It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2014

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Another one but smaller this time and here

M 3.8
11km E of Villa Park, California
2014-01-15 23:40:06 UTC-08:008.5 km

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamfox1

Came here because all my friends on Facebook from so. Cal. just posted that they felt one!
Guess that was it.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamfox1

Bah, you beat me to it, I was coming in to post the same.

Hopefully this is all there is for the area in terms of magnitude, the area doesn't need a bigger one.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Theres this one too in the Alaska area

5km WNW of Amatignak Island, Alaska
2014-01-15 23:33:12 UTC-08:0040.0 km

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

I hope that's it for this evening ant there's no surprise later this morning.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

It be active

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I most sincerely hope that we are not in for something big. I just came across this in the NCGT newsletter v1 no3

The variations of the earthquake depth distribution since 2000, Pavel KALENDA and Libor NEUMANN

We can observe atypical low seismicity on the global scale at the Moho depths since June 2013 in comparison with the
seismicity in the last ten years. Such asperity on the Moho discontinuity, stress concentrator, traps the energy and the global
stress field is similar to the status before the Boxing Day EQ in December 2004

Source (PDF file)
Emphasis by me.

This is pretty much what I have been saying, that there is an unusually low level of activity which does indeed mirror the state before the 2004 Banda Aceh Mag 9

I haven't managed to get round to updating my graph of this yet but I will do so later today and post it - in fact having just looked at the article I won't bother as they are similar to and better than mine.

It is of course also possible that this does not mean anything will happen

The closing paragraph states:

he most probable period of occurrence of such a strong event is until the end of 2014, when the influence of the Moon and planets will reach its maximum (tidal potential reaches its maximum in 18.6 - years, 4.5 - years and annual cycles). The decreasing of solar activity, which will increase volcanic and seismic activities, helps such development.

I am definitely at odds with them about that last part as I believe exactly the opposite and the data appears to bear me out. however bear in mind that the IEVPC are predicting a major Philippines quake before or at the end of 2014.

Curious also that I was discussing my own findings about this with Dr Choi of the NCGT newsletter some months ago. Mmm.......

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

My, that's a lot to read. If I get time I'd like to take a good look at this journal. But I get the gist of it. And, I'm already thinking it's been kinda quiet overall. I think we remember how quiet it was just before those double 8's off of Indonesia in April 2012. Also, there was a global uptick for the next few weeks. We can argue about how great the increase was, I agree with you that it was not tenfold? as stated in one paper. Regardless, and then simplified, it was quiet, and then it was noisy.

I've been watching the moon and Jupiter. I have been wondering about whether something might happen due to gravitational forces, but I really don't think it would have much influence. If anything, maybe things are locked up. Due to the orbits of our big friends. The moon, Jupiter and the Sun. We just past the solar max.

I would dismiss all of my thinking, except the fact that the volcanoes are behaving themselves at the moment. Yes, it's nearly impossible to monitor them effectively. -cameras full of clouds and many with few monitors- I know there's a few currently erupting. Even Popo is steaming a little. But for the most part, it's not exciting at the moment. Unlike last month with Etna and others. Even the Volcano Discovery page seems bored. They haven't updated in the last two days. I think.

I'm getting the same spidey tingle I got back in March/April of 2012 when it was so boring. I get this way because to me, boredom is torture. So when it's quiet, I remember the pain.

No, I'm not achy now. It's kinda like a nagging nerve. An itch. Anxiety.

Maybe, when the Sun relaxes her grip. And, (wasn't Jupiter at it's closest point to earth recently? yes I think- yup- Jan 5. earthsky.org...
) as Jupiter moves away, the gas giant will also ebb. The moon, my moon, well it's far away. The micro moon. It was tiny last night. I thought it was usually small, and didn't figure it out until I read something about the micro moon in the news. So, it rotation it out at the furthest end. With the sun being at its closest point. A tug of war. Maybe. With Jupiter tugging in another direction. Not tug of war. It's like crack the whip when you fling around your friends.

Heck, that kinda makes sense. I was discounting the moon and Jupiter, but now I've convinced myself. I think what's edging me toward thinking they'll be a big event soon is, the volcanoes. Simplified. They were noisy, and now they are not so much. ( I just want to check apogee perigee for the moon in April 2012.)
en.wikipedia.org...

I think a big one, maybe near an 8, within 7 days.

Oh, I was wrong about the Volcano Discovery news, they've changed their site. Ug. I hate change.

Sinabung is erupting.

www.volcanodiscovery.com...

edit on 16-1-2014 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
What do you all make of the ABC7 webcam (near downtown Los Angeles)?

I think it is showing activity from northern Baja California, MX, but I'm not certain.
I've no idea--maybe a jackhammer in the basement. It isn't normal vehicle traffic.

Give the link a look...I'll try to upload a pic.

edit on 1/16/2014 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

Strange. It must be near to this instrument, there is only very small or no waveforms on nearby seismos.
edit on 1/16/2014 by Olivine because: add a pic

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

finally got a pic of the Arm moving

ohh heads up.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

I'm assuming this is anthropogenic in origin, it starts and stops fairly regularly, and abruptly. Unless a fault is having some oddly timed movement (doubt it) I've been watching it on & off since you posted, it's definitely following a pattern.

My guess is probably something like a jackhammer or digger machinery outside.
edit on 1/16/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Olivine
What do you all make of the ABC7 webcam (near downtown Los Angeles)?

I think it is showing activity from northern Baja California, MX, but I'm not certain.
I've no idea--maybe a jackhammer in the basement. It isn't normal vehicle traffic.

Give the link a look...I'll try to upload a pic.

edit on 1/16/2014 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

Strange. It must be near to this instrument, there is only very small or no waveforms on nearby seismos.
edit on 1/16/2014 by Olivine because: add a pic

A friend of a friend works for ABC News. He called this morning and told my friend ABC is on "high alert for major seismic activity today." It's apparently a big deal to get a call from him, because he is usually very tight-lipped about the security sensitive stories the he's privy to, so this left my friend a bit nervous.
edit on 16-1-2014 by zackgreinke23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

Right now at 1900 UTC it seems to have gone bonkers and is overwriting the previous track.

You can see the previous stuff under the arm.

Here is a better one

edit on 16/1/2014 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
nevermind....
edit on b000000312014-01-16T13:18:26-06:0001America/ChicagoThu, 16 Jan 2014 13:18:26 -0600100000014 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

Didn't really look at the time, but yes that was a significant swarm alright, it even shows on the Global Time Versus Magnitude graph for the 12th UTC

(click image for larger version, opens in new tab/window)
gsaim.wordpress.com...
or were they aftershocks of the event that lurksoften posted ( 1 post above yours)?
M4.5 - 6km NW of The Geysers, California
2014-01-12 20:24:46 UTC
edit on 01u151514 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Yeah, it's going looney tunes at the moment, huh? I'm hoping it's just human noise, what's your take on it?

I really need to get stuff done around the house, but I'm glued to this feed, lol

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Heard from my friend again, who heard back from his friend at ABC News, and GET THIS:

We asked about the live cam on the ABC New site and he said that they took the live cam offline and they're running old footage in it's place. ABC News seems very convinced that something big is happening today and they're doing their best to not let the word get out too quick...

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

zackgreinke23
Heard from my friend again, who heard back from his friend at ABC News, and GET THIS:

We asked about the live cam on the ABC New site and he said that they took the live cam offline and they're running old footage in it's place. ABC News seems very convinced that something big is happening today and they're doing their best to not let the word get out too quick...

I call BS on this claim. If there was a "seismic alert" of any kind with true merit of any degree, it would be public knowledge in the interest of public safety. That, and we have some posters here who'd have heard about it one way or the other through their own seismology connections grapevine.

Either you're trolling, your friend is BSing you, or their friend is BSing you. Pick one.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Or you wait until 11:59 p.m. pacific standard time before you crap all over this dude's message.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Nyiah

zackgreinke23

I call BS on this claim. If there was a "seismic alert" of any kind with true merit of any degree, it would be public knowledge in the interest of public safety. That, and we have some posters here who'd have heard about it one way or the other through their own seismology connections grapevine.

Either you're trolling, your friend is BSing you, or their friend is BSing you. Pick one.

You honestly don't think in the past certain stories have been withheld or delayed to avoid mass panic?

I'm pretty skeptical of this myself, but I'm just relaying information I've heard.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join