It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Netflix Reviews & Recommendations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I see Netflix mentioned a lot here and I am always looking for good documentaries, movies, and shows to watch so I figured others might be looking for the same thing.

I wanted to start a thread for those of us who have Netflix to suggest good movies, docs, and shows we have seen to other members by reviewing them here. Maybe throw some Hulu into the mix as well. Pick your poison as it were.

This idea struck me tonight after I watched (for the second time in as many days) The Boy In The Striped Pajamas. I watched it yesterday by myself and again tonight with my husband and it didn't bother me at all to see it twice that close together because it was so good.

The movie is based on a boy whose father received a promotion through the military to oversee a Holocaust "work" Camp. He and his family then need to pack up and move from their home to this new home where the little boy spots a farm "with people who wear their pajamas all day" from his bedroom window. He is not fully aware of the war, what his father is really doing, or how he should feel (in that era) towards jews.

He finally manages to escape his mother's watchful eye to wander through the woods in his back yard. This is where is spots another little boy "wearing striped pajamas" sitting on the opposite side of an electric fence. After watching for a few seconds, he walks up and befriends the little boy through the fence. They have many visits together where they discuss a lot of adult issues, with childlike understanding.

Nobody has told these two boys that they should not be friends at this point. A lot of realizations occur during the movie, stances are taken and some opinions are swayed. It is very moving to see this story told between these two boys... through the eyes of innocence.

I highly recommend it. Really. It is touching and will leave you feeling more than one way when it ends. I wouldn't have an issue watching it again right now and few movies are that good. It is disturbing and touching at the same time.

Please leave another review below mine as I am always searching for something wonderful to watch. And if you watch this film, let me know what you thought about it.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Why do people still use Netflix? I suppose the people who still use Netflix never heard of Torrents, right?

Torrents is extremly easy to use, and only seems complicated at first when it really isn't. With torrents, you can download almost anything from music, software, games, to movies - for free, assumping you don't go over your monthly bandwidth if you don't have the unlimited option.

Netflix offers only a few choices, and sometimes not always great compared to what Torrents offer, the ability to download any movie available at your fingertips - including movies not yet released. There's a few Screeners available right now, Lone Survivor, and American Hustle.

The best website that I know of, for torrents is kat.ph.

OP - I don't mean to derail your thread, and I will definitely check out that movie. Thanks for sharing, it's always good to see someone sharing a good movie or two.

Regards,

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by TheProphetMark

Not everyone has the ability to download those. Keep that in mind dude. Don't take her thread off track.She's looking For Netflix recommendations. You know,not everyone steals thngs.Anywhoo.

OP,check out Orange is The New Black. It's the female version of OZ(the great HBO show about Prison.) Other then that I've got no recommendations. Just look and see what you want to watch !

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

conan
solomon kane
zeitgeist
arrested development
edit on 31-12-2013 by subfab because: added movie

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Revelation road is a good one, and is on streaming. It's a three parter and number two is available by DVD in the mail. Three goes into production this January, and will likely be out late summer.

It is a apocalyptic thriller with a Christian message, but doesn't get preachy about it.

It's a very well done movie, and I highly recommend it.

I'm going to look into the boy in the striped pajamas, I remember when seeing the previews that it looked good, then I forgot all about it! Thanks for the memory jog.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

I would recommend Orange is the new black as well. I can't remember how I heard about it but, once I saw the first episode, I ended up watching the entire first season in a couple of days.

It's a great series and I cannot wait until the second season comes out.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Stand up guys is currently streaming and it was right on. Christopher walken and al pacino...you cant go wrong. Also there will be blood is our generations citizen kane
edit on 12 31 13 by crawley because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   

We just started using Netflix. Here are my recommendations:

The West Wing (Can't get enough of this show!!! Incredibly fast-paced; excellent writing, acting, camera-work, etc...)

Dr. Who (Who's your favorite Dr?!)

Scrubs (Hospital intern humor.)

Firefly (Futuristic. Comedy/suspense/drama. Awesome show. Should never have been cancelled!)

Downton Abby (Simply awesome British show. Historical fiction that begins with the sinking of the Titanic.)

Doc Martin (British humor- a doctor with a fear of blood sets up shop in a small village. Quirky humor!)

Call the Midwife (set London in the 50's & based on diaries of a real midwife. Historically accurate; nice mix of humor and drama.)

Ally McBeal (Law firm comedy. Maybe the first show with CGI thrown in... dancing baby, anyone?)

That should keep you busy for a few weeks.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Misfits season 1 and 2 are available on Netflix. Love that show. It's funny. It's sad. The characters are pretty unique. But only the first two seasons are available. The entire series is on Hulu for free but the high amount of commercials kind of suck. I just finished watching the entire series last weekend. It ends at Season 5.

Banshee season 1 is on Netflix. I had never even heard of the show before. I guess it is on Cinemax. There was a lot of sex and a ton of over-the-top violence. But it was a pretty good show.

American Horror Story season 1 and 2 on Netflix are good. I'm currently watching Season 2. Asylum. I'll be honest with you, the second season is WAY better than the first.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Must see indy feature films...

Mud

Winters Bone

Beasts of the Southern Wild

Cabin in the Woods

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Archer.

Just watch it.

Really.

Watch it.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Escape from Sobibor - A British made for TV film based on the true story of a mass escape plot by Jewish prisoners from Sobibor a Nazi Extermination camp.

Oldboy - South Korean film with subtitles. If you have never seen this I would 100% recommend! A revenge/thriller/conspiracy film about a man kidnapped and locked away in a room for 15 years with barely any human contact and his journey seeking revenge and answers as to why when he is finally released.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Sherlock

Breaking Bad

The Walking Dead

Hours and hours of pure entertainment...

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Ive had netflix steaming for a year now,.
not all that thrilled with them,
takes too long to get new "headliner" releases
yeah you will get many movies that are B rated
and alot of documentaries, and foreign films.. if that is your thing
then do it.
but if you want to stay current with what comes out of your local
theater.. not so much

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   

TheProphetMark
Why do people still use Netflix? I suppose the people who still use Netflix never heard of Torrents, right?

OP - I don't mean to derail your thread, and I will definitely check out that movie. Thanks for sharing, it's always good to see someone sharing a good movie or two.

Regards,

The thread would have gotten 404'd if it had asked for torrents.
And you are fine.
Please let me know how you like the movie if you do watch it.

nightstalker78
reply to post by TheProphetMark

Not everyone has the ability to download those. Keep that in mind dude. Don't take her thread off track.She's looking For Netflix recommendations. You know,not everyone steals thngs.Anywhoo.

OP,check out Orange is The New Black. It's the female version of OZ(the great HBO show about Prison.) Other then that I've got no recommendations. Just look and see what you want to watch !

Does Orange is the New Black get better after the first 2 episodes? I actually started watching that, and had to turn it off. The sex/nudity was a little much to sit through with my daughter. I didn't go back and try to watch after that. I kind of forgot about it. If it gets better, I would definitely give it another go for sure.... without company of course.

subfab

conan
solomon kane
zeitgeist
arrested development
edit on 31-12-2013 by subfab because: added movie

Arrested Development was hilarious! I like your humor.
Thanks!

caterpillage
Revelation road is a good one, and is on streaming. It's a three parter and number two is available by DVD in the mail. Three goes into production this January, and will likely be out late summer.

It is a apocalyptic thriller with a Christian message, but doesn't get preachy about it.

It's a very well done movie, and I highly recommend it.

I'm going to look into the boy in the striped pajamas, I remember when seeing the previews that it looked good, then I forgot all about it! Thanks for the memory jog.

Revelation Road was absolutely great, though I had no idea there was more than one part. I was hoping!!! That alone, I thank you for! I will definitely seek out part 2.

Let me know how you liked The Boy In The Striped Pajamas when you get around to watching it.

crawley
Stand up guys is currently streaming and it was right on. Christopher walken and al pacino...you cant go wrong. Also there will be blood is our generations citizen kane
edit on 12 31 13 by crawley because: (no reason given)

Christopher Walken and Al Pacino guarantee that I will watch Stand Up Guys. Thanks for the recommendation. Those 2 are really great actors.

I will have to put There Will Be Blood on my to do list as well. Thank you!

tothetenthpower
Archer.

Just watch it.

Really.

Watch it.

~Tenth

I have seen a lot of Archer "things" here and from your recommendation I am going to give it a whirl. I never checked it out because I always assumed it was like reading really old Batman Comics.
We all know what happens when we ASSume...

reply to post by new_here

You and I share the same taste it seems! I have seen EVERYTHING on your list!! I LOVE Downton Abbey the best. I just can't get enough of that show!
edit on 1/2/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I recently found a BUNCH of Mystery Science Theater 3000 episodes!

All other recommendations on this thread are now irrelevant!!!

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Just watched today "Blood Brother " documentary about american guy who moved to India and help the kids with HIV.
Two documentary of Catholic church and pedophile priests cover up
Mea Maxima Culpa
Deliver us from evil

Other stuff
Hemlock Grove - netflix original
From Dusk till Dawn - netflix original
Ripper Street
Orphan Black

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: dollukka
Just watched today "Blood Brother " documentary about american guy who moved to India and help the kids with HIV.
Two documentary of Catholic church and pedophile priests cover up
Mea Maxima Culpa
Deliver us from evil

Other stuff
Hemlock Grove - netflix original
From Dusk till Dawn - netflix original
Ripper Street
Orphan Black

what prompts someone to dig up an old post about this???
wow..
sorry, nothing to add to that

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   
"House of Cards" with Kevin Spacey is riveting! The series "Damages" will keep you binge watching for days! "Monarch of the Glen" is a sweet comedic drama set in Scotland and was big hit in the UK and Australia. We just watched a funky-sort-of -disturbing-yet courageous documentary "The Unhung Hero". There are a few more that we have watched to their end that I'll post here too.

top topics

join