Earthquake 5.1 on El Hierro and distortions beneath the crust are still going!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Update from todays activity google translated.

2013-12-31 08: 52 UTCWat we had this morning was confirmed by the new data distortion last night expecting a general decline (deflation) of the island. (Note: some signals - HI01 and HI10 - were not updated) Frontera had a 1 day deflation of 4 cm!. Yesterday we saw the last tremor disappears from different seismographs. Tremor is the indication that magma is moving somewhere under the eiland. Two new earthquakes have no special meaning when they are likely to be generated by deformation stress and not by stress or magma movement. This will certainly happen again in the next dagen.How long does it take the next crisis? No one knows if it can happen tomorrow or next year, but scientists are convinced that there is more activity periods will follow.We were again pleasantly surprised by the many people following this crisis through earthquake-report.com. We will also continue. This report in the future Continue to send when you see something irregular on the seismographs a comment.
edit on 0b24America/ChicagoTue, 31 Dec 2013 04:10:24 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoTue, 31 Dec 2013 04:10:24 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

That is a big earthquake for that part of the world - there have historically been larger ones (some much larger) but they are fairly rare events. I would therefore surmise that is the result of some fairly large scale magma shifting.

I have to say though, i really wouldn't worry about volcanic activity at El Hierro causing problems for La Palma. it would have to be major earthquake for any chance whatsoever of that happening and even then it is highly unlikely. In point of fact, the La Palma mega tsunami conclusions have been seriously disputed by other seismologists and geo physicists, with recent research indicating that even if a flank collapse were to occur, the resulting waves would be much much smaller than those sensationally spun in the media!

I would add though that there is potential for significant damage in that part of the world. For example, evidence has been found in Tenerife of a paleoquake dating to around 3500 years ago that caused liquefaction. Add to that that it is a volcanic archipelago and it has the potential for much nastiness for the locals.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Let's hope for the best then.. I'm not an expert but I know what danger looks like when I see it. I have the feeling earth is reacting on all the human flaws we make lately. But I know that its to early to say that something is going to happen I agree. .

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

Oh i don't know......it is ongoing volcanic activity. We could be seeing the birth of a fantastic holiday destination for those around in say 100'000 years!

Seriously though, whilst i genuinely believe there is no imminent danger, i would be rather worried if i lived there because Mother nature is great at throwing curve balls - you think you have something figured out and then "bam", something completely new and unexpected happens.

Teide in Tenerife is the one to worry about although there is no real activity there at the present. I once had a geology book that demonstrated that a major eruption of Teide most certainly is possible and could also potentially make the Vesuvius eruption look small. It had possible projected pyroclastic flows upto a depth of 10ft covering the entire island! Obviously, that was pretty much a worst case scenario but based on the geological record, certainly a possibility at some future point. I know driving around up there is certainly pretty eerie!
edit on 31-12-2013 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

<< 1   >>

join

atslive.com

hi-def

low-def