It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2014

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

I'm 99% sure it is man made "noise", too. I took a look at a traffic map of the area (Glendale/ North Hollywood area), there was scheduled guard rail construction work just across the freeway from the stations' location. That could be the source, if they were installing new pilings.
We'll know in a few hours when "quitting time" for the day arrives. Or there could be some sort of weird electrical interference.

None of the other nearby seismos are showing anything out of the ordinary, so I don't believe it is seismic.

edit on 1/16/2014 by Olivine because: because I cannot seem to make the most simple of posts with out typos, errant keystrokes and the like

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
ABC livecam from 5 minutes ago!

abclocal.go.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Olivine
reply to post by Nyiah

I'm 99% sure it is man made "noise", too. I took a look at a traffic map of the area (Glendale/ North Hollywood area), there was scheduled guard rail construction work just across the freeway from the stations' location. That could be the source, if they were installing new pilings.
We'll know in a few hours when "quitting time" for the day arrives. Or there could be some sort of weird electrical interference.

None of the other nearby seismos are showing anything out of the ordinary, so I don't believe it is seismic.

edit on 1/16/2014 by Olivine because: because I cannot seem to make the most simple of posts with out typos, errant keystrokes and the like

Well I am assuming they were doing the work yesterday.

I do not know how to get the footage from yesterday to compare the difference from today.

That would easily prove or disprove your theory

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

radpetey
ABC livecam from 5 minutes ago!

abclocal.go.com...

Darn!!! I'm on my ipad so I can't see the link! What was happening????

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I've been watching the ABC live cam seismo and I think it's obviously broken. It's not harmonic tremor. It would appear the needle is getting stuck. Also, someone else mentioned that no other stations are picking it up. I looked at the nearby stations and found nothing. If you watch the needle, it makes a jerking motion. But not like the movement of a quake. Rather, it looks like it's getting hung up on something, and then snapping back into place. This is why it's so messed up and scratchy. There is also a gap which obviously shows that it is malfunctioning.

The first signals may have been from construction. The vibrations may have knock the needle around too much and now it's goofed up.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by j.r.c.b.

It is still broken. It is not a looping older video as far as I can tell, just a broken seismo drum.

Things must be quiet - we managed to fill 2 pages about a seismo that is not working! We never get that much on one that is

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
damn one of my favourite things to watch is not working ????.

my family think that I am stupid because I just have this on my laptop and it just goes around and around...lol.

does anyone else get excited when the bloke comes in to change the paper...

oh jeez...I really do need to get a life.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by bellagirl

I didn't even notice it was moving until I went back a couple of minutes later and the letters had moved around a bit.
When I was a kid I was fascinated by my grandparents mantel clock which had a drum type spinning thingy that went back and forth, ................ similar sort of time waster.
edit on 01000000151514 by muzzy because: one too many "had"s

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I don't know about whose friend told who what but, night before last my little dog (in my profile on left) woke me up when the EQ hit, freaking out, then again last night, same thing freaked out when quake hit. This time (last night) I logged right on usgs and saw the new quake so knew what it was this time. First time (night before last) I didn't know what the hell freaked her out.. The Fontana Quake... sigh.. sleep I miss thee

As a poster above said in LA area we get EQs all the time and she has never done this. NOW at 9:01 pacific she's freaking out again so, let's see if she aquired a new EQ detector skill or something major wierd/big is gonna happen LOL.

Lil

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
i do believe the "All Clear" can be sounded. on this unique "harmonic tremor",,

i believe thats about 10 minutes? of quite,,,(if anyone wants to do the math).

very interesting.

any thoughts?
(other than "its not working"/its a recording".)

i will start,,,
1. possable fault slip/harmonics,, (but the timing,,very incredulous,,ie NorthRidge.)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Morning Puterman. So maybe the plot has begun to thicken in the seismo drum mystery, lol.
Broken/man-made noise/or seismic?

The drum quieted down overnight, which made me more comfortable with the idea that the "noise" was just construction or a malfunction, after all.

But then these 2 small, shallow quakes pop up, just 12 kms (7.5 miles) away, south of Studio City:
Mag 2.6
Mag 1.6

4km W of Universal City, California
2014-01-17 13:26:59 UTC 0.1 km 1.6
4km W of Universal City, California
2014-01-16 19:14:24 UTC 1.7 km

They have already listed a focal mechanism for the larger of the two. (Either it was a N-S oriented, nearly vertical, dextral strike-slip, or it was an E-W oriented, shallow dipping, sinistral slip.
edit on 1/17/2014 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

dextral strike-slip, or it was an E-W oriented, shallow dipping, sinistral slip

Sounds like you are quoting an heraldic blazon!
I still think it was broken although I just looked briefly and it seems OK so maybe a combination of broken and cultural noise.

Any thoughts on that study I mentioned earlier? I note that they said the quakes had stopped of slowed at the MOHO discontinuity between 33 and 43 km deep, but the MOHO is anything from 10 to 60+ km deep, possibly even 70km under Everest, so how can they extract just that narrow band and come to that conclusion. One would have to map it based on the depth at given areas.

I don't think the blanket approach is accurate enough. OK for saying something may be happening but needs a more in depth study.

If you happen to come across a dataset, rather than a map, for MOHO depths I would like to know.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I had only skimmed the article yesterday, but have just looked it over a bit more thoroughly.

The authors of this paper may be on to something, but as you stated, generalizing the depth of the MOHO to 33-43 km is insufficient.
The MOHO averages a shallow 7 km deep source under the oceanic crust, (which constitutes a large percentage of earths surface (approximately 70%). The papers' authors should at least divide their data into continental versus oceanic earthquakes. Dividing by regions would be even more accurate. Naming the MOHO 33-43 km down is over simplified.

Something else that struck me are the values of depth "peaks": 5.3, 11.6, 33-43, & 596 kms. Those seem to coincide with the default depth values used by USGS and others (5 km, 10 km, 33 km, & 600 km). Is it possible the defaults have skewed their conclusions?

It seems to me, that the quantity (or paucity) of earthquakes over the last 6 months of their study may be significant, but I don't see their supposition that it is tied to the MOHO being clear cut.

...still searching for global data for the MOHO.

edit on 1/17/2014 by Olivine because: more spelling errors

edit on 1/17/2014 by Olivine because: source link--short PDF on oceanic lithosphere from UC Berkeley

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
further to post by muzzy

and
post by Olivine

and
post by lurksoften

I counted 19 "foreshocks" (although The Geysers are aways shaking with micros), and 64 aftershocks in the three and three quarter hours to the end of 12th UTC
(click image for interactive map, opens in new tab/window)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Offshore Matata, BOP, NZ playing up again?
6 x shallow M2 quakes in 4 hrs, then another M2 7 hrs later
probably nothing, but has been the center for some monsta long running swarms in the past

(click image for interactive map,
opens in new tab/window)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

PuterMan
reply to post by j.r.c.b.

It is still broken. It is not a looping older video as far as I can tell, just a broken seismo drum.

Things must be quiet - we managed to fill 2 pages about a seismo that is not working! We never get that much on one that is

And now it's down...didn't think these cams went down.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
And this is really odd....looks like it quit right when something big happened based on the stopping point pic.

Is that a really large seismic event that is showing on the drum?

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

Just a stock photo thats all

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   

M5.2 - 21km W of Jaco, Costa Rica
2014-01-17 21:02:41 UTC

Event Time
2014-01-17 21:02:41 UTC
2014-01-17 15:02:41 UTC-06:00 at epicenter
2014-01-17 15:02:41 UTC-06:00 system time

Nearby Cities
21km (13mi) W of Jaco, Costa Rica
37km (23mi) S of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
38km (24mi) S of Chacarita, Costa Rica
43km (27mi) SSW of Esparza, Costa Rica
87km (54mi) WSW of San Jose, Costa Rica

USGS
edit on 17-1-2014 by lurksoften because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I'm glad to see everyone still in an upright position. Just checking to see where our friend of a friend went. Any new secret info, alerts from him, that I missed?

I do remember how long it took me to get used to Mamma Earth's hick ups when I lived in N. Ca. I'll admit the 1989 Loma Prieta quake was a doozy, and was the beginning of my looking for other places to call home.

Des

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join