It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dolphins 'deliberately get high' on puffer fish nerve toxins

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
From the Times of India:

In extraordinary scenes filmed for a new documentary, young dolphins were seen carefully manipulating a certain kind of puffer fish which, if provoked, releases a nerve toxin.

Though large doses of the toxin can be deadly, in small amounts it is known to produce a narcotic effect, and the dolphins appeared to have worked out how to make the fish release just the right amount.

Carefully chewing on the puffer and passing it between one another, the marine mammals then enter what seems to be a trance-like state.

Dolphins 'deliberately get high' on puffer fish nerve toxins

Please keep to the topic on this thread: Dolphins self-medicating, and sharing their medication, which consists of puffer fish nerve toxins. And do not, unless you want to be dead, try that. It is a dolphin high, not a human high.

This was filmed by documentary producer John Downer (an apt ironic name) for a show on BBC One entitled "Dolphins: Spy in the Pod".

Puffer fish are deadly to humans, but it looks like the dolphins know exactly the right amount of time and pressure to chew the fish, and when they have enough they pass it over to the next dolphin. They then go into a "trance like state", which apparantly they sought to attain, and float up to stand upright in the water just below the surface to stare at their own reflections. Or whatever it is they see there.

When I told a friend about this "he said "What do they do, float around and listen to whale's sing?"

edit on 30-12-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Not just humans who manipulate natural substances to make them feel good then?

Maybe the Governments of the world will outlaw this and put the Dolphins into rehab in order to show them the error of their ways?

Or maybe they'll introduce tobacco and alcohol to the Dolphins in order to get the big fat taxes off them?

Then again, they may just start taxing the puffer fish toxins? I wouldn't put it past them.

P.S already posted.
edit on 30/12/13 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

No, dolphins cannot pay taxes. Please don't be funny on this thead, which is serious and is about puffer fish and dolphin behavior. In the spirit of not being funny,

A dolphin, Klia (pronounced Klia) was with his good friend, Je (pronounced Jeeeeeeeeee) when they came across

Which Klia grabbed and slowly chewed on as Je patiently waited. After a certain interval Je said "Don't bogart that puffer fish, my friend, pass it over to Jeeeeeeeeeeee".

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

It's already posted? I checked new stories and I didn't see it. Apologies to an OP somewhere.

Here is the ongoing thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Not surprising in the least seeing how they each apparently have there own unique names and can be remembered by other dolphins and possibly whales for a lifetime.

That said, the OP should be clear that not ALL dolphins engage in this type of behavior. This is only isolated to the riffraff.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Ha! The things we learn that are just floating beneath the surface! So that's where the expression 'I just want a puff' comes from! The more we peer into the interaction of other species with their environment, the more discoveries we make that humans can relate to. So I wonder if dolphin parents have an equivalent phrase for 'Just say no.'

edit on 30-12-2013 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Okay in the spirit of being all sensible and mature, I'm not totally surprised that this happens. Let's be honest, some natural substances make you feel good, but most are addictive. Those that aren't limit ambition and eventually effect your daily life as a result.

Yet It appears juvenile Dolphins are experimenting just the same. Maybe the Simpsons episode where the Dolphins take over the world will come true, then again, maybe not.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

PhoenixOD

Im not that surprised really , it would be impossible for them to roll a joint without getting the papers wet.

We on this thread don't know what you are talking about. This is about the puffer fish neurotoxin and how it interacts with the brain and nervous system chemistry of dolphins, who are known as very smart creatures indeed.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Cobaltic1978

Okay in the spirit of being all sensible and mature, I'm not totally surprised that this happens. Let's be honest, some natural substances make you feel good, but most are addictive. Those that aren't limit ambition and eventually effect your daily life as a result.

Yet It appears juvenile Dolphins are experimenting just the same. Maybe the Simpsons episode where the Dolphins take over the world will come true, then again, maybe not.

I'd be surprised if only juvenile dolphins did this, it would be counter-intuitive that dolphins who really liked it would stop at a certain point unless.....the brain receptors which process the puffer fish venom change as the dolphins age. More experimentation should be done to ascertain at what age the dolphins lose interest in staring at their own reflections in the water, or whatever it is they do and/or experience as they "trance out".

There is no reason some poor captive prisoner-of-tour imprisoned young dolphins can't be hooked up to a very long-wired EKG machine to see where their brain waves float to when they float during the puffer fish fix.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

I'd be surprised if only juvenile dolphins did this, it would be counter-intuitive that dolphins who really liked it would stop at a certain point unless.....the brain receptors which process the puffer fish venom change as the dolphins age. More experimentation should be done to ascertain at what age the dolphins lose interest in staring at their own reflections in the water, or whatever it is they do.

I agree, these were juvenile Dolphins though, so it appears they are just experimenting. But, without further research, we will never know. How they have learnt this and how long they keep doing this for will surely be the next step for researchers.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Cobaltic1978

I'd be surprised if only juvenile dolphins did this, it would be counter-intuitive that dolphins who really liked it would stop at a certain point unless.....the brain receptors which process the puffer fish venom change as the dolphins age. More experimentation should be done to ascertain at what age the dolphins lose interest in staring at their own reflections in the water, or whatever it is they do.

I agree, these were juvenile Dolphins though, so it appears they are just experimenting. But, without further research, we will never know. How they have learnt this and how long they keep doing this for will surely be the next step for researchers.

An entire new field of oceanic research has now opened, and several research teams from major universities and oceanic institutes should organize and write up proposals to further investigate this natural phenomena which, as far as we know, dates back as much as ten million years, when dolphins appeared, according to their Wikipedia page:

en.wikipedia.org...

And if dolphins do this with puffer fish, wouldn't whales have either started or picked up the habit?

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
It appears that nature provides many medical ways to naturally support the many species of EA*RTH. These ways could be learned from past associations of/with other Sea Creatures & activities of the dolphin pods or their ascendants. Ways that have collectively been passed down as they teach each other outside the human eye of what to and not to eat within the seas what certain things do when interacting with etc..

It could be that some are associating from a human perspective, from an exterior observing point of the dolphins how these neurotoxins would interact with the dolphins, but how these neurotoxins interact with a human as opposed to the Dolphin pod may be totally different from the internal perspectives of the dolphins.

To 1 it would require direct understood communications with the dolphins to know what their intents are for interacting with the puffer fish in this observed activity. The puffer fish also associated with the zombie formula when processed and used on humans in some island areas by w/ doctors to subdue others.

NAMASTE*******

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

I don't suppose SeaWorld and our other aquatic prisons could throw dozens of puffer fish into their dolphin's water to see if the dolphins would a) notice the pufferfish, b) grab the puffer fish in their mouths and chew, and c) pass the puffer fish over to other dolphins. If their dolphins do sample the pufferfish neurotoxin, they could then put them through the hoops (literally), make them jump up and over and in-between manmade obstacles, leap for their dinner, and perform all the other tricks the dolphins have learned just so they can get a few fish to eat, in order to test their reflexes when on the puffer-fish compared to when they are cold-sober and just working for the man. SeaWorld can then team-up with the U.S. Navy and pipe-in U.S. Naval Research ultra-loud sonar to see if the self-medicated dolphins react differently than the dolphins who are tortured in "the wild".

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Aleister
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

SeaWorld can then team-up with the U.S. Navy and pipe-in U.S. Naval Research ultra-loud sonar to see if the self-medicated dolphins react differently than the dolphins who are tortured in "the wild".

Some data can be obtained from that experiment the exterior data.
But from within what the dolphins are thinking would still remain a mystery... It would be interesting to LEARN what the sea life is doing to deal with the radioactive/oil/chemical sea waters also to add. Interesting points Aleister.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I love dolphins they certainly know how to have a good time!

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Now we know why they love surfing.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Cool. But I'm wondering why they find it necessary to self-medicate. ...It's a filthy ocean out there and full of nasty stuff.

Dolphins Suffering From Lung Disease Due to Gulf Oil Spill, Study Says

Study Finds Strong Connection Between Deepwater Horizon Spill and Dolphin Deaths

Lethal Sounds: The use of military sonar poses a deadly threat to whales and other marine mammals

Emerging Diseases in Marine Mammals: from Dolphins to Manatees

Exposures to viruses, pollutants may lead to diseases, sometimes involving immune dysfunctions, among marine mammals

[Sorry to spoil the fun. fyi - I think the same forces and dynamic affect human behaviour too, and in the same way.]

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Attention Folks...

Although this is a legitimate news story, the jokes about using drugs and anything non related to the exact topic at hand, is most likely against the T&C.

I think it's funny too, but let's keep the T&C in mind when discussing this information please.

edit on 12/30/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Ah, look. It is not the pufferfish itself which is the home-source of the neurotoxin which the dolphins seek, but the symbiotic species of bacteria which reside inside the pufferfish.

Wikipedia page on tetrodotoxin:

en.wikipedia.org...

Although tetrodotoxin was discovered in these fish and found in several other animals (e.g., blue-ringed octopus, rough-skinned newt, and Naticidae) it is actually produced by certain symbiotic bacteria, such as Pseudoalteromonas tetraodonis, certain species of Pseudomonas and Vibrio, as well as some others that reside within these animals.

Tetrodotoxin blocks action potentials in nerves by binding to the voltage-gated, fast sodium channels in nerve cell membranes, essentially preventing any affected nerve cells from firing by blocking the channels used in the process.

So, knowing what bacterial growth produces the effect, tetrodotoxin can be cultivated for the captive dolphins once it is ascertained how much of a dosage free members of their species consume, adjusted downward for loss of muscle mass due to their incarceration. In "the wild" dolphins seem to instinctively sense when they've had enough tetrodotoxin for their needs (it may be quick acting enough that they know when to quit).

A savvy animal rights attorney could plead the case that the world's captive dolphin population should be offered tetrodotoxin-laced dead fish so they can obtain what to them seems like a natural need for their species.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join