It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phil Robertson Says Girls Should Be Married Off at “15 or 16”

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Now wait.... is he advocating that adult men (the 21+ club) hit up 15-16 year olds, or is he advocating marriage of 15-16 year old boys with 15-16 year old girls?

Most of the world see this age as an adult. Why doesn't the USA?

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Booshka

I am a female late 20's and what are you talking about? That was my point. Duh Don't you think any man with 15 - 16 year old daughters wouldn't bust a cap off in his AZZ.

That was my point.

I have a two, almost three year old daughter and I have thought this through many times.

I hate the image of the irrational father who cannot come to terms with the fact that his daughter is a human being and is going to want to have sex.

When my daughter is 15 or 16 and actually wants to have sex with someone, I am not going to go "busting caps" in anyone--no matter WHO her partner of choice might be.

That entire attitude is so backwards and irrational. It's like children that cannot cope with reality so they need their sugar-coated, manufactured concepts to play in.

That is not to say that if someone actually harmed my daughter (you know, like rape) that I wouldn't rip their throats out with my bare hands-because I would.

But the entire concept of the over-protective father "protecting" his virgin daughters from sex is retarded. There is no better word to describe it. Retarded.
edit on 1-1-2014 by LewsTherinThelamon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

TDawgRex
reply to post by Onslaught2996

Times are a'changin'.

100 years ago, this actually made sense. Nowadays, not so much. But at the rate we as a species are headed, I can see where this would make sense again. It's all about survival. Breed faster than the death rate and humanity will survive. If we didn't, we'd end up extinct.

One hundred years ago many more women died in childbirth because those women were in fact girls who's bodies were not ready to have babies. At 15 or 16 the body is not developed enough but of course girls can get pregnant as soon as the begin menstruating even if this begins at 11. They thought that if she could get pregnant then she was ready to be pregnant but that simply is not true. Bone structure alone has a big say in how successful a pregnancies outcome is.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Well, I'm glad it's been debated and settled.

Girls at the age of 15 should not be able to get abortions, birth control, or have sex because at that age, they can't make rational choices and are susceptible to coercion by older males.

Who says we all can't agree on issues?

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

beezzer
Well, I'm glad it's been debated and settled.

Girls at the age of 15 should not be able to get abortions, birth control, or have sex because at that age, they can't make rational choices and are susceptible to coercion by older males.

Who says we all can't agree on issues?

Wow did you see how you contradicted yourself?

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

I don't understand. (I killed many brain cells last night)

Either girls can or cannot make rational decisions at that age.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Willtell

It's not so arbitrary when you consider that girls continue to grow until they are about eighteen but reach sexual maturity years before they are actually fully grown. This can and does cause complications in delivery. The fact that we have realized this here in our country won't make a difference in other countries any more than their traditions should make a difference here. If we were to follow their views for women many of the middle eastern nations still advocate circumcision for girls. That is the removal of the clitoris and labia majora and then sewing the vagina closed save a tiny opening for menstrual fluids to flow out. These women will never have an orgasm and sexual intercourse will always be painful for them . They are forbidden to be sexual except to satisfy the male.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by AutumnWitch657

My point is that laws are always relative to the cultural experience.
And some of the old culture in today's world still reverberate past norms, therefore you have guys like Phil talking about marrying 15 and 16 year-olders that is based on an old religious set of paradigms.
Clash of cultures as we evolve to I don't know what

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

They are not making rational decisions they are making emotional decisions with an educated edge in the case of contraceptives. But in the case of marriage they are saying get her young so you can train her to be a good wife meaning any other options that may be available to her should be removed from her choices so she is easy to control. It was like this for centuries and women who did show a mind of their own were often punished for showing it. They were locked away or were shunned by society in one way or another and in many cases were regulated by law as to what behaviours were allowable and which ones were not. Based solely on them being women. We do not need a return to this kind of thinking.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

It's a touchy subject for sure. In tribal cultures usually marriage occurs one week after menstruation begins. Tribal cultures eat a completely different diet than the west, our meat based diet is loaded with growth hormones and leads to premature maturing.

I think rights should be based on the individual. My mother was one of 9 siblings she had 4 sisters every single one got married at 15. Now if they can marry at 15 they should also have the right to make there own decisions at this age. Once there married they have the rights of adults.

edit: I know plenty of adults that can't make rational decisions.
edit on 1-1-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Girls will have sex at that age and it should be with boys of the same age. Girls without access to birth control will still have sex because their bodies over ride their brains. Girls at that age will get pregnant with or without birth control because it's not 100% effective and they will still be raped in which case they don't have any say over whether birth control is used or not, therefore need the option to have an abortion is valid, and something a girl or a woman cannot do without council. You are disappointingly full of false arguments these days as the issue of whether grown ass men should find child brides to be trained correctly has absolutely nothing to do with fifteen year old girls having sex.
edit on 1/1/2014 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
It's awkward, isn't it.

Stating that girls aren't mature enough or smart enough or are too naïve to understand what a grown man might say to them, yet state that they are mature enough, smart enough to determine what they can do with their own bodies.

I think the idea of child brides are sick and twisted. I also think that girls aren't mature enough to make decisions on abortions and birth control at that age.

But then again, I try to be consistant.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Kali74

That's really what this PC crap boils down to for me. Certain types of people want to be able to insult and offend whoever they want (I support their right to do so) but... they want to be able to do so without anyone questioning them or anyone defending themselves. If you defend yourself or the targeted group/person then you're being PC. It's like saying if someone hits you, you have to stand there and take it, you can't hit back.

You just described 99% of what happens in the media.
It happens all the time.
I get called a bigot, gun nut, religious fanatic, racist, right wing militant scumbag every day that rolls. It happens constantly. Quite frankly. I don't care because I know it's short sighted and narrow minded opinion.
It's everywhere and it's constant.

But then, some guy says something somewhere that the other side doesn't like and they turn to me, the bigoted, gun nut, religious fanatic, racist, right wing militant scumbag and say,"Oh my God! That duck killing hippy in Louisiana said some stuff in a GQ interview.

We've got to get him fired! Maybe even put in JAIL! We won't put up with ignorant backwards people saying mean things about other people.

Don't you agree you bigoted, gun nut, religious fanatic, racist, right wing militant scumbag?
Don't you agree that people shouldn't be allowed to say mean things?

That's what I get out of the daily dialogue.
People are fed up with defending themselves for what everybody else thinks.

And they are fed up with watching people get attacked for it.
And losing their jobs for it.
The people attacking them are no better because they are just as guilty of running their mouth and supporting the glorification of this ongoing trash fest.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Silenceisalie
Now wait.... is he advocating that adult men (the 21+ club) hit up 15-16 year olds, or is he advocating marriage of 15-16 year old boys with 15-16 year old girls?

He's an old guy and people used to get married young.
He's saying that people should get married young but he knows that's not the way things are any more.
He also knows that nobody with any brains is going to take him seriously.

This is just an ongoing effort to trash the guy because of that GQ interview.

It has nothing to do with adulthood. It's just a politically motivated mud slinging contest.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

badgerprints

Silenceisalie

He's an old guy and people used to get married young.
He's saying that people should get married young but he knows that's not the way things are any more.
He also knows that nobody with any brains is going to take him seriously.

This is just an ongoing effort to trash the guy because of that GQ interview.

It has nothing to do with adulthood. It's just a politically motivated mud slinging contest.

Unfortunately, you are correct.

Very few have taken the time to understand the CONTEXT of what he said and understand that he was not advocating for older men to marry young girls. He was talking specifically about a conversation he had with a young man and his relationship with his girlfriend.

But we have once again blown this out of proportion and have given the zealots the outcome they so desired. We are fighting amongst ourselves and its all over something absolutely stupid!

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

You just described 99% of what happens in the media.
It happens all the time.
I get called a bigot, gun nut, religious fanatic, racist, right wing militant scumbag every day that rolls. It happens constantly. Quite frankly. I don't care because I know it's short sighted and narrow minded opinion.
It's everywhere and it's constant.

Maybe 99% of what happens in your head. Who in the MSM calls you a bigot or gun nut or any such thing?

But then, some guy says something somewhere that the other side doesn't like and they turn to me, the bigoted, gun nut, religious fanatic, racist, right wing militant scumbag and say,"Oh my God! That duck killing hippy in Louisiana said some stuff in a GQ interview.

Who asked you? The media reported that Phil Robertson was suspended because of something he said in a GQ interview. That's news because it's an extremely popular show. Now people around the country are discussing the issue, no one asked you... no one said "hey gun nut scumbag, don't you think that guy is a prick?" You chose to participate.

We've got to get him fired! Maybe even put in JAIL! We won't put up with ignorant backwards people saying mean things about other people.

I don't recall anyone asking for him to be fired. I recall some people asking if A&E were in fact LGBT advocates like they claim. Certainly no one said put the man in jail, that's ludicrous. And I'm pretty sure what people are saying is... homosexuality isn't the same as bestiality.

People are fed up with defending themselves for what everybody else thinks.

Ironic. I'm pretty sure gay people are tired of being compared to perverts that are into children and animals. But they apparently don't have the right to defend themselves against such because that's being politically correct.

And they are fed up with watching people get attacked for it.

Imagine that. Don't you think gay people are tired of being attacked?

And losing their jobs for it.

Irony again.

The people attacking them are no better because they are just as guilty of running their mouth and supporting the glorification of this ongoing trash fest.

And you jumped right in, same as everyone else.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Kali74

And you jumped right in, same as everyone else.

Huh,
Same as you.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Yep. I had something to say, so I did. I wasn't being PC. I wasn't being a leftist. I was just being a person and commenting.
edit on 1/1/2014 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by LDragonFire

I don't understand. (I killed many brain cells last night)

Either girls can or cannot make rational decisions at that age.

You're presenting left-leaning people with a black and white choice. Of course they are going to fight you on it, the world is gray to them, there is no right or wrong, unless of course, they determine it for everyone else.

When I clicked on this thread, I had an inkling of what I was going to see, and yet I still clicked on it. I want my bandwidth back, this is nothing short of yet another liberal hate-fest on one particular person.

It really blows my mind that these very people can scream and yell about tolerance of different views, while at the same time vilifying anyone with a view that differs from theirs.

The best part about this is that Phil Robertson probably couldn't care less what anyone thinks of his opinions and will continue to not only survive, but flourish in this ridiculously silly P.C. world.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
What I find hypocritical about the Conservative right is that they will criticize and rag on any left leaning celebrity when they express an opinion, but when one of their own gets called on his BS; it's whine and crybaby time. awww poor baby....
edit on 1-1-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join