It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Puff, Puff, Pass: Teen Dolphins Are Caught Getting High On Puffer Fish

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I'm tired of teenagers these days.... , they have all these opportunities in world and all do is get together, sit around and try to catch a buzz . They could be out there helping their families, trying to be leaders in the community and trying to be better overall. But nope they would rather sit around and puff all day. I hope the some one does something. I'm say we throw the book at these hooligans and let them deal with the DEA (dolphin enforcement agency)

Hey guys I found an interesting article about a group of teen dolphins being observed for a documentary. The dolphins don't know they are being watched , so we catch them in their natural environment. One of the things that were observed was what researchers believe to be is drug use by the youths.
They pass along a deadly puffer fish between themselves chewing on it lightly to release little amounts of the neurotoxins . After they enter an almost trance like state and become fascinated by their surroundings particularly their reflections.

Here is the article www.sunnyskyz.com...

I believe dolphins to be our closest intellectual relatives on this planet. I know some will disagree and say this animal or that, it is just my opinion. I dont believe that I need to highlight all their attributes in this thread but I thought it would be nice to add one to their credit. These creatures like to experience reality in different states. Its actual more natural than you may know here is another article written about this animal behavior
www.takepart.com... .

Though some here might enjoy this tidbit of info that was put out today. I found it interesting.
Any thoughts ATS?
How about a few dolphins under the influence jokes?

edit on 30-12-2013 by CitizenJack because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-12-2013 by CitizenJack because: typos : /

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I'll bite. So Flipper is flipped out, eh?
Must be the Cetacean generation, always getting in to trouble.
This is not novel behavior in animals - bears and other mammals will imbibe on overripe fruit and get "drunk" from it.
Too bad they won't be making a Family Guy episode using puffer fish instead of toads.

Eta - this would be the same fish used in Japanese cuisine known as "Fugu", would it not?

There is no connection to HR Puffenstuff is it?
edit on 30-12-2013 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Wow great find!

Thanks for posting this, it is interesting how many animals like to get 'high'.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I wonder if the dolphin's names are Eric, Kelso, Hyde and Fez.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Well I find that fascinating! Thanks for putting it up!

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by CitizenJack

I know that plenty of animals look for a "buzz", but what is so interesting to me on this one is that it is clearly a social activity as well. I wonder if this is confined to one group (culture) of dolphins, and if older animals do it as well but simply haven't been observed yet.

Really cool, and thanks for posting it.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Asktheanimals
I'll bite. So Flipper is flipped out, eh?
This is not novel behavior in animals - bears and other mammals will imbibe on overripe fruit and get "drunk" from it.
Too bad they won't be making a Family Guy episode using puffer fish instead of toads.

Eta - this would be the same fish used in Japanese cuisine known as "Fugu", would it not?
edit on 30-12-2013 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

Nice one , I didnt even think about a flipper reference

Yes this is the same fished used I believe.

Junkheap
I wonder if the dolphin's names are Eric, Kelso, Hyde and Fez.

Pop culture refrence nice lol !

You guys are funny I hope they keep coming.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

When do you think the U.S gov't is going to start arresting those dolphins for using narcotics? I hear they put a new aquarium in guantanimo....

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

redhorse

I know that plenty of animals look for a "buzz", but what is so interesting to me on this one is that it is clearly a social activity as well. I wonder if this is confined to one group (culture) of dolphins, and if older animals do it as well but simply haven't been observed yet.

Really cool, and thanks for posting it.

Well this is a recently observed phenomena so I would assume that many different dolphins from all swims of life do... On a more serious note I do find it extremely interesting that it is a social activity as well and I would assume that their "drug" culture would mirror ours. So its a learned behavior and it was probably an older dolphins showing a group of younger dolphins how to do this.

Similar to the older brother and his friends scenario in our culture were people are usually exposed via social interactions from groups on how to catch a "buzz".

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Teenage kids will be swimming with the dolphins and asking them for some of that puff stuff they get high on. Pretty soon the Feds will be busting all sorts of dolphins for trading puff stuff for gold fish. I could just imagine the cost of running a dolphin prison.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
i'm very sorry for the following,,,

thier,,,,

a,,,

I-POD..

LOLOLOL...

HEY,, who said they,, don't have them,, hidden away,,,,

p.s Commercial Gold for I-pod,, or,,, the Dolphins have,,, asthma,,,,,its a puffer,,,, fish,,,

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Great. It starts with the puffer fish, but what next? I'm sure it is a "gateway" drug! Pretty soon they are going to be using the equivalent of ocean "meth".
Stop the madness!!!!!

Anyway, it is an interesting story, and it makes me wonder about the older dolphins, because you would think that they have to learn about this somewhere right? I guess unless one of them tried to eat the puffer, then noticed the side effect.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Asktheanimals
I'll bite.So Flipper is flipped out, eh?

edit on 30-12-2013 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

Don't forget about the reindeer who eat Aminata Muscaria, and the fact that one of the effects are the feeling of flying. Many believe this is part of the Santa, flying reindeer myth.link
edit on 30-12-2013 by jaws1975 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Maybe that why they are always getting washed ashore...OD'd on Sea Skag.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Just wait till you see their first splash mob.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Soloprotocol

Hmmm.... thats an interesting proposal actually.

So maybe before we release a dolphin thats been washed ashore we do a required drug testing. If they fail they have to go to mandatory rehab followed by six weeks of work release at sea world to cover the expenses.
Then we can use the rehabilitated dolphins to start a scare them straight program and become mentors for at risk youth.
Have them explain all the trials and tribulations of a life consumed by "puffer".

But seriously it is an interesting idea.
edit on 30-12-2013 by CitizenJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

I made the mistake of opening another thread on this, my apologies for not searching more than in the new story bin, where I missed your thread [edit: just looked, I must have got fixated on the one above yours and didn't read the entire name of the thread. I linked that thread here, and promise to bump yours several times once it deflates, as all threads do as the nature of the beast.

What I said there is when I told a friend about this he asked "What do they do, float around and listen to whale's sing?"
edit on 30-12-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-12-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

No problem man, its all good. Its a very serious topic ( as your thread states ) and needs to be discussed.

Well lets see they probably listen to whales sing, discuss life and munch on some fish... Menaces to society, the whole lot of them.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Don't forget the rape caves.

All doped up, cruising for victims.

I wonder if there isn't some type of seaweed that is the gateway drug.
edit on 30-12-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

[EDIT
]Well thats very courteous of you, but Im not too concerned about a deflated thread. And yours is in breaking news so no conflict as far as I'm concerned. As you said tis the nature of the beast. Especially since I didn't use hype/trigger words like Phil robertson, Ison , Obamacare , NSA , China , Evolution , Fukushima .

Although that would get me alot of stars and flags hmmmm.... Off i go to write a new thread

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join