It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Acronyms and laziness, IMCOF!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I am tired of reading posts from people who are too lazy to spell out a series of words. If you want people to know what you are talking about, have a bit of courtesy and spell it out to the rest of us.
I don't mind looking up additional information to get a better idea of what a person is trying to get across, but when I have to look up the meaning of IMDB (Internet movie database), that is a distraction from the information. IMCOF!!! (I mean come on folks)

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by apydomis

But I really don't want to type out Internal Revenue Service.
I really really don't want to type out what ADCOMSUBORDCOMPHIBSPAC stands for!

wikipedia:longest acronym

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
So where is the limit? AT&T? USSR? IBM? P.S.? USA?

edit on 29-12-2013 by dainoyfb because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

apydomis
I am tired of reading posts from people who are too lazy to spell out a series of words. If you want people to know what you are talking about, have a bit of courtesy and spell it out to the rest of us.
I don't mind looking up additional information to get a better idea of what a person is trying to get across, but when I have to look up the meaning of IMDB (Internet movie database), that is a distraction from the information. IMCOF!!! (I mean come on folks)

Right on brother/sister. One of my biggest peeves as well. It's just pure laziness and rudeness. It really doesn't take any time to write out the acronym at least the first time in a post. It's also educates people.

I find it a form of passive/agressive behavior.
edit on 29-12-2013 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   

dainoyfb
So where is the limit? AT&T? USSR? IBM? P.S.? USA?

edit on 29-12-2013 by dainoyfb because: (no reason given)

Don't let the govt have a hand in limiting acronyms....
I can see a Bill passing now, 'Acronyms shall be limited to one letter.'

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
You gotta appreciate the irony here,

Your basically saying youre to lazy to check up on other peoples laziness

LOL

P.s that means "Laugh Out Loud"

edit on 29/12/2013 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by apydomis

OMG, ILY

Ikr, i h8 when ppl do tht kind of stuff on the interwebs. Like, wtff! Ppl need to dtrt on the webz.

BTW, mhoty 4 making this thread. L8RBFF

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
esad u dmf'r ... is a compound acronym I couldn't get through a day without, tyvm.

But figuring out the acronym IS more time consuming for the poor reader, especially if they're relatively clueless to the new-fangled acronyms texting has created... kids these days, hmmmph.
edit on 12/29/2013 by Baddogma because: took out an "n" and put in oodles of meaning

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

butcherguy
Don't let the govt have a hand in limiting acronyms....
I can see a Bill passing now, 'Acronyms shall be limited to one letter.'

The government, which started the trend, did it specifically to occlude understanding by the uninitiated.

It makes for insiders and outsiders. It's just another way to divide people.

Are we not here to share information?

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

Yet you do not have to be a government employee to know what both acronyms in my first post stand for.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
There are some great points on both sides, and after posting this, I have learned a few things about my self-
If I were a Kung fu master, I would have found my chi through understanding acronyms. It was actually funny to be showered with acronyms after ranting about them.
I was in the military 10 years ago and acronyms were part of the deal. I don't doubt that every acronym used by Above Top Secret contributors has a valid meaning, but I do doubt that the information being presented is clear to everyone.
What if the true secret to a peaceful society was clear communication, and the post title was:
TP found in CCom.
Ok, what do I do with that besides wipe my nose? I guess if you acronym ppl just can't take an extra step toward clear communication, then the information better be PDC IMHO. (Pretty darn compelling)

edit on 29-12-2013 by apydomis because: Erase for clarity

top topics

join