It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Renaissance - Sight & Sound Live at BBC - 1977

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I'm not sure how many progressive rock, and/or obscure rock fans we have here at ATS. I know there are at least a few. Renaissance is one of my favorites from the past, because their music to me, is not something you listen to, but rather something you experience. Annie Haslam's vocals are, in my opinion, enchanting, and sometimes haunting. I think this concert showcases a band that had great talent, even through the lineup changes they suffered.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Well, now I know what I'll be doing with the rest of my evening. It's expected to see threads on Renaissance on the prog boards, not so much here.

Not that I'm complaining as Annie Haslem has a beautiful voice and the bands music clicks for me. One of my favorite prog bands.

ETA: That was amazing, big time thanks for the show. Interesting to hear them without the orchestra as the Carnegie Hall show is what I was weaned on. Annie, wow, her voice still amazes me all these years later.
edit on 12/30/2013 by TheSpanishArcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Holy cow.... I did not know there would be other Rensaissance fans here on ATS either but I am glad to see that there is at least 1 (actually 2 since I know of another HUGE fan as well here on ATS).

Being a child of the 60's, when I discovered Renaissance in the mid 70's I was just hitting my 'musical stride' and to say that Annie's voice is/was magical is an understatement. All I can say is that from the first time I ever heard her sing I was hooked. I was fortunate enough a couple of years ago to be able to go to a local theater (The Tralf, in Buffalo, NY) to hear them. I was expecting to hear an old progressive rock group trying to relive their past but was elated to find that Annie's voice is still as crystal clear and hauntingly magical as the first time I heard her and the group's music as relavent now as it was then, at least to me. When Annie started to sing Ocean Gypsy (my personal fav) I was so captivated it was not until she had finished that I realized I had tears on my cheeks and goose bumps on my arms.

At any rate, thank you for posting this thread. It's nice to know there are others here that appreciate their particular sound. Here is a link to their offical website: RenaissanceTouring.com. A quick look at the April 2014 cruise has this aging hippy chick wishing I had a pile of disposable income to go with groups like Yes, Tangerine Dream, The Strawbs and Renaissance performing. LOL

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSpanishArcher

Interesting to hear them without the orchestra as the Carnegie Hall show is what I was weaned on. Annie, wow, her voice still amazes me all these years later.

Yes. That's one of the reasons I posted this. It's kind of like Renaissance Unplugged. lol.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by MyMindIsMyOwn

I was fortunate enough a couple of years ago to be able to go to a local theater (The Tralf, in Buffalo, NY) to hear them. I was expecting to hear an old progressive rock group trying to relive their past but was elated to find that Annie's voice is still as crystal clear and hauntingly magical as the first time I heard her and the group's music as relavent now as it was then, at least to me. When Annie started to sing Ocean Gypsy (my personal fav) I was so captivated it was not until she had finished that I realized I had tears on my cheeks and goose bumps on my arms.

Wow. I'm green with envy. Seeing them in person would be a truly memorable event.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Thanks for the post, I think I have that concert on CD somewhere around here.

Definitely one of my favourite bands, though that wasn't always the case -- after my first few listens I decided that Annie's voice was too piercing for me, but then I heard a live version of "Ashes Are Burning" and I realized that I had to think of her voice as an instrument, not just a vocal.

"Song of Scheherazade" ranks up there as one of my favourite songs of all time. I love the conclusion that brings several of the themes together simultaneously (much like "The Healing Colours of Sound" by Spock's Beard, if you have heard that.)

Hurrah for 18+ minutes songs!

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Wow, mention of Renaissance was enough to take me out of my long-time lurking status to actually make my first comment! Renaissance rocks! Never thought I'd hear it mentioned here of all places! Strangely enough I dusted off an Annie Haslam CD, cranked it up and rocked out on Christmas Eve while making a boatload of cookies! At least until my kids came home and pleaded with me to stop! Lol! The only problem is here I am 7 days later and I can't get "Celestine" from continually running thru my head! But hey it's better than that obnoxious "Red, Red Wine" song that tormented me years ago! Anyway thanks for the great vid and Happy Holidays to all!

Aka

edit on 30-12-2013 by Akasha1111 because: no reason

edit on 30-12-2013 by Akasha1111 because: because I spelled it right the first time!

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I would be that other huge fan that MyMindIsMyown spoke of.I have been a fan of Renaissance for a very long time.Almost since they started.I first saw them live in the early 70's at a local theatre that is no longer here.The Century Theatre was torn down years ago.I can still remember Annie walking out on stage in a beautiful long white gown.She had no mic,in those days there were no headset mics.The band was behind the curtian and began to play Ocean Gypsy.She began to sing,and even though my friend and I were in the second last row of the balcony that powerful instrument was clearly audible.They were the warm up band for Strawbs.Another of my favorites.

Crisp, clear, awesome,It was love at first sight.I still listen to them even now,and they are back together. As MMIMO told you already.We went to see them as she said. They were just as I remembered them,Older to be sure, but just as good as I remember them.Annie still has that amazing voice.I wish I could go on that cruise.Those groups are some of my favorites.I have seen all of them live, a couple of them more than once.Yes it's true I am that old.Thanks for posting this,I will be sending the utube link to a couple of my old friends who are still fans,including the guy who was sitting in the balcony with me.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

Here you go, a blast from the past (love that mylar suit that the bassist is wearing, lol.)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

I''ll see your Ocean Gypsy and raise you this.

And for anyone who would like to explore more of their music Renassaince
edit on 12/30/2013 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/30/2013 by lonegurkha because: add

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Well played, lol. As I wrote earlier, that's one of my favourite songs ever, along with "Echoes" from Pink Floyd, "The Healing Colors of Sound" by Spock's Beard, "Supper's Ready" by Genesis, "Ritual: Nous Sommes Du Soleil" by Yes, "This Strange Engine" by Marillion… any theme emerging?

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Thanks for the post, I think I have that concert on CD somewhere around here.

I didn't know there was a cd of that concert. Maybe a dvd too? I'll have to take a look around.

I realized that I had to think of her voice as an instrument, not just a vocal.

Good point. I hadn't thought of it that way.

"The Healing Colours of Sound" by Spock's Beard, if you have heard that.)

Listening to it now. I'm likin it. Not as much like YES as I first thought. Good stuff.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Akasha1111

Wow, mention of Renaissance was enough to take me out of my long-time lurking status to actually make my first comment! Renaissance rocks! Never thought I'd hear it mentioned here of all places! Strangely enough I dusted off an Annie Haslam CD, cranked it up and rocked out on Christmas Eve while making a boatload of cookies! At least until my kids came home and pleaded with me to stop! Lol! The only problem is here I am 7 days later and I can't get "Celestine" from continually running thru my head! But hey it's better than that obnoxious "Red, Red Wine" song that tormented me years ago! Anyway thanks for the great vid and Happy Holidays to all!

Aka

edit on 30-12-2013 by Akasha1111 because: no reason

edit on 30-12-2013 by Akasha1111 because: because I spelled it right the first time!

Glad you chimed in. And glad we have another Prog on the forums. Hope to hear more from you.
edit on 12/30/2013 by Klassified because: oops

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   

adjensen

Well played, lol. As I wrote earlier, that's one of my favourite songs ever, along with "Echoes" from Pink Floyd, "The Healing Colors of Sound" by Spock's Beard, "Supper's Ready" by Genesis, "Ritual: Nous Sommes Du Soleil" by Yes, "This Strange Engine" by Marillion… any theme emerging?

With this post, I can prove to my wife, I am not the only person in the world who listens to bands "nobody" has ever heard of.

ETA: I have been chastised, and forced to qualify the above statement. My wife is quite knowledgeable about music, and has a broad taste range, including some progressive, such as Pink Floyd and others. However, she still accuses me of listening to bands "nobody" has ever heard of. :-)
edit on 12/30/2013 by Klassified because: eta

edit on 12/30/2013 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Gentle Giant is one of my favorites from back in the day,I have seen them 5 times live.

top topics

join