It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN Report Possible meteor lights up the night sky

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
CNN Report Possible meteor lights up the night sky
Report Possible meteor lights up the night sky

Iowa residents say they saw and heard what appeared to be a meteor fly across the sky.

According to clueless CNN they claim in Iowa residents had seen what it appears to be a meteor fly across the sky. Either Space junk or Meteor.

CNN being clueless it seems.
edit on 29-12-2013 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
To be fair much of the press is saying the same thing, the 'experts' are more inclined to say it was a meteor though.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Good video there.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Meteors happen every day, sometimes they are very bright. They are exciting to see (I'd love to see a fireball myself some day), but hardly world-worthy news.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

Those are just signs of more to come, come back next year.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

wildespace
Meteors happen every day, sometimes they are very bright. They are exciting to see (I'd love to see a fireball myself some day), but hardly world-worthy news.

100 percent true with one caveat....

There seems to be increasingly good research that the area of space in the Earth's orbit around the sun may be slightly denser as of late which would account for the rise in bolide (fireball) sightings over the past year.

And not to get doomy but the Chelyabinsk meteor which exploded over Russia may have siblings (some possibly a little larger) having possibly originating in a family of objects from an asteroid which broke up 20,000-40,000 years ago:

The meteor that exploded in the sky over Chelyabinsk, Russia in February may not have been alone, new research suggests. According to Carlos and Raúl de la Fuente Marcos, two brothers researching meteor and asteroid orbits at the Complutense University of Madrid, the meteor may have been just one member of an asteroid 'family' on similar orbits - with remaining family members still posing a threat to Earth.

The brothers came to this conclusion after comparing ten 'best estimates' of the Chelyabinsk meteor's orbit with the orbits of all asteroids catalogued by NASA. As an article to be published in Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society: Letters reveals, their search turned up around 20 potential siblings, including the large asteroid 2011 EO40, which is already listed by NASA as 'potentially hazardous'. The de la Fuente Marcos brothers suggest the Chelyabinsk meteor, 2011 EO40 and the other asteroids identified may all be fragments of a previous, larger body that broke up between 20,000 and 40,000 years ago.

So while bolide (fireball) sightings are not world-worthy in and of themselves a significant increase in their frequency and reporting of that trend might be.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   

wildespace

Well they have been coming in regular for the last fifteen days or so. There was a streak across Texas yesterday and one across the sky during the day here in the deep south. I can't believe you have never seen one.

Despite what you hear from nasa we are going through the remnants of isons tail and stripped away debris field.
Many of these are not being reported. There was also a huge blast off the sun yesterday I think it was. It was not earth facing but it still slammed our shield pretty good.

Oh and you have to look up..... Just kidding lol... I hope you get to see one.

The Bot .

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I had the the pleasure of seeing this fireball scream across the sky from Connecticut. It was awesome. My brother in law saw it with me as we were both standing on the deck looking at the stars. Perfect scenario for us.

AAC

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

I saw something like this in North East PA in the early hours of Dec. 25. It was after midnight, and I was on the phone with a friend when I saw an object getting brighter, and it caught my eye, then it looked like 2 objects and they "joined together" from my perspective, then it got brighter than the moon, and seemed like it was moving towards me but off to the side. The objects got really dim and then bright again. I went inside to get my dad to come out and look, the object was gone. However we each saw a shooting star (2 different ones in slightly different spots a few sec apart). He found a video online of a meteor that night, but I haven't yet seen it. This could be a different meteor like I saw, but from the side, I viewed the one Christmas morning head on. We joked around it was Santa haha.

top topics

join