It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth and the moon as seen from Mars!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

CaptainBeno
WOW!

www.wired.com...

the article says nothing about the picture being TAKEN FROM MARS....SNIP
edit on 12/31/2013 by Blaine91555 because: rude remark

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Actually, yes it was.

First, let's look at the original article, written back in 2008:

The HiRISE instrument would make a great backyard telescope for viewing Mars, and we can also use it at Mars to view other planets, such as Jupiter.

This is an image of Earth and the Moon, acquired at 5:20 a.m. MST on 3 October 2007, at a range of 142 million kilometers, which gives the HiRISE image a scale of 142 km/pixel and an Earth diameter of about 90 pixels and a Moon diameter of 24 pixels. The phase angle is 98 degrees, which means that less than half of the disks of the Earth and Moon have direct illumination. We could image Earth/Moon at full disk illumination only when they are on the opposite side of the sun from Mars, but then the range would be much greater and the image would show less detail.

Bold emphasis mine.

Link to the original 2008 article

As you can see, the image is a composite of several images captured by HiRISE while in orbit about Mars.

This isn't the first time HiRISE has done this. A Year earlier, it took images of Jupiter from the orbit of Mars:

The HiRISE camera is the most powerful telescope to have left Earth orbit. As such, it is capable of some interesting astronomical observations.

This image of Jupiter and its major satellites (10 MB) was acquired to calibrate the pointing and color response of the camera. An oversight in planning this unusual observation put the focus mechanism in the wrong location, blurring the image. This does not detract from the calibration objectives, but makes the raw image less esthetic.

Link to the original 2007 article

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

jimmyx
the article says nothing about the picture being TAKEN FROM MARS....what's wrong with you OP, can you read the English language?

Can you?

Earth and Moon from Mars

The HiRISE instrument would make a great backyard telescope for viewing Mars, and we can also use it at Mars to view other planets, such as Jupiter. This is an image of Earth and the Moon, acquired at 5:20 a.m. MST on 3 October 2007, at a range of 142 million kilometers, which gives the HiRISE image a scale of 142 km/pixel and an Earth diameter of about 90 pixels and a Moon diameter of 24 pixels. The phase angle is 98 degrees, which means that less than half of the disks of the Earth and Moon have direct illumination. We could image Earth/Moon at full disk illumination only when they are on the opposite side of the sun from Mars, but then the range would be much greater and the image would show less detail.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Excellent photo!
Can't wait until its humans taking the photos themselves,from the surface of Mars.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

jimmyx
the article says nothing about the picture being TAKEN FROM MARS....what's wrong with you OP, can you read the English language?

The HiRISE camera is on the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO), which went into orbit around Mars in 2006. This image (or to be precise, mosaic of images) was taken in 2007. So when the images that make up this picture were taken, the HiRISE camera on the MRO were in orbit around Mars.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

wildespace

jimmyx

Can you?

Earth and Moon from Mars

The HiRISE instrument would make a great backyard telescope for viewing Mars, and we can also use it at Mars to view other planets, such as Jupiter. This is an image of Earth and the Moon, acquired at 5:20 a.m. MST on 3 October 2007, at a range of 142 million kilometers, which gives the HiRISE image a scale of 142 km/pixel and an Earth diameter of about 90 pixels and a Moon diameter of 24 pixels. The phase angle is 98 degrees, which means that less than half of the disks of the Earth and Moon have direct illumination. We could image Earth/Moon at full disk illumination only when they are on the opposite side of the sun from Mars, but then the range would be much greater and the image would show less detail.

I'll rephrase.....IF....you were in orbit and not on the planet, away from any atmospheric interference, and....IF.....you had one of the most powerful space telescopes......en.wikipedia.org...
....well, ok...

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Soylent Green Is People

jimmyx

The HiRISE camera is on the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO), which went into orbit around Mars in 2006. This image (or to be precise, mosaic of images) was taken in 2007. So when the images that make up this picture were taken, the HiRISE camera on the MRO were in orbit around Mars.

so if the Hubble telelscope took a picture of a galaxy....would you say...."galaxy as seen from earth" ???
edit on 30-12-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
It's a really pretty picture. Thanks!
Too bad about the stars. It seems that in camera shots, they don't show up so well in the presence of lighter objects.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

No point. The galaxy would look the same from any vantage point in the solar system, because it's so far away.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

jimmyx

Soylent Green Is People

jimmyx

so if the Hubble telelscope took a picture of a galaxy....would you say...."galaxy as seen from earth" ???

Yes, one could say that, since being in orbit around the Earth is still within the vicinity of Earth.

HiRISE is in orbit about Mars. It's picture if from the vantage point of being as far away from Earth as Mars was at that point.

You're really trying to argue over something rather moot.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

jimmyx

Soylent Green Is People

jimmyx

OK -- so you think the thread title should read:

"Earth and the moon as seen from Mars Orbit!"

Fair enough, even though it seems a bit pedantic.

I suppose you would have the same issue about those "Pale Blue Dot" images from the Cassini Spacecraft. I would probably just say that the "Pale Blue Dot" is a picture of Earth from Saturn, while you may say that it is an image of the Earth from Saturn's orbit.

edit on 12/30/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

EllaMarina
It's a really pretty picture. Thanks!
Too bad about the stars. It seems that in camera shots, they don't show up so well in the presence of lighter objects.

They said they had to adjust the brightness and make other adjustments, so I bet the image would have included a lot of visual "noise" if they didn't black out out the background. That would not have made for a very pretty picture publication, so I can see why they did it.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Is this a photograph taken from mars or just an artists rendition of how they think it looks?

It doesn't look right. I thought we would lol like astar from Mars, the way Mars looks to us. Earth looks to big.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Thanks to each of you who expanded the original post by pointing out that the photo was taken from Mars ORBIT..not from the surface as the title of this thread indicates. I was racking my brain trying to figure out how a Mars Rover could take a good-quality magnified photo of the Earth!

Thanks again and Happy Safe start to 2014, everyone.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   

carewemust
Thanks to each of you who expanded the original post by pointing out that the photo was taken from Mars ORBIT..not from the surface as the title of this thread indicates. I was racking my brain trying to figure out how a Mars Rover could take a good-quality magnified photo of the Earth!

Thanks again and Happy Safe start to 2014, everyone.

The title didn't say it, but the article said the images were from the HiRISE camera. That camera is on the MRO (Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter).

HiRISE is a high resolution camera with a 0.5 meter telescope designed and operated by the University of Arizona. The high resolution camera with the telescope allows HiRISE to take images of Mars with a resolution of about 1 foot per pixel -- and, I suppose, pictures of the Earth-Moon system.

Link to HiRISE images:
hirise.lpl.arizona.edu...

Information on HiRISE:
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 12/30/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   

violet
Is this a photograph taken from mars or just an artists rendition of how they think it looks?

It doesn't look right. I thought we would lol like astar from Mars, the way Mars looks to us. Earth looks to big.

Yeah, I agree with you... Here is a photo of earth, venus, and jupiter from mars... Just little points of light...

ETA: I have to say, that hires camera is pretty impressive in comparison...
edit on 31-12-2013 by ByteChanger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   

ByteChanger

violet

Yeah, I agree with you... Here is a photo of earth, venus, and jupiter from mars... Just little points of light...

ETA: I have to say, that hires camera is pretty impressive in comparison...
edit on 31-12-2013 by ByteChanger because: (no reason given)

Wow, that's cooler than the OP's photo! (sorry OP)

Now, if it's not too much to ask, can we get a picture of Earth in the foreground and the entire Milky Way in the background? Black the Earth out like they do the Sun if it's too bright and then put the image back in later, but darn it, that's what I want to see. A 360 degree one would be cool showing all the stars towards the center and the lesser amount 'behind' us

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

Agreed..............WAAAAAY BETTER.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Earth, Venus and Jupiter Skyline Seen from Mars: Real or Fake?
www.allmediany.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   

GaryN
Earth, Venus and Jupiter Skyline Seen from Mars: Real or Fake?
www.allmediany.com...

link

not working .. sever maintenance is under way perhaps ?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join