It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSA has complete control of your iPhone, can activate your microphone and camera without you knowing

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
wow guys, the rest of you must be living very exciting lives.. if a 3 letter agency tapped into my phone they would definitely be bored beyond words..

what is with the vast majority of us western people? we live an entirely predictable existence, we exist in order to consume continuously worried about the further development of our glorified careers until we die from self poisoning really from too much consumption all scripted from start to end and yet every now and then we all enjoy to fantasize the entire security apparatus of our states actually has some interest in spying in our boring realities. Yeah because deep down we are really subversive and dangerous... right because im just pretending im working infront of a pc all day, in truth i am all for world revolution...

for real, why bother ? the vast majority of people i know including myself we leak so many thoughts and details of our every day in social media and the like.. just simply, why bother like ?

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Johnathanandheather
reply to post by TwoTonTommy

I remember a day where I got excited about rumors of an open source phone coming to market. Will it ever happen? We could protect our own phones and get suspect files n coding off. Paying upwards of 500 for iPhones and 800 for large iPhones (iPads) we should demand open source.

Do you think having the source code affords you complete (or any...) protection from the NSA? I'm asking in a serious way. Does that make you feel safe? Would having an open source or jail broken phone make you let your guard down on what you do on that phone?

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   

laytheovers
wow guys, the rest of you must be living very exciting lives.. if a 3 letter agency tapped into my phone they would definitely be bored beyond words..

what is with the vast majority of us western people? we live an entirely predictable existence, we exist in order to consume continuously worried about the further development of our glorified careers until we die from self poisoning really from too much consumption all scripted from start to end and yet every now and then we all enjoy to fantasize the entire security apparatus of our states actually has some interest in spying in our boring realities. Yeah because deep down we are really subversive and dangerous... right because im just pretending im working infront of a pc all day, in truth i am all for world revolution...

for real, why bother ? the vast majority of people i know including myself we leak so many thoughts and details of our every day in social media and the like.. just simply, why bother like ?

My concern is with the growing police state, the prison system, and Obamacare.

"If you're not doing anything wrong, then there's no reason to worry," is an extremely naive take, in my opinion. Our country keeps inventing more and more things for the average person to do wrong.

Our incarceration rate in this country is out of control. Private, for profit prisons with quota guarantees are a big part of this problem.

Throw in the nature of Obamacare, with it's built in fines and penalties. What's left of the middle class is going to be squeezed to the point that many will suffer bankruptcy. Only they won't be able to go bankrupt, thanks to the I.R.S. enforcement of Obamacare fines and unpaid medical bills.

So the course for many will be abject poverty, liens against and loss of assets, ultimately resulting in...what exactly?

Homelessness? Debtor's prison eventually? A Federal prisoner working behind razor wire, earning pennies a day to support our corporate masters.

Crazy? Legal or not, people are already being jailed because of bills that they can't pay. Given the trajectory of our spiral, I don't think the above scenario is much of a stretch. Maybe they'll just seize all of our assets and then let us walk the streets we used to own.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by laytheovers

There is a lot you don't realize then. Take for example the small company that is out there trying to create a business they and there family can make a living at and maybe think of retiring from the profit one day. The large corporations that are tied into our government doing spying also use it on competitors in order to increase there profit.

Here is a example of that.
www.nj.com...

And it is even more wide spread then that. It goes into every type of business out there. You have these large corporations that are subsidized by our government and involved with hacking, spying and so on who have free reign to do what ever they want with there knowledge including taking out the little guys. Large corporations with there personal army of attorneys at there disposal to squash the little guy who speaks out. Some times they do it to protect there inflated prices. Sometimes it is so they have a complete monopoly and can control the future of a industry. Some times it is ideology.

Not sure what this falls under Ideology or monopoly to control a industry. The industry of spying on you.

www.ibtimes.com...

When you look through the players you will see sides. Just like your two party system of Coke or Pepsi. Democrat or Republican. Right or left. But is it a free market? They say well you have choice. Well why am I limited to two? Is this really a free market system of competitiveness? No because the rules were changed for those global corporations and it squashes the little guy. ever think about those guys who wished they could open up a little retail store but said it would cost to much? Well it odes unless you are subsidized by our government with tax waivers, free property, wavier of expenses tied to street improvements for added traffic, They may charge you for red lights to be added because of traffic. The list goes on with what they hit you with as the little guy. The big corporations get waivers on these things because they are going to bring jobs to the area. The little guy was not going to add jobs doing the same thing?

But I guess you can see where unfair practices come out of all this and multiplies quickly. So I will try not to rant.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Once again. If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   

The NSA should be dismantled....or destroyed....as much as I feel the governemnt new about it...lets say for a second they didnt...lets say the nsa was a rogue loose canon....the government should make corrective action immidiately...if they dont...they are just as guilty...#s coming man haha # is coming.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MadMax9

But you have more to hide than you realize. I guess you don't know what you have until it is gone they say. Take for example this website.

www.spokeo.com...

What they start showing is scary. How much your house is worth. Where you work. Your relatives. Not to mention phone numbers addresses.

This one will also show your email address, websites and so on.

radaris.com...

So anything from robbing you while your at work to hacking your emails or web sites. Would if you run a internet business from your house? Now the scary part would if they are targeting your loved ones, your children, your wife?

edit on 1-1-2014 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   

and the correct solar-flare can fry every electronic device on the planet and satellite orbiting it.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Since I don't own an Iphone, or an I-anything, I'm feeling kinda left out...

I'm so early 20th century...

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
At least this ability is in the hands of good men and women who only have our best interest at heart. They just want to keep us safe. I'm sure they would never used it to snoop, look at us naked, or eavesdrop. Right?

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

seagull
Since I don't own an Iphone, or an I-anything, I'm feeling kinda left out...

I'm so early 20th century...

Don't worry, they have access to your device too. Even if you have an old flip phone they can still remotely access your contacts if you have 2g, 3g, or edge access. If you're using Windows or IOS your computer is wide open, with Linux you're a bit safer but they still have hardware based backdoors into your stuff, which is where encryption comes in.

You have two routes to go with protection:
First - You can encrypt everything, this guarntees your data will be protected for X time but you're one mathematical breakthrough or quantum computer away from your encryption being broken. As a rough estimate this gives you 10-15 years of data security. All encrypted information is stored by default, so eventually it will be gone over.

Second - Leave everything unecrypted and don't do anything that flags your data. This involves figuring out the patterns they're looking for and avoiding them. It's the equivalent of hiding in plain sight. Here your data is only stored for two years unless you cause something to be flagged, then it's stored forever. The downside here is that you're still one quantum computer away from your data being scanned regardless. However it relies on the telcom companies having the computer rather than the government (bandwidth limitations prevent them from sending the data itself) so you're probably good for 20-25 years with this route with only your past 2 years worth of data being scanned. Higher risk depending on what you're trying to protect but higher reward.
edit on 2-1-2014 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Aazadan
First - You can encrypt everything, this guarntees your data will be protected for X time but you're one mathematical breakthrough or quantum computer away from your encryption being broken.
Except it's not a mathematical breakthrough exactly...the NSA was involved in development of encryption standards and got the standards committee to include inconspicuously flawed algorithms which the NSA knew how to hack. It wouldn't be surprising if the NSA already had access to AES encrypted communications with secure websites on the internet.

I thought it was already known they could turn your microphone and camera on anytime they wanted,so while this is in breaking news, it seems like old news to me. I am pretty sure I read it before on ATS.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Arbitrageur

Aazadan
First - You can encrypt everything, this guarntees your data will be protected for X time but you're one mathematical breakthrough or quantum computer away from your encryption being broken.
Except it's not a mathematical breakthrough exactly...the NSA was involved in development of encryption standards and got the standards committee to include inconspicuously flawed algorithms which the NSA knew how to hack. It wouldn't be surprising if the NSA already had access to AES encrypted communications with secure websites on the internet.

I thought it was already known they could turn your microphone and camera on anytime they wanted,so while this is in breaking news, it seems like old news to me. I am pretty sure I read it before on ATS.

I think the whole "push / pull data" part is pretty significant. If they wanted to plant some incriminating pictures on you, they can do it. Or pull your photos. The potential for blackmail is pretty huge.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
The 'leaked document' is dated 2007, I am pretty sure there are major advances since then.

Apple has also recently berated the US gov for this. I think there is a thread on it somewhere.

I am slightly amused that the hackers that are quoted as:

The documents describe the hackers here as "digital plumbers" capable of "getting the ungettable".

basically got their covert hacking known because:

Most San Antonians weren't even aware the NSA had a presence here until 2010, when Westside homeowners started having troubles with their garage door openers.

My garage door stopped opening, homeowner Manuel Zurita told us at the time.

It turned out to be an antenna at the NSA facility was operating on the same frequency.

Read More at: www.news4sanantonio.com...

edit on 2-1-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Arbitrageur

The encryption standards aren't broken. Those are open information to the world and it's not just US mathematicians going over them to see if they're flawed, what's happening is that the companies are publishing the good versions of these algorithms they use and then secretly using flawed ones with master decryption keys for the NSA to get at your data. The NSA cannot determine your encryption key without something like a keylogger. That's why if you're using encryption you should be using open source software as it's far less likely they have a backdoor in it.

When I refer to a breakthrough I'm referring to something like the p vs np problem which is doable in theory, except we don't yet know how. If they can solve that, or simply design a quantum computer to brute force it, they'll get your encrypted information. One of these two things, and possibly both are virtually guaranteed to happen within the next 10-15 years. Meaning, if you plan to run for political office in the future, DO NOT send something that can later be used against you as encrypted information. It will come back to haunt you.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Aazadan

Are you saying the New York Times article that prompted the NIST to formally reexamine its cryptography standards development process has been proven false? And if so why is NIST still proceeding?

NIST to Formally Reexamine Cryptography Standards Development Process

The National Institute of Standards and Technology (“NIST”) recently announced that it has begun formal review of its standards development process for approving cryptographic algorithms. The notice appears to be a reaction to recent reports in the New York Times regarding the National Security Agency’s (“NSA”) back door access to encrypted data through an NIST-approved cryptographic algorithm. The article suggests that the NSA inserted back door access into the algorithm, one that many companies use to encrypt data sent over the Web.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   
The encryption is not broken. Which is true. The encryption is difficult to crack. Which is true.

But the software that is used to do it is. The software uses a input for the password from the user. It then takes that password and encrypts. It then takes that encrypted password and sticks it in one of three places in your file that has been encrypted. The very beginning, the very middle or the very end of your file.

Salted__Þ sïó^9ÚúHS[m³4b /
Ž ÿŠ5àÅJ«fní Ƚ
I$ Eäóx¤TÓŠa

The very beginning of the wikileaks file. Oh but the file was so big it would take for ever to crack it. Really what I posted above is all they have to crack. It contains the password to open the rest of it. And they own the patent office to know every thing about the software that encrypted it. They know exactly what encryption was used on that password before it was stuck in your encrypted file. See your software needs a process to check if you put the correct password in to open the file. So the password is sitting in the file to compare to. With a patented process which was given to the government before the software was ever released to the public to use. I can't tell you how to crack that password above. I just know how they work. I don't have the patent for the software to know how to crack it. But our government does.And that decryption process will match on every encryption that software .0012 does on the password. No matter what the password is. .0013 version will have changed the encryption process slightly because it is a new version. But they will have that patent also.
But who ever broke the first version will have to start again.
edit on 2-1-2014 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Figures this would happen when I move in with a girl who has both an iPhone and an iPad. Bah! Time to go and smash everything "i" related!

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Luckey I have a Samsung. .ugh .. okay everybody with an IPhone put your hands up in the air for....... uhhm NSA!
edit on 0b42America/ChicagoFri, 03 Jan 2014 05:23:42 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoFri, 03 Jan 2014 05:23:42 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 05:24 AM
link   

what a surprise.....apple and microsoft selling us out....and yet all the idiots will see this and not care..

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join