Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

One-Way Mars Trip: 1,058 Private Martian Colony Volunteers Pass 1st Cut

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
"One way trips to Mars..Take one....Action.." The colonization of Mars will be a televised event with cameras rolling as colonists travel to the Red planet in pairs of 2's starting around 2023. This feels almost surreal as if it's a joke but Mars One seems to be pushing ahead with this plan.

"Mars One announced Monday (Dec. 30) that it has picked 1,058 aspiring spaceflyers to move on to the next round in its search for the first humans to live and die on the Red Planet."

I'd like to go but I don't wanna spend the rest of my life there. Just imagine exploring the many caves there, and trudging through the terrain. If you go to Malin Space Science Systems, you can look at the raw images from Mars which are plentiful and varied: www.msss.com...

Here's the link to the article.
www.space.com...

Would you go, ATS?

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

People should read the fine print when they sign up for things.
Now these people will probably still go because they want to protect their past perception. They won the bid
They will want to collect their winnings and spend their life stuck on mars.

Notice that they didn't even bother to ask an astronaut that has spent time in space couped up in the space station.
edit on 31-12-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
So lets create a welfare state on Mars.
They will forever be dependant on us for new hardware and special food stuffs.

Have the prospectives thought about what happens when people down here decide it's they don't want to spend their money on a resupply mission?

We have short attention spans. We will get bored quickly.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Don't get me wrong, I really want this to be a successful endeavor but it just seems surreal. Let's hope they succeed.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

rickymouse

People should read the fine print when they sign up for things.
Now these people will probably still go because they want to protect their past perception. They won the bid
They will want to collect their winnings and spend their life stuck on mars.

Notice that they didn't even bother to ask an astronaut that has spent time in space couped up in the space station.
edit on 31-12-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

Ricky,

You're missing the point mate. If this really happens they will be making history, for better or worse. Like the brave men who sailed from portugal, spain, england and others to discover new lands hearing tales that their ships would reach the edge of the world and fall into nothingness, of monsters and devils but still they went.

What would be the point in talking to an astronaut that spends his life on a space station studying when their mission is to colonize a planet...?

Those missions will need minimum "academic" personnel (like astronauts) - like our early ships that discovered the americas needed one captain and one first mate. The rest is hand-on personnel. People that can actually "do" the stuff. Not just people that can "study" the stuff, or "navigate" or "observe" or put out amazing theories about something.

I think these people deserve huge amount of credit if this mission does go forward which I hope it does. 500 years ago we were sailing to discover new lands in our own planet... today, 500 years later, we're "sailing" again, in "ships" but this time to another planet.

This is awesome. Its truly magnificent.
edit on 31-12-2013 by FraternitasSaturni because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Will Davina McCall or Dermot O'Leary be hosting this 'Martian Big Brother'?

Maybe Ant n Dec would be better hosts...;-)

Does seem a little surreal however I do salute those 'brave'? Enough who want to go on this one way ticket..... Pioneers of the 21st centuary...

Regards

PDUK

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

samkent
So lets create a welfare state on Mars.
They will forever be dependant on us for new hardware and special food stuffs.

Have the prospectives thought about what happens when people down here decide it's they don't want to spend their money on a resupply mission?

We have short attention spans. We will get bored quickly.

Good point. However, this WILL happen. If this fails there will be major setbacks for Space exploration. Besides, the corporate sponsors won't let it fail. McDonalds can't wait to put Golden Arches on Mars.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

If I was stuck in a confined space with the same five people for six months, there better be some pretty good drugs available. After a while you would get on the other persons nerves and they would get on yours.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

or the the female better be hot!!

be even if she's grossingly overweight, after 6 months in space?.....(shugging shoulders) why not.LOL

Mars is just as bad or good as earth IMO:

Glass half empty, or glass half full. better take the optimists IMO
edit on 31-12-2013 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Hey! Maybe soon Arken will be vindicated:

Colonist #1: (camera in hand), Holy *BLEEP*! Look! Look at this! It's a fossilized spine of some creature!
Colonist #2: OMG! OMG! OMG!

or......

Colonist #1: (camera in hand), Rock. Another rock.....more rocks.....more ROCKS! I''m getting ticked off at all these ROCKS!
Colonist #2: Hey look! It's a boat anchor! Let's....oh wait.....another rock....
Colonist #1: AAAAAARRRRRHHHHHHGGGGG!

edit on 31-12-2013 by eriktheawful because: because anchors do not have spines....

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

eriktheawful
Hey! Maybe soon Arken will be vindicated:

Colonist #1: (camera in hand), Holy *BLEEP*! Look! Look at this! It's a fossilized spine of some creature!
Colonist #2: OMG! OMG! OMG!

or......

Colonist #1: (camera in hand), Rock. Another rock.....more rocks.....more ROCKS! I''m getting ticked off at all these ROCKS!
Colonist #2: Hey look! It's a boat anchor! Let's....oh wait.....another rock....
Colonist #1: AAAAAARRRRRHHHHHHGGGGG!

I'd love to find some of Arken's discoveries. That would be cool.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Where will the water, food and breathable air come from? What they brought with them won't last long and they will parish if they get there alive. There is nothing there but rocks and very fine electrified dust on Mars.

Very dumb idea and probably will not get past the phase of getting on a rocket for launch. If people are paying for this, its a scam.
edit on 31-12-2013 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

" I'd like to go but I don't wanna spend the rest of my life there. "

A Death Sentence . People would go Insane once off their Native Planet for any extended period of time .

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

eManym
Where will the water, food and breathable air come from? What they brought with them won't last long and they will parish if they get there alive. There is nothing there but rocks and very fine electrified dust on Mars.

Very dumb idea and probably will not get past the phase of getting on a rocket for launch. If people are paying for this, its a scam.
edit on 31-12-2013 by eManym because: (no reason given)

You should go to the Mars One website and read up how things will be done. I can tell you that you're flat out wrong. There will be life support, there will be a greenhouse to grow food, they will have everything they need. On top of that, Mars has what it takes to survive: water.
edit on 31-12-2013 by lostbook because: Type error

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

"Mars One announced Monday (Dec. 30) that it has picked 1,058 aspiring spaceflyers to move on to the next round in its search for the first humans to live and die on the Red Planet."

Have a feeling how this is going to turn out if it gets off the ground. Reality TV to the bitter end.

That said, I'd go in a heartbeat. They just need to drop a string off wifi routers along the way so we can stay logged on to ATS.

Or maybe "Above Top Secret MARS!" mars.abovetopsecret.com...

Probable only have two forums to start with, Survival and Gossip.

Edit Hmm, my link's broken.....
edit on 873pm3939pm12014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I'd go. I'm not really afraid of dying. If anything, I'm afraid of being forgotten about. Just imagine in the future all the schools, roads, and historic places that'll be named after these first colonists?

I didn't attend my 10 year high school reunion. Reason?

"I didn't like any of you back then, and I'm pretty sure I won't now".

That's pretty much how I feel about the vast majority of the human race.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Where on earth do I sign up for this?!

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Zanti Misfit

" I'd like to go but I don't wanna spend the rest of my life there. "

A Death Sentence . People would go Insane once off their Native Planet for any extended period of time .

Your statements put you on the wrong side of history. After a lull in Space exploration, we should all be behind this valiant effort.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   

NeonHawk007

Where on earth do I sign up for this?!

People signed up back in August during a 30day window for applicants. I don't know when the next 30day window will open. Check their website: www.mars-one.com/

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
If I didn't have a wife and a young child, I'd go. Why not?

It would be nice to get away from everything and everyone for the rest of my life.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join