It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Float tanks, they are amazing!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by BDBinc

No you don't become unconscious in a sensory deprivation tank,your perception is of the sensations created by the tank not a loss of perception, and It cannot bring you closer to death.

Yes. Less to see. Less to hear. Less to smell. Less to feel. Less to perceive.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Having watched Altered States waaaay back,,,I'd always wanted to try one.
I was really lucky that a really good girlfriend of mine who had been on a week long visit bought me a gift voucher for a flotation experience here in the UK.
It was magical, splendiferous, fabulous, amazing.....well you get the gist!

I'm a masseuse by 'trade', and I have to tell you for at least 3 days after the experience every muscle in my body was in a completely relaxed state. I felt as though I was walking 2 foot above the ground.....basically an after effect of disassociation from reality....really cool. Nothing bothered me. I saw things in a different light, nothing fazed me....no massage gives you that lasting feeling!

Unfortunately I have moved away from that area, and there are non close to me. Because I would jump at the chance of going again. The first time, you don't know what to expect, so you force yourself to be more 'conscious' of what is going on. Next time I'll know what to expect.....so don't expect me back here for at least a fortnight!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

Thanks for the great feedback of your experience, it's funny cause I'm a massage therapist as well and am totally in agreement with you on the difference between what the float tank does for you vs a massage. I would actually like to start a float center one of these days, I daydream of being able to share the float experience with others. I would reach out to vets suffering from ptsd and give them free floats, I would make the cost as cheap as possible to allow people to experience floating without it hurting their wallet. I'm not so much worried about getting rich, I would rather make people feel better about life. Someday!

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
i take really (really) long baths in the dark with a fan running for background noise.

this has always been the source-point for my best thoughts and ideas, which i can then turn into practical benefit to me in the real world.

almost every day. two or three hours first thing in the day.

the typical response from other people is "what a waste of time and resources", resources taking the form of heated water. but it is the exact opposite. it makes the rest of my day so much more effective when i have taken the time to introspect and visualize and receive spontaneous inspiration while in the water.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

Nice, taking long baths definitely can set the tone for the day. Great thing about the float tank is, it's alway's ready to go, you could stay in it all day and your skin would not get wrinkly because the water is so dense from the salt it doesn't act like a normal liquid on your skin and you can fall asleep in the tank and not worry about drowning.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Came here to say a Altered States. Beat to the punch.

I could never do a sensory deprivation tank. I would imagine snakes or sharks and utterly lose my sh*t. Probably tear that tank a new one trying to get out.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jaws1975

I've been thinking about trying this. Mainly for physical therapy reasons though. But I see all sorts of contradictory statements out there regarding this. Can you help me out here? Is it good for back pain as well? Or is it just a mental thing?

They're pretty pricey here where I live.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by RadarOReilly

Ok nobody is linking to the movie...

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   

jaws1975
reply to post by angelchemuel

Thanks for the great feedback of your experience, it's funny cause I'm a massage therapist as well and am totally in agreement with you on the difference between what the float tank does for you vs a massage. I would actually like to start a float center one of these days, I daydream of being able to share the float experience with others. I would reach out to vets suffering from ptsd and give them free floats, I would make the cost as cheap as possible to allow people to experience floating without it hurting their wallet. I'm not so much worried about getting rich, I would rather make people feel better about life. Someday!

I wouldn't be putting ptsd clients in a tank......far too much in one go. I would maybe have some soothing music and a little dim light on for the first few treatments to 'acclimatise' them so to speak.

As to the Altered States film. Although brilliant in bringing sensory deprivation to the fore, what people are forgetting is that in the film William Hurt is using this tank on a daily if not more basis. Add to that and he starts experimenting with anahushca (wrong spelling I know!) whilst being in the tank. What happens to his molecular structure is not beyond the realms of possibility may be on paper.....lets face it, as far as anyone out here knows governments etc haven't tried the 'experiment' out....what happens to him in the film is almost impossible to happen to us good folks. You also have to remember he was going at this from a purely scientific perspective and pushing the boundaries. As with many things in life, it is your own individual mindset that contributes to the outcome.
So if you want to try these tanks out for physical benefits....go for it! If you want to go for it for deeper meditations.....go for it! However, on the mental/mind side......just be aware that it can open doors to the infinite of your mind, hence the reason I would not be putting a ptsd client in one, without 'breaking them in' and putting some protocols in place first.

I have a very strong belief that these tanks, with the correct protocols in place, could be invaluable to people who have mental traumas etc. But that's the Clinical therapist in me, my other side sees the profound healing these tanks could have.

To sum up.....50% William Hurt and the other 50% 'spiritual' and magical.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   

I've had an interest in doing one if the chance arose, but I admit I haven't sought them out. Maybe your thread will put some of my attention back on this, so thank you for that and for educating ATS about this wonderful consciousness tool.

And what, everyone's mentioning Altered States and forgot about the Lisa and Homer Simpson episode?

karmajello.com...

edit on 31-12-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-12-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
"I told the witch doctor, there's tightness in my chest, bum, bum, bum ..."

vimeo.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
The Powerful Joe Rogan supports floats tanks...so should you!! Listen to some youtube clips of him talking about them...pretty crazy stuff.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Great topic. I'd like to try it out myself to experience what it's like to be in my mind completely.

Ive heard or read stories of people doing this while on mind altering drugs. That is just crazy.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
When I win the lottery, I want to have one of these put into whatever house I'm living in. The only thing is that I would like to find a way to install a timer (or buy a model that has one), because I already know that I'd be spending a lot of time in there - and it's better to have something wake me up rather than leave me guessing.

I've heard that a deprivation chamber does wonders for working with astral projection, as you don't need to concentrate on the body being relaxed. The only part you have to concentrate on is where you want to go.

-fossilera

PS: I wouldn't be opposed to someone creating a DIY or an economy version, so if anyone does, please send me the details

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

angelchemuel

As to the Altered States film. Although brilliant in bringing sensory deprivation to the fore, what people are forgetting is that in the film William Hurt is using this tank on a daily if not more basis. Add to that and he starts experimenting with anahushca (wrong spelling I know!) whilst being in the tank.

* Under no circumstances should anyone use any mind altering substance while they are in a float-tank.

Ayahuasca is a substance used and administered in spiritual rituals, in areas of Central and South America, by experienced Shamans and elders, and they will always have what is called "spotters" to watch anyone that has ingested Ayahuasca, until the experience is over.

I think anyone that wishes to try a flotation will quickly find out that the tank alone will suffice.

Peace,

RT

edit on 31-12-2013 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

Absolutely. I wasn't advocating the use of it...thank you for the correct spelling....I was just pointing out the 'push the envelope' aspect of the film.
I believe too that the 'Tank' is enough, and you can use it to huge profound experiences.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   

are these not called 'sensory deprivation chambers'?

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

angelchemuel
reply to post by Realtruth

Absolutely. I wasn't advocating the use of it...thank you for the correct spelling....I was just pointing out the 'push the envelope' aspect of the film.
I believe too that the 'Tank' is enough, and you can use it to huge profound experiences.
Rainbows
Jane

No I know you weren't, but I was re-enforcing this for a reason I would rather not go into.

It is a deadly match for sure.

Happy new year to you Jane.

RT

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Aphorism

The kingdom of heaven lies within.
And another good way to connect to the source is to meditate,for me it means going within.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I've done a few sessions in a float tanks. For me it was like getting 8 hours of sleep in 1 hour.
The big thing is making sure the tank is in a nice quite building. You will still hear stuff from outside.
Also I think the water should be 98F degrees, or body temp. So it may feel a bit cold when you first get in. You get used to it though.
Do a Search for DIY Float tanks. There are several plans out there.
Really it's just a big heated bathtub in a box. Meaning big enough so you can't touch the walls when laying down. The hard part is getting enough Salt in the water to suspend you.
Also you need a good floor, 3000+ pounds of salt water is not something you want on the second floor of a wood house.

<< 1    3 >>

join