It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2014

page: 42
<< 39  40  41    43  44  45 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Wookiep

lonewolf2

steve95988
I cant help but wonder what kind of pressure this is applying on other faults along the pacific rim of fire... here in Cali i am well prepared if that release would decide to come up this way..

Don't say a word !

This response was freakier than the comment it responded to........
edit on 3-4-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

Especially when you add in the poster's Avatar. Very freaky! In fact, scary even, I mean, is this a message or a warning or Oh! Crap!

One of the nicest images I have ever seen.

P

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Is it normal for sections of Alaska to have 20+ or so earthquakes in one day? I was browsing on USGS and I noticed there were 20 or so listed for the past 24 hours, just in one area (Southern Alaska). They're just microquakes, but it still seems like an awful lot of activity. I know Alaska is huge, but these seem centralized. I'm curious what those who know more than I do have to say?

earthquaketrack.com...

edit on 3-4-2014 by pond470 because: added link

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by pond470

Those are pretty normal there.

I keep an eye on Alaska for personal reasons and near Anchorage it is always shaking.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

Thanks! That's good to know
I just looked much further back, and noticed that the recent activity over the last day isn't too out of the ordinary...but 21 in one day is still a bit obnoxious IMO!

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

First brew of the day, so be gentle

I take it this is not on the same fault line. So could it be the land just adjusting itself? In which case it's not an after shock but a possible fore shock or just a straight forward 'settling down' shock? Am I being too pedantic if we consider all of NZ's aftershocks that occurred on different fault lines.....

Not good being confuddled first thing in the morning

Help?

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Magnitude mb 5.6
Region SOUTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA
Date time 2014-04-03 09:30:24.0 UTC
Location 5.35 S ; 102.15 E
Depth 40 km
EMSC

the decription of seismic region:

www.mapsism.com...

bye

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 05:08 AM
link   
In a predictive sense . . . what might the deeper red ones signify off Chile here? Actually, I think the red quakes are under the land side of the Chile coast.

www.iris.edu... m=1&mt=ter&sz=large

Is there a slight intensifying in the sequence toward the South?

Sobering, imho.

edit on 3/4/2014 by BO XIAN because: corrected description

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

Do you have any 'impressions' re the red quakes in my post just above?

I wish I didn't feel more wary of the whole Pacific coast situation.

BTW, you have a PM.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I'm worried about the strong activity migrating north too, BoXian. Hopefully it is still years away, but....

Small mag 4.2 in the Gulf of California.

image from USGS

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I'm am so very glad the Chileans are earthquake people. Because they are so expert at living with the threat, there are no mass casualties. This way, I can watch the action and not feel guilty when I get excited. If you've been out here with us watching, it means you are addicted. Your addicted something about earthquakes. I'll let you decide how you personally like to get your fix. Too often, big a large event, there's too many stories about how and where we went wrong. When all I'm trying to do is watch the squiggly lines and imagine what's happening deep under the earth. Thank you Chile. You peoples rock.

If my vote means anything, I'll check the box that says plate tectonics. Why? Because that's what I seem to be seeing when I watch the patterns of earthquakes. To me it's one big earthy ice floes smashing into other floes- just in super slo-mo. Ever since the first Chilean movements back mid March, there seemed to be a push in the Americas. In South America, the earthquakes moved inland. It was as if you could track the movement of the plate. Even today's big "aftershock" was on the coast. Also, these earthquakes seem so slow and not ready to quit. Tortoise like. It's like a big animal trying to fit in a small den.

So, my point is - I think- that there may be great slab crawling under South America. Further to that theory, the plates can push magma to the surface. Well, in that box we'd have to make a check mark. Because Ubinas is rocking. Just check for yourself and you'll see the ash eruption. The eruption could be coincidental, but I doubt it. The pressure from the Chilean earthquakes is being felt up into Peru. This means the action is not isolated to just the fault itself. Included in this I would add Panama and the newest Baja quake.

If you look at the fault-lines near the coast of Mexico, you'll find gaps. This does not mean there isn't a fault there. It means that geologist have found it yet. Because there haven't been enough earthquakes along it's path to mark out a definitive boundary. There's also a gap at the top of South America. Are these areas overdue for movement?

(wait- two more in El Salvador...)

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Here's a report on Ubinas.
www.volcanodiscovery.com...

I think part of the reason I'm think about the Caribbean is because of the Chilean earthquake of 2010. It came a month and a half after the Haitian earthquake. You couldn't conceive of a starker comparison if you tried real hard. Chile was hit with an 8.8M, and Haiti was hit with a 7 pointer. Chile lost less than 600 people. Haiti? There is no real number. Historians will have to find a compromise. Let's just say it was many time more than 600, and -------

I think this gets me to my last point. Preparedness. The Chileans understand what to do in an earthquake. I would say that Californians aren't as prepared as the Chileans, but at least their news anchors know to dive under the desk. Some of them. When I think about unpreparednesseness. I think about Seattle and Vancouver. Forget about where or when the next big one may occur. My thoughts always seem to be concerning how well someone is ready. If there is a big one in Mexico, yes, there will be casualties and sever damage, but I think they've made some real efforts to fortify their buildings. Some of them. Yes. But, if you look closely, they have some new designs. Although not perfect, at least earthquake threats are near the to of their agenda. In my mind, in some places, earthquakes are a real thing. Like most of us, sometimes things only become clear, and real, to us, after the event, and the consequence. (mud slide Wash., seems to real and seems too preventable. When I looked at the satelite shot, that cliff was obviously unstable- yet- there was development below. And someone clear cut the area- sinkhole...sorry wrong subject- sort- prevention worth so much more than gold...)

Yes, I am very excited because it seems to me that I can track the plate and the magma. There is a big movement. Normally, we'd say that there would be a bunch of aftershocks and things will quiet. This just seems a bit different. Slow and maybe steady? If so. Maybe that's a good thing for Chile. Rather than having one big rip. This will play itself out of a long time and release all that energy in spurts. Unlike Japan and Indonesia. This is a good thing.

edit on 3-4-2014 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

Just remembered Yellowstone had big swarm in Jan 2010.
volcanoes.usgs.gov...

edit on 3-4-2014 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Magnitude mb 5.3
Region FIJI REGION
Date time 2014-04-03 12:56:37.0 UTC
Location 18.03 S ; 178.44 W
Depth 593 km

The seismic region is this :

www.mapsism.com...

bye

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Olivine
I'm worried about the strong activity migrating north too, BoXian. Hopefully it is still years away, but....

Small mag 4.2 in the Gulf of California.

image from USGS

Oh wow... Yesterday, I was thinking if there's a quake near the Gulf of CA, then the NEXT one would be L.A. for sure.. damn.... When I saw the one in Pedregal, Panama I looked northward, and pointed to the map to with my wife, and said "Next one will be around here".

I sure hope L.A nor ANY land has any bad quakes. L.A. would burn down in an 8+ and so would San Fran.
Maybe a Mexicali swarm will begin again. That will show any build up of stresses..

edit on 4/3/2014 by Pharyax because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

pond470
Is it normal for sections of Alaska to have 20+ or so earthquakes in one day? I was browsing on USGS and I noticed there were 20 or so listed for the past 24 hours, just in one area (Southern Alaska). They're just microquakes, but it still seems like an awful lot of activity. I know Alaska is huge, but these seem centralized. I'm curious what those who know more than I do have to say?

earthquaketrack.com...

edit on 3-4-2014 by pond470 because: added link

Alaska always has a lot of minor-moderate earthquakes.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
We could get something big here in LA. Be it today in the afternoon or tomorrow. Malibu had a 3.1 today and the quake cam is still twitching away as i type this. abclocal.go.com...

I see a possible quake ranging from 4.9 to even 5.7. But that's my guess and don't hold me towards it.

Ive been wrong before so just take it as a it could happen but most likely wont.

edit on 7/30/2012 by dreamfox1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/30/2012 by dreamfox1 because: I dont think 6.7 thats a big stretch.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Does anyone know why the strange constant movement here abclocal.go.com...

The needle has been doing this most of the day. I don't recall ever seeing it like this.

Thanks!

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by opal13

I'm looking at some what I think to be some serious squiggles.

Are they serious?

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I have no idea. You can see the quakes, but the needle has just been quivering for what would be hours if the roll is set up at one revolution per 30 minutes.

Harmonic tremors?

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by opal13

Harmonic tremors are before a volcanic eruption...generally...never heard of them pre-empting an EQ....I could be wrong.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

Both I suppose. But it looks strange. I haven't seen the quake cam do that before.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
There seems to be an awful lot of 'noise' on the ABC7 quake cam. I admit that I know nothing about deciphering what I see, but I haven't seen this kind of steady noise in the couple of months I've been keeping an eye on it.
I wish one of our more knowledgeable people would chime in!

top topics

<< 39  40  41    43  44  45 >>

join