It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harpers conspiracy to end senate

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by tribaltrip

and a lot of what you say comes down to the lack of fiscal responsibility, which evidently the Senate is not a very good example of.

This is true.

Although Stephen Harper has kep the economy afloat somewhat ( it's one of the only things I can give him credit for) the Senate expense scandal is another nail in the coffin.

It's simply absurd to have an unelected body have so much power, without an official mandate.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I can't believe the shortsightedness of that opinion.

If Harper does succeed in removing the Upper House, does that not bring an end to any possibility of an unacceptable bill being returned to the House of Commons? Rubber stamping whatever omnibus bill he wishes is a dream for him until it in some way crashes into the Supreme Court. Maybe get rid of that too then?

The Senate needs a serious revamping, yes, and I agree with electing senators rather than appointing, but doing away with it altogether is seriously rash.

As far as the money goes, let's compare the $50m spent just on Tory television ads in 2012 alone. Once again, senator spending rules need to be tightened more so that the cost of senate business would be more equal to government ad expenses.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

I just don't see the need for an entire other body to do the work the House of Commons should be doing.

Introduce more debate rules, provide more power to the minority or coalition governments to oppose omnibus bills.

As it stands the Senate doesn't really help Canadians does it? I'm in favor of a great reform Masqua, but I don't see the likely hood of them doing something good with it. I really hope were I'm wrong and the plan put forward makes sense.

Otherwise, abolish it, and create something equivalent through the existing system.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   

tribaltrip
reply to post by tothetenthpower

As someone from Ontario, I know about wasting money (the province just gave away 150,000 in grocery store gift certificates because people lost power for a few days)
Lucky for you that you are not a person of limited means who just had to throw out a Christmas worth of food. Frankly, I'm glad to live in a place where we care for our neighbours...and you'll note that the government is matching donations from the private sector.

As Dickens wrote:

"At this festive season of the year, Mr Scrooge, ... it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the Poor and destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time. Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
"Are there no prisons?"
"Plenty of prisons..."
"And the Union workhouses." demanded Scrooge. "Are they still in operation?"
"Both very busy, sir..."
"Those who are badly off must go there."
"Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
"If they would rather die," said Scrooge, "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Merry Christmas, Mr Scrooge.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

#1) It's winter... we put all of our food in a cooler outside on day 1... It was fine 48 hours later when power returned.
#2) If you are in need of food, we have many different organizations and charities in the GTA that were encouraging people to come and get food, yet we have thousands of people lining up for a $100 gift card.

Trust me. I'm all about taking care of people and passing it on, but if you really think this was any more than just a photo op for Kathleen Wynne, I don't know what to say.

The whole thing was a mess. There were people seen leaving with multiple cards while hundreds of people were still in line. There was a guy who called in to newstalk1010 saying his brother grabbed a card, sold it for half price and went on a beer run. I mean if you are going to do it. At least do it right....

Call me Scrooge, but I can't take these shallow political moves.

In the end - # happens...
edit on 3-1-2014 by tribaltrip because: I came back to say I really should have finished with Bah! Humbug!

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by brice

Yes! Andy Thompson. Thanks for the facts to back my claim. The msm entertained it, for a short while.
That one always sat with me.

And then along came Pam... and Mikey, and Pat. ohmy.
And several inbetween. What a mess.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   

tribaltrip
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

#1) It's winter... we put all of our food in a cooler outside on day 1... It was fine 48 hours later when power returned.

Not everybody has that option...and not all food can be frozen.

#2) If you are in need of food, we have many different organizations and charities in the GTA that were encouraging people to come and get food, yet we have thousands of people lining up for a $100 gift card.

It seems to be a right wing meme that the government should not help out those in distress, leaving it to charity. I don't like that kind of society...which is why I live in Canada.

Trust me. I'm all about taking care of people and passing it on, but if you really think this was any more than just a photo op for Kathleen Wynne, I don't know what to say.

And if she did nothing, you'd still be squawking. It's all in the lens you are applying.

The whole thing was a mess. There were people seen leaving with multiple cards while hundreds of people were still in line. There was a guy who called in to newstalk1010 saying his brother grabbed a card, sold it for half price and went on a beer run. I mean if you are going to do it. At least do it right....

Yes, the whole thing was a mess and if the city had either buried lines or trimmed trees it would have been less of one. As to the distribution process...how would you have done it 'right'? The Toronto Star is collecting good ideas, and I suggest you submit yours before the next weather event.

Call me Scrooge, but I can't take these shallow political moves.

Again...present your options. We're all interested. In fact, I'm sure you could present them to Wynne, as well.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join