It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phil Robertson Says Girls Should Be Married Off at “15 or 16”

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Onslaught2996

In Biblical times, this was the norm.

However . . . there was a WHOLE CONGRUENT, MORE OR LESS WORKING CULTURE supporting that by the women in the clan training the young brides in how to be successful, effective and hopefully, cherished wives.

The young brides were not on their own with their often YOUNG husbands. All were accountable, to some degree, to the group. All were taught how to mature into competent, responsible, caring spouses . . . when and to the degree the system worked . . . for the periods of time that it did.

It will NOT WORK in a diverse mess of a culture full of fiercely hyper-individualists independently 'doing their own thing.'

I see conservative Christian bashing is alive and well on ATS. Nothing new there.

edit on 30/12/2013 by BO XIAN because: added.

edit on 30/12/2013 by BO XIAN because: left out

edit on 30/12/2013 by BO XIAN because: added

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Don't ya love how the threat level of Martin keeps rising, even when he has nothing to do with the topic?

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
States Age of Consent

some surprising ....

Connecticut 15

Colorado 15

Hawaii 14

Idaho 14

D.C. 16

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   

amazing
I really don't know where this guy is coming from. With this society and our norms. 18 is generally considered the age of consent. I know there are states with lower ages but 18 is the age of adulthood and coming of age in our modern society. To advocate a younger age is ...well it's wrong. I don't think it's just a disagreement of principles? I really don't like this guy or anything he stands for. That he's become a darling of the Right Wing is...troubling.

Totally wrong. The age of consent in ALL of Canada is 16. Most of Europe is 16 and much of it is 14. Most of the US it is 16. It is younger in Asia where it is 14. However, you have ruled it is 'wrong' so I guess the world will have to change its laws for you.

Why don't you just admit that you don't like Phil because he is conservative and are nit piking at one statement he made taken out of context. This is just another Romney / Palin etc liberal hit piece by an extreme left wing news source.

edit on 2013/12/30 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   

beezzer

If you're mature enough to determine sexual activity, you aren't mature enough to determine marriage?

ACTUALLY, IIRC . . . men's brains particularly do

NOT MATURE

until 30+ years old.

Judgment is particularly flawed due to the immaturity.

In Biblical times the youth were guided in their choices and decisions by their fathers and older brothers, uncles, grandfathers etc. And they listened and obeyed.

Not gonna happen in our era and culture.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I dunno. I mean -- for a girl, "sexual activity is - at worst - 3 minutes worth of being dominated by an insecure loser with a penis. Marriage, on the other hand, can be a much harsher (and significantly longer lasting) sentence....

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
EDIT: The article says the video is from 2009. You probably should've included that in the title, or the OP, because not doing so gives the impression that he said this recently. One would think Phil Robertson was running for office with all the dirt that's being dug up on him. Don't get me wrong, what Phil said was ignorant, but the anti-phil crowd should be very careful about posting stuff like this, because it could be used against them.

Kali74
reply to post by beezzer

Sure because acknowledging that teenagers do stupid things too early in life, like have sex and wanting to make sure they don't get pregnant as a result is the same thing as saying you gotta marry girls at 15, before they become adult, independent women that won't put up with your chauvinist BS... is the same thing?
That plus birth control has uses other than sex, so his comparison is dumb either way you look at it.

ATS really should do something about these kinds of posts. Seems like every political thread I see there's at least one false equivalency posted by a partisan hack.
edit on 31-12-2013 by technical difficulties because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-12-2013 by technical difficulties because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   

0zzymand0s
reply to post by beezzer

I dunno. I mean -- for a girl, "sexual activity is - at worst - 3 minutes worth of being dominated by an insecure loser with a penis. Marriage, on the other hand, can be a much harsher (and significantly longer lasting) sentence....

Are you female? and you know for sure "sexual activity is-at worst - 3 minutes of being dominated by an insecure loser with a penis." You are a female or just another conservative male telling women what to feel?

What you posted shows why you guys have been losing elections!
edit on 31-12-2013 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

So when progressives say that girls of 13 can determine their own birth control, they're being pedophiles as well, right?

It always annoys me when people get up and say our teenagers are not ready.

Perhaps they should look at the society they are a part of and say, "Hey, WTF happened."

It was not long ago in the US that women around 14 to 16 were responsible and were getting married.

All over the rest of the world this happens today.

What went wrong. Why are teenagers in the western countries so childish.

Could it be that society has stuffed up education. Could it be that these children have no responsibility, no care of other people and the broader community. Perhaps wrapping them up in cotton wool does not work. Perhaps making sure that schools don't fail anyone and no one really wins at sport and other contests because we are all winners, stuffs up our children.

Our children seem more interested in computer games, texting and frivolity and it is getting worse and worse.

In other countries, girls and boys at this sort of age are getting ready for marriage and a work life.

Look at the culture. Look at the problems, there are so many staring you in the face. The richest most affluent country on the face of the world and you have more peeps in jail than anyone else. You have a huge drug problem and you have so many homeless. It starts with children who are stopped from growing up and who suffer little for misdeeds.

They take no responsibility when young because they are not asked to.

P

edit on 31/12/2013 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
The lowest age of consent in the US is 16 years old when considering sex between adult men (or women) and younger partners. Period. The range is between 16-18. (Source 1) (Source 2)(Different states also have different standards when both participants are "under age.")

Biblical sexual and marriage mores included polygamy (Genesis 4:9, 16:3, 29:28, Judges 8:29 et. al), forcing a rape victim to marry her attacker (Deuteronomy 22:28-29), incest (Genesis 19:30-36), etc. etc.

Obviously, different cultures have had differing standards than are considered appropriate in in the United States in 2013. However, promoting such distant history as apologetics for Phil Robertson, an individual held up as some kind of current "moral paragon," is very disturbing to many.

Bashing others is not rare in our society, sadly, for example, Mr. Robertson (and believers like him) regularly call people evil, immoral, heartless, ruthless, and full of murder, etc. etc. based on narrow interpretation of the bible ... when the people they are condemning exhibit none of those characteristics in their lives. Some folks group all Christians together as vile hypocrites because of the ignorance and dishonesty inherent in the beliefs of a certain few.

Both of these modes of behavior are mutually unacceptable to reasonable and rational society.

Some have understandably adopted a standard of "hating the beliefs, but loving the believers."
edit on 1Tue, 31 Dec 2013 01:19:52 -060013p0120141266 by Gryphon66 because: id. est.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I think a terrific episode for a television program should be this:

Phil Robertson: Jim Bob, ummm Mr. Duggar I'd like permission to "court" one of your daughters.

If they're over 16, I can't be having any of that.

Heck of an episode/s. Join two empires.
They both win.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by amazing

So, at 18 the kids automatically become adults, mentally and physically?

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
it worrie's me that the rest of the world see this stupid programme and think all american's are like this lot they look like they were living in the middle east with those horrid beard's

anyone who watches this really is brain dead

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Kali74
reply to post by beezzer

Sure because acknowledging that teenagers do stupid things too early in life, like have sex and wanting to make sure they don't get pregnant as a result is the same thing as saying you gotta marry girls at 15, before they become adult, independent women that won't put up with your chauvinist BS... is the same thing?

ya, better they get knocked up years before they are able to marry.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Onslaught2996

Helious

Not a violent MMA wannabe who was a proven racist that liked to get his purple on, you know, the truth?

Who Martin was had no bearing on that night, as Zimmerman had no clue about him or what he "supposedly" was.

All Zimmerman saw was a young black kid who he sterotyped.

ya and TM had no clue about GZ. just another "craka" he could beat.

same thing, right?

as to the OP, what is wrong with what phil said?

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Booshka
I think a terrific episode for a television program should be this:

Phil Robertson: Jim Bob, ummm Mr. Duggar I'd like permission to "court" one of your daughters.

If they're over 16, I can't be having any of that.

Heck of an episode/s. Join two empires.
They both win.

you joke, right?

what are you, 40+?
do you not think you'd be loaded with birdshot in your butt, if you tried that?

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   

0zzymand0s
reply to post by beezzer

...............................................................................................................

HAHAHAHA!!!! please stop! LMAO!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! No wait .... there is more..... HHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

silly silly silly......now go get me a beer and some beef jerky and shut up!!!!!!

whoops, sorry did I just think it or type it?

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   

As was pointed out - you need to look up the definition of pedophilia as you’re not using it correctly.
That being said - I see nowhere in the link where it’s ‘dirty old men’ wedding 16 year old girls.

I can understand what this guy's point is. Take a little look at some of the, ermmmm ‘role models’ young girls have today?

They’re filthy - the little 'twearking' anorexic/bulimic putrid leavings of society parading on stage with their butts in the air like a female dog in heat, tongues out like a promising whore all while rubbing at their privates in public? Oh yeah - that’s just what young women should aspire to be! You bet! Right?

Wrong.

With the above as an example and knowing parents/community/society can’t or will not guide these young women in the direction of gaining self respect instead of idol status - let's look at the options shall we.

We can let them go wild - corrupting their younger sisters - or - marry young to a man who loves them and will guide them with a kind hand teaching them self respect, love of themselves, a cleanness of living, etc.

There such an epidemic of young women willing to ‘give it up’ at a young age - to scumbags who use them - which only proves to me these young women are dying for love, attention, care, affection. IMHO it’s better to marry than just give it away from user to user to user.

Note to OP: I’d be the first one to plant a bullet in the brain of anyone who used a child as a sex object but I don‘t think that‘s what this guy was alluding to at all. IMO - if the girl is WILLING - marrying early is not the lesser of evils but a good option for young women who have no where else to go but hell.

peace
edit on 31-12-2013 by silo13 because: who cares how to spell twearking, twerking - ugh...

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   
And the sad thing is, most people nowadays would defend a 15 or 16 year-old girl's "right" to abort a baby after voluntarily having sex outside of marriage.

I personally don't feel like children younger than legal adult age should get married, but in most states the age of consent is younger than that.

And, if anybody actually watched the video, they can tell he was telling a story about both a young man and a young woman, not saying that men who are well into adulthood should go hang out at high schools to pick up underage girls or whatever some people are saying he said.

That video was 90% him talking about the Bible, so we know what this is REALLY about. I'm not defending Phil. I'm defending God and His Son, our Savior, Jesus Christ.

There is nothing wrong with being blessed financially if the Lord sees it fit to have it so, but sadly, I have a feeling Phil is slowly replacing the true God with the false god, the love of which, is the root of all evil.

edit on 31-12-2013 by jeramie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Bassago

You mean the black kid who was bashing Zimmerman's head into the concrete?

OP - The age of consent in WA is 16.

There's an age of consent for getting your head bashed in?
There a couple of muggers I'd like for you to have a talk with then.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join