It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phil Robertson Says Girls Should Be Married Off at “15 or 16”

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Tune in next week for the latest edition of "Phil Robertson Says". Seriously this is getting ridiculous.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I don't agree with the label of pedophilia if the difference in ages is not great, kids today also are much more "mature" (physically and well mentally even if most of it is rubbish). We have gone from a age that a child had no childhood due to a need for work to a loss of childhood due to a loss of appropriate social spaces, freedom and security and a repressive force to create fake excellence.

100 years ago, this actually made sense.

It made more sense socially but not much else, even the level of culture was way more basic. I think that it needs no regulations I think that it is in the Netherlands that sexual maturity is recognized as 14, I have no problem with that if social protection works properly and abuses are expediently dealt with... My view is that people should be free to live as they wish with as little interference as possible, especially if no one is being harmed...

Not so long ago the longevity was 25 years, today we have longer lives (but often lacking worth in content and health), even so life expectancy is diminishing world wide...

In any case marriage as an institution (and even as a legal contract) is on its way out.

edit on 31-12-2013 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Onslaught2996

his first alledged " controvertial statement " could be taken taken

but this ` new ` outburst is just deliberate dung stirring

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

That may be the stupidest thing you've ever posted lil rabbit.. in a long history of stupid posts at that. What's a pedophile? Look it up lil buddy.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Not that I really care about any of this garbage or distraction because I can see it draws the worst out of the masses that follow it....but...

If his views on marriage are that of his religion, then his statement holds water. If a girl at age 15 or 16 decides to engage in intercourse with a male partner, then they should get married first. So I really don't see the issue with what he said especially because it is based on his religious beliefs. Marriage before sex is part of his entire belief system. Why does that merit ridicule? He isn't a political figure, nor does he make laws or rules for the nation. Basically....WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL?

Pretty simple and clearly not a left/right issue.
Whoever brought affiliation into this is just plain idiotic.

I am beginning to believe that the people who keep bringing his words to light are truly just digging for dirt themselves and should leave the man alone. He, just like EVERY other American, is entitled to his beliefs and freedom to convey them through speech.

This is a non-issue.

/thread

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I really don't know how anyone finds this surprising. This is the Right's mindset. This is what the entire debate of abortion and birth control is about. Tricking or coercing young women to marry older men before they develop their own identity and making them reliant on weak men that are after a servant and sex toy rather than a fully functioning equal. And of course like every other Conservative poster boy when it comes to practicing it in his own family it doesn't apply.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   

tsingtao

Booshka
I think a terrific episode for a television program should be this:

Phil Robertson: Jim Bob, ummm Mr. Duggar I'd like permission to "court" one of your daughters.

If they're over 16, I can't be having any of that.

Heck of an episode/s. Join two empires.
They both win.

you joke, right?

what are you, 40+?
do you not think you'd be loaded with birdshot in your butt, if you tried that?

I am a female late 20's and what are you talking about? That was my point. Duh
Don't you think any man with 15 - 16 year old daughters wouldn't bust a cap off in his AZZ.

That was my point.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Onslaught2996

Take it in context. He married his wife when she was 16.
He's saying it worked for them.
I totally disagree with people getting married that young.
But he's got a right to tell people that his wife married at 16 and it worked out great.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Next time I watch the documentary film "Li'l Abner", about a young woman who, on Sadie Hawkins day, attempts to capture the heart of a young man, Abner, I will think of Phil and his hordes of young daughters running willy-nilly around Dogpatch High School's parking lot, being sought after or leeringly doing the soughting. And now when I need my duck cleaned, I will slick back my hair with canned oil, put on my finest gettin' married duds, and hitchhike myself down to that parking lot pronto, per and in hopes of duplicating the ideal life as portrayed in the mental construct of Mr. Robertson's Right-Winged American Neighborhood.
edit on 31-12-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I enjoy the squirming that so many are doing here.

Teen "girls" (according to progressives) can opt for the morning after pill, get abortions, have sex; make all those decisions for themselves because it is their body, after all, yet whisper the word marriage @ a 16 year old girl and horrors upon horrors ( !!! ) it's now pedophilia!

Apparently, teen girls are mature enough to determine their own sexual behavior, but are immature little girls if marriage is proposed.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   

coastlinekid
reply to post by GrantedBail

Excuse me,... but in AMERICA you have the right to be an idiot... he just happens to be RICH!!!

Why aren't there threads about CORPORATE ELITES and their personal opinions? Maybe because the people in charge of these networks aren't interested in exploiting themselves...

And I will defend that idiot all day!!!

But of course we should all be like YOU!!! right?

This man has done NOTHING WRONG other than SPEAK HIS VIEWS...

If you don't like his views... FINE but don't expect validation of YOUR views of him...

edit on 30-12-2013 by coastlinekid because: (no reason given)

You know you don't actually get to say whatever you want here right? No I'm not talking some crazy conspiracy non-sense I mean literally. The first amendment pertains to purely political speech. Basically I can say that I think that the government should be deposed and replaced with an elected board of Cattle and the government can't do anything to me about it.

However when you open your mouth and spit ignorance, hate and bigotry you deserve every single flak of stray # that you get. Phil Robertson is a terrible person through and through. Now of course there are plenty of people like him and with his mentality out there, of course it could all be a part of his fake persona, since ya know the show is fake as all get out. But what's even worse is defending a man that advocates pedophilia, equates being gay to being a terrorist, etc. etc. So is Robertson the real issue here? I don't think he is. I think it's the people that defend him and his "Character" which totally exists because the bible tells me so.

So for whatever reason you choose to defend him and what he says, whether it's some ignorant concept of what the bill of rights and the constitution actually entail and guarantee as a right. Maybe you agree with his views? I don't really know nor do I care.

But don't even try to act like someone with morals calling a # person out on his load of crap is wrong to do so.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   

beezzer

Teen "girls" (according to progressives) can opt for the morning after pill, get abortions, have sex; make all those decisions for themselves because it is their body, after all, yet whisper the word marriage @ a 16 year old girl and horrors upon horrors ( !!! ) it's now pedophilia!

Apparently, teen girls are mature enough to determine their own sexual behavior, but are immature little girls if marriage is proposed.

The difference is in intent and your apparent failure to grasp that he's basically advocating coercion and brainwashing.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Yes, but sex and marriage have nothing to do with each other (as many people know). A young girl can have sex with who and when she pleases, but for a grown duck-hunter to advocate that people actually seek out the 15 and 16 year olds in high school parking lots, in hopes of marrying them to help them clean their ducks, that's a quack of a different color.

I have nothing against young girls having sex, their bodies their minds to coin a book title. And they can marry whom they please as well. I'm reading this thread as a dissection of the mindset of a man who has now become the symbol of right-wing America, and it ain't looking pretty from this side of the swamp.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

The way I see it, if the idea of marrying a 15 or 16 year old had come from some pundit on MSNBC, then many would be in support, because (after all) young women are mature enough to make decisions about their own body.

But because it came from Phil Robertson, then it is reviled.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Awolscout

beezzer

The difference is in intent and your apparent failure to grasp that he's basically advocating coercion and brainwashing.

So young women are susceptible to coercion and brainwashing because of their lack of maturity?

Wouldn't that also apply to abortion decisions, birth control decisions, sex decisions?

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   

“You need to check with mom and dad about that of course,” says Robertson

LINK.

Ha!

16 year old girls having sex anyway is a red herring here.

This guy is talking about the old system of a father handing off his young daughter to a man like some kind of possession.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

I'm male. I'm fiscally libertarian and socially progressive.

I also said - AT WORST. :p

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

It's not the marrying bit but the stalking high school parking lots bit that's questionable. Yet I will say in Phil's defense (although it is a dark day in my soul when I defend such as he) that he's playing a character and making money from that portrayal. I doubt very much that in real life this guy is more than an actor, laughing all the way to his personal in-house ATM, and downing best-year Rubicon while in the private confines of his 70-room trailer (I don't know where he lives, but that sounded apt). And as an actor, like the other hillbilly comedians, he has to keep putting on his marks and causing an occasional stir to sell the merchandise before the peak years pass and the next-creep-in-line emerges like a swamp butterfly crawling out of a bird-blood-soaked cocoon.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   

I think it disgusting as well.

But I see hypocrisy when I'm told that girls are old enough and mature enough to make all these decisions concerning their body, yet aren't mature enough to notice a horny old guy cruising the parking lot.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   

beezzer

I think it disgusting as well.

But I see hypocrisy when I'm told that girls are old enough and mature enough to make all these decisions concerning their body, yet aren't mature enough to notice a horny old guy cruising the parking lot.

What? Beezzer, have you been following me?? (/signs off, preoccupied by seeing a blonde sophomore in the parking lot looking at texts about Miley and that cat)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join