It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Romney Grandchild Mocked As Token On MSNBC

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:29 AM
link   

IAMTAT
Harris Perry bows to overwhelming condemnation and apologizes:
FROM CNN:

1 hour ago
MSNBC host apologizes after panel makes fun of Romney photo with black grandchild

Posted by
CNN's Ashley Killough
Updated 8:50 a.m. ET, 12/31/2013

(CNN) - An MSNBC host apologized Tuesday morning after she and panelists on her weekend program faced criticism after poking fun at a photo of Mitt Romney, his wife and their nearly two dozen grandchildren, zeroing in on the Romneys' recently adopted African-American grandchild, Kieran.

"I am sorry. Without reservation or qualification. I apologize to the Romney family. #MHPapology," Melissa Harris-Perry wrote on Twitter.

"As black child born into large white Mormon family I feel familiarity w/ Romney family pic & never meant to suggest otherwise."

"I apologize to all families built on loving transracial adoptions who feel I degraded their lives or choices," she continued, on Twitter.

During the segment, which appeared on the show "Melissa Harris-Perry," the panelists made jokes about the infant standing out.

Two panelists later said their comments weren’t directed at the baby and apologized if the family was offended.

Asked Sunday to come up with captions for the photo as part of a game they were playing, one of panelists, actress Pia Glenn, started singing lines from the song popularized by Sesame Street: "One of These Things Is Not Like the Others."

Another panelist, comedian Dean Obeidallah, said the picture "really sums up the diversity of the Republican Party." (Obeidallah appears frequently on CNN and writes a regular opinion column for CNN.com.)

Harris-Perry described the baby as "gorgeous," before predicting Kieran would one day marry North West, the daughter of Kanye West and Kim Kardashian.

"Can you imagine Mitt Romney and Kanye West as in-laws?" Harris-Perry said, drawing laughs.

CNN reached out to Romney and MSNBC for a comment.

politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...

she is not black, she is 1/2 white, like obama.

she's a friggin teacher at tulane too.

goes to show education doesn't make you smart.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   

MystikMushroom
I'm fairly certain Romeny's adopted grandson is a political thing to make him look like less of a stodgy, rich, old white Republican. He's also Mormon, and the Mormon's have been trying hard to change their image in regards to African Americans.

I don't think the comments the news people made were appropriate, but those are my feelings when I see Romney with that kid.

I guess I'm just jaded and numb to the world of politics these days.

are you even a mormon or religious?

u are not numb, you embrace your partisanship.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   

MystikMushroom
It's interesting to go back through and read the comments here by replacing "MSNBC" with "Fox News". The same arguments could be made about Fox as well. Bigotry, ignorance, slander...all of those traits have been, and could be attributed to Fox News.
edit on 31-12-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

yeah i love all the spots about maddow and cooper being gay, everyday.

oh and slandering every dem for being stoooooooopid.

lying about them and putting words in their mouths.

it's a gay-o-time!

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:41 AM
link   

brandiwine14
The hypocrisy is astounding.

Where is Jesse Jackson on this? If this had been someone on Fox making fun of a Democrat or Liberals adopted interracial child the people at MSNBC and friends would be hammering the news outlets for their resignation, firing and an apology, it would be front page for weeks. Since it was one of their own it will quietly be swept under the rug.

Melissa Harris Perry is a parasite, it is hard to believe that she is so well educated. I am constantly floored by the insane asinine things she says and does. All children belong to everyone....tampon earrings. what a nutjub.

Her mom is white and she considers herself black only. Shameful woman, how she was able to get a job of that caliber amazes me.

edit on 31-12-2013 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

yup, shows you where they are coming from and they have people eating it all up!

it's nuts.

at least the view had hasselbeck. these morons bring no one from the opposite side to the shows.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Benevolent Heretic
MSNBC Host Apologizes to Romney "Without Reservation"

...Which I definitely think she owed to the family and her listeners. I was shocked to hear about this and I'm glad she apologized.

I am sorry. Without reservation or qualification. I apologize to the Romney family.
I work by guiding principle that those who offend do not have the right to tell those they hurt that they r wrong for hurting.
I apologize to all families built on loving transracial adoptions who feel I degraded their lives or choices.

I am happy she stood up.

I'm just wondering how many of you would require Phil Robertson to be a man and apologize for the awful things he said about gay people and black people... Talk about hypocrisy! LOL
edit on 1/2/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

all too common, now a day.

say or tweet crap and get some mileage from it, then apologize for it.
hey, maybe from both sides.

it's getting stupid.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:56 AM
link   

jacktorrance
Seriously? This video is what has people so up in arms?

I must be on a different wavelength entirely, because I don't see this as racist or baby bullying.

Don't misunderstand, I really, truly couldn't care any less about MSNBC, and I had never heard of MHP before this controversy, but I find it amusing that when she and a panel of comedians make a few comments they get immediate backlash, called 'racist', 'racebaiters' and people requesting her job on the line, but so many rush to Phil Robertson's defense because it's his first amendment right to say intolerant things.

Even IF she had said the most racist, ignorant, inflammatory, child hating thing imaginable, shouldn't she too, be protected by "freedom of speech"? Shouldn't all of you be rushing to her defense to say such things? What's the difference?
edit on 2-1-2014 by jacktorrance because: (no reason given)

imagine if sarah palin said something like that.
what would happen?

lol!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join