It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100 year-old negatives were found frozen in Antarctic ice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
This caught my eye and thought some might like to take a look.

Photographs left a century ago in Captain Scott's last expedition base at Cape Evans have been discovered and conserved by New Zealand's Antarctic Heritage Trust.

Discovered by a team of Antarctic conservators, the treasure trove contained 22 unprocessed cellulose nitrate negatives. They're believed to have been snapped by the Ross Sea Party way back in 1915, while they attempted to set up supply depots on the New Zealand side of Antarctica.

The newly discovered negatives were processed and restored in Wellington, New Zealand. Although many of the resulting images are damaged, the Antarctic Heritage Trust has been able to recognise some of the landmarks, in particular around McMurdo Sound.

The negatives were discovered in a corner of a supply depot, originally built by Robert Falcon Scott for a doomed expedition to the South Pole in 1910-1913.

Alexander Stevens on Aurora deck

Here's a link for the rest...too many to post
www.nzaht.org...

Media release:
www.nzaht.org...

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I watched a documentary about that expedition when they got stranded in the ice. They showed boxes of glass negatives.
I believe they tried to leave on foot or sled dogs and I think they were breaking many of them for some reason.
I think they took a few with them and unfamiliar with what became of them all.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Nice find. Isn't that interesting?

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Thanks for those.

Some nice photo's. Shame about their expedition.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Yeah, I thought it quite unique!

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

A long time ago, I think in school, I read about their expedition but I had forgotten all about it til I found this article!

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

What an ominous mission and pictures. Anyone see Solo with Andrew McAuley? Similar intensity, similar ending. Pretty epic story though, you should really watch it alone.

vimeo.com...

top topics

join