It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stopping alcoholism... feel concerned?... Please watch...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I have been having a gander around YouTube and came across this marvellous video...

If you have the patience to watch a 10 : 07 video and REALLY wish to stop drinking alcohol, this guy has my hat taken off to him for his perseverance and courage.

A touching, sad... but encouraging and inspiring story :

Trolls and bible bashers... with all due respect, keep your mouths shut and your fingers off the keyboard please...

Being an alcoholic is a serious sickness... A close family member of mine is dying of alcohol related cancer right now and for the first time in my life I am the supporter of the family...

If some of you out there wish to share your alcohol related stories... please feel free to contribute to this thread.

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 31-12-2013 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

He speaks the truth from my own experiences. God bless him.

I quit drinking for a few years and have went back to a few drinks a week and i do notice a big difference.

I have lost almost all my friends because of my recovery. it sucks but my willingness to succeed increased 10 fold.

I am a alcoholic, and its not a good thing. not a black out drunk, IMO i don't know how anyone can do that.

I go to meetings and a graduate from a very reputable treatment center of more than two years of residence.

I went through sexual and physical abuse that my parents didn't know about until my late 20's, I was ashamed of who I was even though it wasn't my fault. I empathize will anyone who had to go through any kind of PDS of any sort.

Please from the bottom of my heart, no stupid comments to this OP. I respect anyone fighting for their lives for a better tomorrow!!

We can achieve anything in life if we have people in our lives giving care, love and hope!

S&F, thanks for sharing the video!

edit on 31-12-2013 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I've been trying to stop drinking. It just doesn't seem to work. I will tag your post for viewing this video when I can.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   

GraveRobert
I've been trying to stop drinking. It just doesn't seem to work. I will tag your post for viewing this video when I can.

You know Grave, there is no better time to watch his video than now... but understandable and respected if you cannot at this moment in time... we all have real life issues that need to be dealt with first.

I really want to dedicate this thread to my father in-law... but above all, to those of you out there that have alcohol related health and/or family issues and REALLY want to get rid of this sickening disease.

Lets fight it together.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

My Grandfather was a A-hole drinker, had a affect on my entire family. That is why my father never became one.

it hurts when my dad tells me I remind him of his father every once in a while, mostly because it deep down hurts him to see me act like his dad did when he was young. I don't have any kids and do not plan on it till I get my ass in gear.

Plain and simple. It is a drug no matter how you justify it.

some can...... some can not!

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

If i could offer you a million stars for your honest output I would Ice.

I relate to you in more ways than you could imagine, but for the moment i am going to offer this thread to others such as yourself who have so much to offer to those who may be suffering out there.

Thank you for your post.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

I have always enjoyed your threads, honesty is the first thing you learn to cope with in treatment.

I hate and battled with it because it makes me vunerable, which the booze helped with my confidence as with any inhibiter will do. I consistently return back to my TC to help other clients understand that we fight this Everyday unlike others that don't have our problems, it also helps me continue fighting mine.

Everyday I struggle not to destroy myself, and threads like these only help my limited understanding to know I'm not alone.

Thank you so much! Really, it means a lot to me.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

I give people a lot of credit who have the conviction to quit an addiction. Whether it's alcohol, drugs, or smoking, it takes an individual a lot of soul searching to care about themselves and the people they love and do something about it.

I have a sister who is married to an alcoholic. She calls almost once a week crying because his drinking consumes him. They no longer speak and she's in a difficult financial position to end the marriage because he would be entitled to her retirement and she would be expected to pay alimony. She's paying all the bills and the mortgage. Her 2 children, one who is attending college and another who has already graduated from college keep pleading with her to divorce him. He doesn't want a divorce.

This guy never lifted his finger to help out around the house. My sister tries to do small repairs around the house, while he offers no help what so ever. If I were her, I would have left him years ago. She was in denial when she married him, and it has turned out to be a living hell for her.

I hope this video opens the eyes of people whose lives are controlled by addiction.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   

AK907ICECOLD
reply to post by Rodinus

I have always enjoyed your threads, honesty is the first thing you learn to cope with in treatment.

I hate and battled with it because it makes me vunerable, which the booze helped with my confidence as with any inhibiter will do. I consistently return back to my TC to help other clients understand that we fight this Everyday unlike others that don't have our problems, it also helps me continue fighting mine.

Everyday I struggle not to destroy myself, and threads like these only help my limited understanding to know I'm not alone.

Thank you so much! Really, it means a lot to me.

My pleasure.

You know Ice that you are not alone in your battle.

You will be surprised at the amount of people that have alcohol related problems due to other hidden problems that they have not been able to cope with.

I found a couple of tests online which are quite interesting and can be helpful guidelines to many people :

www.mayoclinic.com...

accg.net...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 31-12-2013 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Rodinus, sorry to hear of your family member having this problem. Many people have a relative or someone they know that is addicted to alcohol. When they changed it from being an addiction to an illness all they did was try and coverup the problem. My uncle had this problem and died of it. Sadly, far to many get caught in the clutches of alcohol.

The problem isn't the alcohol it's mans inability to limit himself/herself. Then there are those that use it to escape the problems of life only to find that it creates more problems. I guess that I'm rather fortunate in the fact that even though I like the taste of beer, some of the spirits and liqueurs, I can not stand the effects of alcohol. So I do not over indulge or even have it very often. When I do manage to have some it is in small quantities.

For the majority of the people this is not the case, they enjoy the effects unless they have too much and it makes them ill. This doesn't seem to stop them from doing so again which leads right to mans inability to limit himself/herself. I do not have an answer to the problem as prohibition has already been tried and all it did was cause more of a problem. I guess as the scripture says, all things in moderation.

Add a little more

This does not mean that I look down on anyone that has this addiction, I used to smoke cigarettes but quit and never walked back. It was hard for three years even though I was over the physical addiction the mental was another story.

No matter if it's alcohol or cigarettes, both will kill you just the same. My hats off to anyone that has managed to get past the bottle or any addiction. You can win but it's a day by day thing and we all should do all we can to help those that desire help.
edit on 12/31/2013 by pstrron because: add a little

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

My Best friend is going to lose his baby soon if he doesn't stop.. I plead with him, try to take him out and off his couch.

He used to be so active. His girlfriend started using heroin and he's a drunk. Just the other day in two hours I watched him drink a 5th, his GF drugged out and I'm trying to be the good guy and while she's coming down and flipping out and destroying the house and he's too drunk to change his diaper..... me being the guy I am... holding my composer( spelling i know) trying not to cry I am taking care of his kid as he's yelling at his infant to "shut the F up" I know I shouldn't be here, but I can't.. I need to be there..

He's a friend I have not given up on, the only one. I am on the verge of staying away from them so I can survive. But .... well i'm just going to justify why I can't, and I know its not a good enough answer..

Its a dose of reality of what drugs and alcohol can really do to someone....sad.

I want to move out of state and find new friends, and not have the ability to go over to a mess like his because i have a drink when i'm over there so I can cope.. Messed up huh?

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Rod as you know
Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt.

But thanks to my stay with you in France I am now in control of my drinking as opposed to the other way around.

Sure I occasionally fall off the wagon especially at this time of year, but at least I know how to climb back on again.

Heartfelt thanks my friend

Cody

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   

pstrron
reply to post by Rodinus

Rodinus, sorry to hear of your family member having this problem. Many people have a relative or someone they know that is addicted to alcohol. When they changed it from being an addiction to an illness all they did was try and coverup the problem. My uncle had this problem and died of it. Sadly, far to many get caught in the clutches of alcohol.

The problem isn't the alcohol it's mans inability to limit himself/herself. Then there are those that use it to escape the problems of life only to find that it creates more problems. I guess that I'm rather fortunate in the fact that even though I like the taste of beer, some of the spirits and liqueurs, I can not stand the effects of alcohol. So I do not over indulge or even have it very often. When I do manage to have some it is in small quantities.

For the majority of the people this is not the case, they enjoy the effects unless they have too much and it makes them ill. This doesn't seem to stop them from doing so again which leads right to mans inability to limit himself/herself. I do not have an answer to the problem as prohibition has already been tried and all it did was cause more of a problem. I guess as the scripture says, all things in moderation.

Thanks Ps.

Sadly my family members case is quite a current one over here in France concerning the career that he had...

The person in question owned a vineyard and after over 50 years as a "vigneron"... tasting, elaborating and generally living in the "wine" culture so to speak and also drinking nearly 3 bottles of wine per day (tasting)... he is finally succumbing to his past lifestyle and job. (Not to mention all the crap that Monsanto sold to him with their blatant lies back in the 70s and 80s!...)... But that is for another thread!

Sadly in the majority of cases, in his generation a man did / will not let anything out about his inner feelings and when having a drink this was looked upon as being "manly"... however he didn't get totally drunk... (He thought he knew his limits,) but 2 to 3 bottles a day over a 50 year period gives the liver plenty to deal with!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Alcool is a silent killer, killed both my granpas, sent my grany to a mental hospital for a year. Is killing my mother as i write this, i abused it for many years. I havent had a drink in over 2 years, and im hoping that i will never have a sip.

Its a daily struggle

Sorry for my bad wording, english is my second language

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Sure I occasionally fall off the wagon especially at this time of year, but at least I know how to climb back on again.

Cody

You know where the ladder is when you need a helping hand to get back on that wagon my friend?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   

dukeofjive696969
Alcool is a silent killer, killed both my granpas, sent my grany to a mental hospital for a year. Is killing my mother as i write this, i abused it for many years. I havent had a drink in over 2 years, and im hoping that i will never have a sip.

Its a daily struggle

Sorry for my bad wording, english is my second language

Thanks for your sharing Duke.

Could you tell us how you fought/fight alcohol is it's not too much to ask?

Keep fighting... you will come out as the winner...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   

No matter if it's alcohol or cigarettes, both will kill you just the same. My hats off to anyone that has managed to get past the bottle or any addiction. You can win but it's a day by day thing and we all should do all we can to help those that desire help.
edit on 12/31/2013 by pstrron because: add a little

Which reminds me... after many years trying to give up the dreaded cigarette, i have finally plucked up the courage to go and consult a tabacologist (and also hypnotist) after the New years period.

I Soooooooo want to stop smoking after over nearly 30 years! and now is the time to act...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

That reminds me of my grandmother, 5th of scotch a day and three packs of unfiltered Camels, she lived to be 98. I think the only reason she lived so long was she was just to mean and hateful. I think every family has someone that is effected by this. Each culture has a different way of using alcohol whether it is beer, wine or spirits. It is hard to break with cultural traditions and for many it causes them to become addicted.

Though your father-in-law knew his limit, it was being at the limit daily that took its toll. The work that he did didn't help due to its requirements and you really cannot blame him, it was part of the job. Still it is sad to hear of his condition.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Hi, and thanks for your nice reply, i hit my bottom a few years back, lost my wife and kids, my job. Went throught denial for a while, worked alot odd jobs to pay 2 rents in a very expensive town for 2 years. My boss at my current job new what i was going throught, my drinking and my family issues, he sat me down one day, told me that throught my work i could go on medical leave to check in a rehab. I right away checked in, had to do a 7 day detox in the east side in vancouver. Then i checked in a government subsidized drug and alccool center for 2 months. Where i was asked to piss in a cup for the dude to pass is urine test lol, was pretty shady center, but some of the staff where good people, i made a good friend with the cook.

Learned the 12 steps, did AA meetings, got myself a sponsor up here, used to go to alot of meeting, not so much anymore.

I havent had a sip in 2 years, still scares me, but my girls remind me why i dont need to drink.

Thats my higher power my girls

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

after many years trying to give up the dreaded cigarette, i have finally plucked up the courage to go and consult a tabacologist (and also hypnotist) after the New years period.

You can do it Rodinus, I'm rooting for you! I walked away from cigarettes 32 years ago, believe me you will be glad you did. How did I do it? I did it for my wife, cold turkey. There was no gum, patch or other things like they have today. Just the love for my wife.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join