It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Set for Detroit debut: Ford's aluminum F-150

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Ford is set to debut its newer, lighter Ford F150 which will be fabricated with aluminum instead of steel in an effort to make the vehicle lighter and more fuel efficient. I don't see the conspiracy in this, I just want to hear ATS'sers opinions.

What say you, ATS? Needed change or destruction of an ideology of the American spirit: "As strong as Steel?"

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

This is not really new technology, aluminum has been used in aircraft framework for a long time and with the correct configuration and design can be as strong as steel but will have more mass, the thickness will be increased and the costs. As alum is a good conductor of electricity ground side of the circuits will be better, and with good sealing will not corrode from salt and its effects as steel does. Since the weight on the lower center of gravity will be less, good handeling will be easier to tune and adustments to unsprung weight will take less effort. Some steel bracing will be required in the ladder type frame due to size limits but it looks like the standard arc welder may have an expiration date in the typical repair shop. eventually, most vehicles will be made up of aluminum, carbon fiber, plastics, ceramics, LEDs, fiber optics, polycarbonates, and polimers....all NSA/dot approved for your deathtraps, uh, safety.....

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

MPG will NOT improve at speeds over 40mph.

The weight of the vehicle does NOT MATTER nearly as much as DRAG..

try throwing a wiffle ball, and a real baseball. which will go further?

the heavier one of course! why? weight vs. wind drag.

the gearing and engine RPM play a MUCH larger role in mpg than vehicle weight,

JUST ANOTHER SHEEPLE URBAN LEGEND -- less weight = better mpg.

Plus, as an example. I have an old 1988 modified lifted suburban, heavy duty axles, brakes, etc. and a 4.88 ring and pinion.. weighs 6100 lbs empty on the truck scales. with a 5.7L motor.

It EASILY outweights the newer suburbans with their plastic body parts, interior, etc.. Even though they:
1. weigh less
2. have "improved aerodynamics"
3. not lifted as high as mine
4. newer tech cpmputerized engines, etc..

Mine can smoke them all at ANY speed, and gets 12-14mpg towing a cargo trailer at 60mph.. THAT IS DIESEL territory!

Oh, and the newer suburbans get 8-10 mpg towing the SAME trailer..

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

gear ratios, load and center of gravity....you will require less gear ratios to get the vehicle in motion from a standing start, we spend a lot of time in traffic...agree on aero, but combine the advantages.....

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   

HanzHenry

MPG will NOT improve at speeds over 40mph.

The weight of the vehicle does NOT MATTER nearly as much as DRAG..

try throwing a wiffle ball, and a real baseball. which will go further?

the heavier one of course! why? weight vs. wind drag.

the gearing and engine RPM play a MUCH larger role in mpg than vehicle weight,

JUST ANOTHER SHEEPLE URBAN LEGEND -- less weight = better mpg.

Plus, as an example. I have an old 1988 modified lifted suburban, heavy duty axles, brakes, etc. and a 4.88 ring and pinion.. weighs 6100 lbs empty on the truck scales. with a 5.7L motor.

It EASILY outweights the newer suburbans with their plastic body parts, interior, etc.. Even though they:
1. weigh less
2. have "improved aerodynamics"
3. not lifted as high as mine
4. newer tech cpmputerized engines, etc..

Mine can smoke them all at ANY speed, and gets 12-14mpg towing a cargo trailer at 60mph.. THAT IS DIESEL territory!

Oh, and the newer suburbans get 8-10 mpg towing the SAME trailer..

Well, the heaver ball goes further because it can maintain the initial power it was given longer. It doesn't have a continuous source of power like a truck does. The heavier truck might maintain speed longer after lifting off the gas though, but it will also take more to get going from a stop.

Overall, making a vehicle lighter can't do anything but help when it comes to MPG, although wind resistance from badly designed cars and trucks can easily overcome any mileage gains from weight reduction.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982

gearing dude,

that will determine "what it takes to get going".. not the weight of the vehicle.

simple leverage concepts must be lost with you on this point.

people won't believe me anyway.

I only ran a motor pool of 500(+) vehicles.. where we were directed to check for ANY discrepancies in fuel expenditures.. after the Major found out people were gassing up POV's with the govt. gas cards..

The prime difference is fuel consumption in final drive ratio. not Vehicle weight!!

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by teslahowitzer

Stainless steel would be my preference

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
They will have to make the mounts and joints thicker and brace some parts to keep the strength up, but it will be lighter and really, how many of you can REALLY say you push yours so far that really matters?

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I drive an F250 diesel, I kind of like the fact that it's steel. I feel a bit safer in it and can't imagine driving in something that is as easy to crush as say a Coke can, or beer can. I would have to say no thanks! I feel better in my tank. Unless Ford has something else up their sleeve that makes their aluminum extra tricky and strong, maybe it's some top secret new kind of metal. Who knows?

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I'm not so sure about the safety either. We do have cars with the fiberglass housing and those are usually death traps. Will aluminum be the frame only or will the engine be aluminum also? Aluminum might be ok; it's used on Space shuttles all of the time.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   

queenofsheba
I drive an F250 diesel, I kind of like the fact that it's steel. I feel a bit safer in it and can't imagine driving in something that is as easy to crush as say a Coke can, or beer can. I would have to say no thanks! I feel better in my tank. Unless Ford has something else up their sleeve that makes their aluminum extra tricky and strong, maybe it's some top secret new kind of metal. Who knows?

It's called an almuninum alloy, which has been used in safety-critical vehicles such as aircraft and spacecraft for a few decades.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I'm not so sure about the safety either. We do have cars with the fiberglass housing and those are usually death traps. Will aluminum be the frame only or will the engine be aluminum also? Aluminum might be ok; it's used on Space shuttles all of the time.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   

i still have my Ford Van... a 1965 E-140 with the round headlights (the classic 'woodstock' Van & also seen in late 1960's movies) with the engine access between the 2 forward seats of the driver & the passenger...

i only get 10mpg with that old straight 6... but i no longer think about driving cross-country--- so no problemo

if the modern Ford product wants to cut out the steel... and go with the light-weigh aluminum .cut-out super structure copied from the aeronautical frameworks of structural components --- thats fine by me

i got a AZ titled '65 original 'Econoline' Van... but there ain't no need to reproduce them dinosauer Vans over-&-over... new engineering is a good thing all around
edit on th31138837965029002013 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I don't think I would want to take an aluminum truck through the bush four wheeling. It's bad enough getting paint scratches and dents with a steel truck when going past broken branches on the way to the deer blind out in the middle of nowhere. How about bouncing off a snowbank. I think trucks are too chinsy already. If they want to dump weight, get rid of all that plastic and plushness that weighs a ton. A truck is supposed to be a truck. I could see tossing firewood in an aluminum truck or having a loader dump some gravel in the box. I suppose it is all right for city slickers but not us Yoopers.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
with the rate that china is buying up detroit and the auto buisness around it it would be a wise thing to learn chinese as they are already producing many parts for the big companys already and it is al-u-min-ium not aluminum your welcome
edit on 12/30/2013 by dobbiedabill because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Well the conspiracy angle to this would be that Tesla motors have said that they would like to make a BEV pickup in the near future( 3-5 years?) and since they only make all aluminium cars, and would thus compete pretty directly with the F-150 type, that could be what Ford is thinking about... Either way for any vehicle of that type it makes sense to go with whatever can not rust and the weight savings will add performance while the excess cost should not matter too much for a class of people who were already willing to pay 60K + . Perhaps we should ask why all vehicle's are not made this way already!

Stellar

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
it amaxes me how people always say new is better am i the only one who remembers hodas from 20 tears ago getting 50 to 60 miles per gallon but the new electric hybrids are lucky if they get 30mpg. and weight won't help with fuel economy like they think it will. if you think so empty all the air out of a regular football and replace with helium then try kicking it you will find even thru helium is lighter than air it will fly less distance with same force applied.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Aluminum you say?

I for one want one. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Would have been nice if they'd done it back when rust was a major problem with most cars. Nowdays you get some rust eventually but it's usually not a big deal. Most cars still look good ten years after they roll off the lot with no visible rust. I remember when relatively new cars would rust like crazy. That's one great thing they've done. Makes used cars a much better deal.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join