It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bronx: Explosion Felt Across Scarsdale, Pelham Bay on Monday Night

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by csulli456

It was not fireworks. I have seen plenty of fireworks around my area and this was different.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by asinapi1

I agree - thus the purpose of this thread

This was bigger than any fireworks explosion anyone has ever heard.

There is no way you hear firewoks in Scarsdale that are exploding in the Bronx.

If it had anything to do with fireworks - it was a whole lot of mortars emptied and made into a bomb - but that isn't fireworks that is a bomb.

Your house doens't shake in Yonkers because of m80's in Pelham Bay.

The quick statement that this was a few mortars fused together reaks of coverup -see my post above questioning this statement before any suspects were apprehended - it doesn't make much sense.

What we don't know is what exactly is being covered up and why.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

AutumnWitch657
Well of course you're not buying the true story that would ruin a good conspiracy thread now wouldn't it
Want to know what I am not buying? I am not buying the story you feel like telling because it's stupid.
It says plain as day it was fireworks. No no must be those rotten powers that be trying to frighten the people of the Bronx into doing their evil will. You guys could make a conspiracy out of garbage collection.

Wow! This is the crappiest attempt at trolling ever!?!?! Honestly, if you're going to troll, you have to be a little more subtle. Maybe make a point or two. Don't seem so invested in the outcome one way or another. You must be new hire or something cuz' dayum, you suck at this.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Lipton
I don't want to come off as one of the down-players on this topic, but does anyone here have any idea the size an explosion would have to be to be heard/felt at 5 miles from, let alone 50 miles from detonation?

I'll put it this way, if this explosion was indeed felt 50 miles away, then the surrounding structures at the detonation point would of suffered more than some mere broken windows. The buildings would of been blown off their foundations and crumbled. Nearby people not caught in the initial blast and vaporized would be broken in to pieces, not from debris, but merely the shockwave.

I've been on the receiving end of some mortars, seen IEDs toss 10-ton trucks in the air, cooked and assembled some homemade toys and none of these would do what is being reported here.

I don't doubt that a large explosion took place. I am merely of the opinion that it is being exaggerated. The black mushroom cloud and explosion could be something as benign as a chemical plant explosion. Loud? Yup. Scary? Yup. Rattle and break windows? You bet. But not heard 50 miles away.

Even refinery explosions aren't that powerful.

TPTB couldn't hide that sort of blast in one of the densest urban centers of the United States. Nor does it sound like their typical modus operandi. They're more subtle.

edit on 31-12-2013 by Lipton because: OMG a 'their' and 'they're' juxtoposition!

An air-burst like say from a meteorite would have far-reaching effects and still not cause massive damage in any one particular area. Look up the video of the russian metorite last year. Door and windows destroyed but heard and felt for many, many miles around the actual point of impact. That would make the most sense to me anyway. But I'm no expert.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

I can't seem to figure out what possible explanations are plausible. What was it? By whom? And what is the end game?

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Lipton
I don't want to come off as one of the down-players on this topic, but does anyone here have any idea the size an explosion would have to be to be heard/felt at 5 miles from, let alone 50 miles from detonation?

I'll put it this way, if this explosion was indeed felt 50 miles away, then the surrounding structures at the detonation point would of suffered more than some mere broken windows. The buildings would of been blown off their foundations and crumbled. Nearby people not caught in the initial blast and vaporized would be broken in to pieces, not from debris, but merely the shockwave.

I've been on the receiving end of some mortars, seen IEDs toss 10-ton trucks in the air, cooked and assembled some homemade toys and none of these would do what is being reported here.

I don't doubt that a large explosion took place. I am merely of the opinion that it is being exaggerated. The black mushroom cloud and explosion could be something as benign as a chemical plant explosion. Loud? Yup. Scary? Yup. Rattle and break windows? You bet. But not heard 50 miles away.

Even refinery explosions aren't that powerful.

TPTB couldn't hide that sort of blast in one of the densest urban centers of the United States. Nor does it sound like their typical modus operandi. They're more subtle.

edit on 31-12-2013 by Lipton because: OMG a 'their' and 'they're' juxtoposition!

I heard a bomb go off in Manchester England and i was about 5 miles away and it was super loud.But then again it was the biggest bomb ever to go off in mainland Britain including everything the Nazis hit us with.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by asinapi1

I think it was most likely some kind of bomb.

The fireworks explanation is used to calm fears as everyone in the neighborhood hears big firework explosions at least a couple times a year.

The problem with the fireworks story is that everyone in the neighborhood knows what fireworks sound like and they did no hear fireworks - they heard a huge explosion.

Another problem with the fireworks story is that people heard this explosion 20 - 50 miles away from the Park - that's not possible even if you fuse a few mortars together as suggested.

It's possible, I think, that firewoks were hollowed out and the powder was used to make a huge bomb of some sort.

It's possible that some neighborhood kids (not little kids but teenagers or 20 year old range) emptied out some mortars and made this thing and lit it off.

What doesn't make a whole lot of sense is that it could be heard so far away with minimal destruction at the immediate area of the blast.

This part makes me think it may have been buried and detonated, which would, in my not so proffessional opinon, most likely prevent a bigger shock wave.

Another option we can persue is one of the first reports, that police had found a bomb and detonaed it at the Park. If this was found somewhere nearby the Park would seem like a safe place to detonate something that may have been too volatile to transport further without risking an explosion en route.

What makes this further suspicious is the quick explanation of fireworks as the culprit.
If this were indeed fireworks it was still enough to be considered a bomb and we would think something this serious would merit a harsh penalty for the culprits and thus a huge investigation.
They would call it a bomb even if it were fireworks because when they find out who did it they want to charge hem with everything possible - maybe make an example out of someone so thi doesn't happen again.
That would make sense.

So why tell the public it was fireworks before you catch the perps?
Usually the police would keep confiential any information as it would be to their advantage to catch the suspects.

Except it was a huge explosion so maybe in order not to creat panic the fireworks were divulged.
Or, in order to not cause panic the fireworks story was developed.

Facts are facts and people all over Westchester heard this and many felt it as well. It was also heard in Long Island and New Jersey - this was definitely a huge explosion.

The meteroite theory is plausible except for the fact no one saw a meteor or fireball.
Also, how would they know where to look so fast?

Actually, the meteorite theory really isn't plausible because there is a picture or video somewhere that I saw that showed the smoke rising over the Park right after the explosion.

So we know it was some kind of bomb - possibly made from fireworks but a bomb none the less.

So the real questiona are:

What kind of bomb was it?

Was it placed in the Park by some pranksters or found and brought there by police to be detonated?

There is definitely something amiss with the fireworks explanation - you just don't hear them that far away and if you did you would expect a lot more damage at the place of detonation.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   

I'm with you on not buying the fireworks story, just Google Loud boom and look at the news links...way to many!

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Staroth

No doubt.

All I have to do is look at my feed on fb - many friends in Westchester and the Bronx - nobody believes it was fireworks.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Random thought I had, but given how little destruction there was around the area, has anyone considered that this was an underground explosion? If it could be heard for 30 miles and was above ground, there should definitely be signs.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
*sigh* Just once, I'd like the "officials" to come out with the truth on this...give me a break, that scorch mark that they are peddling to the media looks like an M-80 went off, not an explosion audible from more than 10 miles away...

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by parad0x122

I think the explosion may have been buried.

It was felt miles away and heard up to 50 miles away.

That sure was no m80.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Here is the latest media update.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
This video shows the plume of smoke around the 1 minute mark.

The repoter reporting also personally attests to feeling this explosion in Harrison NY.

Harrison NY is over 20 miles from Pelham Bay in the Bronx.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Here is one of the first news reports.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Has anyone ever felt the shockwaves from an acetylene balloon bomb? Well we filled a small balloon up with that gas from my friends torch and oh my god one small balloon about knocked me over from 100ft away. I think this was that plus maybe some other fireworks tied to it to detonate simultaneously, that plus the cold air and temperature inversion made the blast really hit hard far away. But deff consider temperature, cold dense air makes sounds travel further.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

incoserv
Yeah, didn't sound like fireworks to me. But I predict that folks will question for a bit, then just shut up and swallow the official line. As usual.

what about a sonic boom for instance.
link

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by incoserv

Strange there was a similar event in Ontario on Christmas eve.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by tribaltrip

Thanks for sharing.

Can you give us some more details?

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I agree 100%, no way that it was fireworks. Unfortunately, the seismographic data came up with no results for that date when I checked it earlier in the week too :-/ Frustrating. Has anything else happened since then, or all quiet?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join