taste a LOT better than any fast food. (note: this does not usually apply at 3.30am Sunday after a Saturday night on the town)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

hellobruce

SearchLightsInc
that they have a RIGHT to advertise their awful products and its down to the consumer to make an educated decision - ....
I want to live in a society where # food is not advertised on bill-boards, TV, bus tickets or leaflets.

So you also think cigarettes and alcohol advertising should be banned, fakers like psychics, homeopathy, reki practioners etc should be banned from advertising, violent movies, or movies with sex in them should be banned as well!

Cigarettes and alcohol are also harmful, tehy should have limits set on their advertising. Psychics, homeopathy and reki practitioners are not contributing to any epidemic such as obesity, or are they? You seem to think so?

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   

SearchLightsInc
Predictably people have jumped on the bandwagon of defending fast food companies rights to serve food which we know is incredibly unhealthy. I simply stated i wanted to ban their advertising of their food to make it easier for people like myself to avoid being tempted.

I wonder if you're the first people to complain about what chemicals actually go into the food you buy.

ATS member's just enjoy playing devils advocate i think lol

You do realize that you are admitting that you, the tempted one, basically have zero self-control, and want everyone else to do the work for you to keep the junk food out of your hands.

Learn. Self. Control. Willpower isn't as overrated as most people think, and just because you crumble for a food doesn't mean it's the maker's fault you can't say no.

Seriously. Own up.
edit on 12/31/2013 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I don't care one way or the other but banning ads isn't going to curb peoples appetites.

I've seen enough unhealthy home cooked meals to know that fast food is not the only thing to blame.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join