It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shifters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
The Shifters

As I sit here writing this, the world is crumbling around my feet. I have nowhere to go and no one to save. I sit alone and stare outside my window, watching the decimation of my race. There is nothing I can do to save them, and as I watch, I feel compelled to write down what I know. Maybe someone will read this in the future and it will be of value. Maybe someone will survive this madness and will be able to learn from our mistakes. Or maybe I just need to write it down for myself, to make sense of a senseless situation. Whatever the case may be, I will record what I see and what has occurred for anyone left alive to read.

The beginning:

They came swiftly and silently in the night at first. Having the skill to shift in and out between worlds, they used it to their advantage. At first it was just a few people going missing each night. A mother would go to check on her child, she would never return. A young man walking home from his friends house, he never made it. It wasn't until one was caught on video that we realized it was more than just humans abducting humans. And it wasn't until they came in mass that the government felt the need to tell the people what was going on.

The government knew a long time ago about these beings. They had made contact with them long before Roswell even occurred. A dying civilization that needed to rebuild. A few thousand left of their race. Had they only wiped them out back then, none of this would be happening now. But they let them live. Let them take what they needed from our world. And eventually, they grew stronger in numbers. Eventually, they were not happy living in their own world, they wanted ours too.

Why did their race almost die out? Knowing that could possibly save us today. But all we can do is speculate. There are a few rumors that have surfaced about them. I will list them below in general order. Just in case you can find some value in them. But they are nothing more then rumors. None of this has been proven scientifically, none is known to be fact.

**Rumors**

* We believe that they like to take women more than men because they need our wombs to breed their race. The scientists think this is why they have been focusing their attention on cattle the last few years. They wanted to be able to breed without us, to not need us anymore. I guess they figured out how, as they would not be killing us off today if they still needed us to survive.

* We also believe they get stronger as they increase in numbers. At first, they could only phase into our world for a few seconds and it was only at night that they came. Now, they can come during the day, stay an unlimited amount of time, and they don't abduct anyone anymore. They are here for one thing only, to exterminate us.

* Some people have said that they used to be able to only live in darkness. The shadow people is what they were called. I believe this to be true. I used to see them out of the corner of my eye, crouching in the corner of my room, waiting. But I just thought it was my mind playing tricks on me. I shrugged it off and went about my life. I know now that they were real. They were there, watching me as I slept, biding their time.

* Others say they used to live in our world. That they were from the distant past, a once great civilization that had risen and fallen long before the time of man. And that's why they want our world, because it was theirs in the first place. They say that they used to be human, and through science and invention, they figured out how to shift into other dimensions. But they got stuck in one, and that's why they need our wombs to breed with. Because they once were like us.

* It has also been rumored that the story of Atlantis is based upon them. That Atlantis was their great city and that it never sunk, it just phased into a new dimension. That they are the people from that city of legend. But if that were the case, the legend of Atlantis would have to be much more ancient then originally thought, as these creatures have been around since the dawn of man.

**Important Fact**

There is one thing that I know they are afraid of. One thing that through observing them, I have noticed that they won't go near. I have my walls lined with them right now. I have told as many people as I could in the hopes some of our race can survive this madness. Mirrors are what they hate. They won't go anywhere near them. I saw one scream in terror and shift out as soon as he realized he was standing in front of it. I saw another claw his own face off when he saw his reflection. Keep mirrors around you at all times and you'll have a better chance of survival.

**My own theory**

I don't believe they abducted us to breed, I think they somehow changed the people they abducted. Made them become one of them through DNA manipulation. I think it was an experiment gone wrong. The increase in their numbers coincide with the abductions that took place. Their ability to withstand light, stay in this world longer than before, it all makes sense to me. They can do this because this world is where they came from in the first place. I think the cow mutilations were the original creatures experimenting, researching, and perfecting the science. I think they figured out how to modify our DNA and make us like them. And I think that's how they increased their population.

The original species are not the ones wreaking havoc on us now. I think these are the humans that were changed. That they yearn to be what they once were, and are angry that they can't be human anymore. I think that is why they hate mirrors so much, they hate what they've become and can't bear to look at themselves. The inner human is still there, but is driven by instinct alone. That is why they are killing us. They are driven by their anger and self pity.

The sun has come up and I must sleep now. Daylight is the safest time to sleep, although there is no safe time or place anymore in this world. I will write more this evening, when I wake up.

To be continued.

Thanks,
Blend57

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by blend57

I absolutely love it! S&F for you my friend!

Is the story really to be continued? I've been sucked into the story and I'm anxious to know what happens next! Good job!

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Yes. I am going to keep working on it. Just unsure of what direction it will take. And I have to go to work so I can't write anymore today. But I will let you know when I add more, probably tomorrow or the next day...

I truly appreciate you letting me know you liked it.

Thanks,
Blend57

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Simple retro style. I like it.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by blend57

That's a great piece of writing. I really liked that and can't wait for the next installment...No pressure!! (lol)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Second Entry: More Info

I woke up to a strange sound tonight. I thought it was the end of the world, it sounded so eerie. I remember the videos from before, but they could not compare to hearing it with your own ears. It just amplifies the feeling of hopelessness I have. Watching out my window, seeing the shifters walk the streets. I have never felt so alone as I do now.

I wonder how many humans are left in this city. How many have been hiding in their houses, waiting for it all to end? I have watched from my window and seen so many fall, their bodies still laying in the streets. And I could do nothing but sit here and listen to them as they screamed for help. Listen to them cry out in agony as the shifters took their lives. The first few weeks were the worst. Every moment of every day was filled with the sound of death. Now, the world is quieter, the majority of the city has fallen and the rest of us our just holding on as long as we can. We all know that death is imminent. We just wait and hope that somehow, someway, we will survive.

I have been listening to reports via radio, as well as on my CB and scanner. There are more rumors emerging every day about what's going on. As well as some information on the creatures and how to kill them. Again, I will be writing this information below in general order. Remember, this is all speculation, nothing has been verified at this time. The only thing we know for sure is that the government is not telling the whole truth. They know more then what they've been saying and it is painfully obvious....

**Updates**

* It is now thought that Shifters are not from this world and never have been. It is being said that they have been responsible for the fall of mankind many, many times before. That they wait for our numbers to reach a certain level, then kill us off down to a mere thousand or so. Then they wait for us to rebuild our population, and repeat the cycle again.

Somehow, through killing us, their population increases. If everything has an opposite, their world would be the yin to our yang. When we rise in numbers and flourish, they decrease in numbers and suffer. When our civilizations fall, theirs rises up. Without them, we cannot live and without us they cannot survive.

*They are not using us to breed, they are absorbing our energy, that's how they eat. The general consensus is that they have to wait until we rebuild to a certain population number before they can show themselves. It is not known why they have to wait. They take a few humans and cattle here and there to satiate themselves until the time comes and they can feast. We are nothing more than food to them.

**New Information**

* It is thought that they need us to reach a certain level in our technology in order for them to enter our world. It is not known if this is due to us ruining our environment with the technology we use, or if it is because we help them enter our world with the technology we create. But people believe that they would have come sooner if they could have, that something was holding them at bay.

* The strange sounds have been linked to the Shifters. Many people think they are trying to open a permanent door to our world. And that they have been for quite some time. Or that they want to merge both worlds into one. But the worlds are so opposite, that it is causing both worlds to break and crumble. That is why the sounds are happening, our world is bending and straining from the merge.

*Cern is being blamed for them being here as well. People are saying that we opened the door to their world and allowed them access to ours. But no one has seen any door or portal yet. These things just shift in and out of existence, they don't seem to be entering our world from any specific location.

* It has been reported that someone from Texas has managed to kill one of the creatures. They do bleed just like us and you can kill them. They said they just used a 15,000,000 volt taser gun to do it. After they stunned the creature, they put a bullet in his head and he died instantly. They did an autopsy on the body and found that their anatomy is very similar to ours. Leave it to the Texans to find a way to use their guns.

My supplies are running low and I will be forced to go savaging again. Hopefully I will survive and be able to give more information as it is relayed to me. I truly can't tell you how scared I am to go out there. No word can describe how it feels to live in this world. I do have a taser and a gun, but I fear that if I were face to face with one of these creatures, I would be paralyzed with fear and not be able use them. Hopefully the trip is quick and without incident.

To be continued....
Thanks,
Blend57

edit on 30-12-2013 by blend57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by blend57

Another great addition blend. I like the way you have wrote this. It's gripping stuff and you can feel the tension. And I love the creepy earth sounds....Very jittery stuff!

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by blend57

I absolutely love it!!!!

I usually don't keep returning to stories that are done in excerpts but I will continue to keep visiting this one as long as you keep putting it out! I can't wait to hear about some encounters with these beings- awesome!!!

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I've been working on the next part and it is just up your alley if you are looking for some interaction with the shifters. But it's going to take me a few days to get it done. I really want the reader to feel it, and that is hard to get just right.

I'll let ya know when I post it.
Thanks,
Blend57

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDoctor46

Thanks......I am trying to incorporate some real life creepiness into this thing.

I don't believe I've ever put links into my writing , so its kinda fun to do. Hopefully you'll like the next part too. Going to be hard to find a video for that one...lol

Thanks!
Blend57

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
**Personal Account**

It took me a minute to realize it was there. I had walked in and was sorting through the stuff I had gathered when a cold chill ran down my back. The sense that something was watching me was so strong, I nearly turned to find the source. I didn't have to look, though, I could smell it. The bittersweet smell of death assaulted my nostrils. My eyes were watering from the rancid air that permeated around the room. And as my senses heightened, I could hear it breathing, a steady grating sound coming from the right.

Turning slightly, I see it out of the corner of my eye. The creature was in a crouching position, one hand placed on the wall, the other on the floor for support. It blended almost perfectly into the shadows. I could see its skin constantly changing color to try and match the shadow it was in. It was a predator by nature. It's whole body was designed for killing. Two rows of sharp, black as night teeth. Claws that were three inches long protruded from its fingers. It's legs were long and muscular, built for speed. If it stood straight up, its head would probably scrape the ceiling. I would guess it was about ten feet in height.

Every once in awhile, the creature would shift its position. It looked awkward when it did so. Almost as though it wasn't used to moving around like that.

I felt hopelessness creep over me as I realized what my fate would be. How could I win against such a thing? If it had wanted to, it could have killed me before I had even known it was there. I looked at the taser I held in my hand. It was pointless, how could this be of any use against a creature like that? I keep at my task, one eye on the creature as I take supplies from my bag. I set the taser down and pull out my gun and knife. Everything I had to protect myself was sitting on the table before me. None of it seemed capable of killing the beast. It just wasn't enough to get the job done. My confidence wavering, I search my mind , trying to think of something I could use.

I saw it stand up, it's height making it the most prominent thing in the room. As it moved closer, I could hear it's breathing getting more pronounced. It was getting excited, the anticipation of the kill making it breath heavier, faster than before. Time was moving slowly as I turn to look it square in the face. We both knew what was coming, I knew my death lie before me. It knew it would get the satisfaction of killing once more. There was no question as to what was about to occur.

Fear embraced me, but I fought against its clutches. I pushed it away and gathered every last piece of courage I had. This was not the time to be fearful, not if I wanted to live. As the creature came into range, I reached for my taser. Praying that the Texans were right about how to kill this thing. As soon as I knew I wouldn't miss, I fired, the two nodes entering the creature center chest. I watched as the electricity coursed through its body. It's skin cycling through several shades of grey as it tried to move forward. It was only seconds before I placed two bullets into its head. It did not scream in pain, no sound whatsoever came from its lips. It just stood there, staring at me. Its head tilted to one side as though it was wondering what just happened. Then in slow motion, it fell to the floor, still staring at me as the last sign of life left its eyes.

I watched it for a moment, scared to move really. I was unsure if it was truly dead, it seemed too easy. So many emotions ran through my head. My body was shaking with fear and adrenaline, I could barely keep from falling to the floor myself. Then, I honed in on one emotion and I ran with it, anger. I was so angry at this thing, one of the many creatures that had decimated my race. The anger surged through my very being and I couldn't help myself. I pulled the trigger until every last bullet had been fired, aiming them all straight at its head. Kicking it as I screamed obscenities, it was only a few moments before I spied my knife on the table. It was only a moment more before the creatures innards were laying on the floor beside it.

Finally satiated, I fell to the ground, let go of all the feelings and a sense of calm overtook me. I looked at the creature that lay before me and smiled. It felt so good to finally do something, to fight back. So many weeks I had sat in this very room and done nothing as they slaughtered people. I had listened and hid like a coward, too afraid to help.

This experience was a game changer. I was no longer the scared little mouse I used to be. I had faced the enemy and won. There was a new feeling welling up from deep inside me, hope. I take my knife and cut off one of the creatures claws, hanging it around my neck with some string. Knowing that there was only one option left for me, I pack my bag and head out into the night. I was no longer going to be the hunted, I was going to be the hunter instead.

Continued next post

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
**Final entry**

*My life is so different now. I travel from town to town, killing as many of these things as I can. I have met others like me. We group up from time to time and help one another out. We are taking back our homes and our world, one kill at a time. They say we are the last hope. I don't believe it, though. There are men and women from all walks of life trying to figure out a way to send these things back to their own world. It's just a matter of time before we find it.

*I have found out how they came to be here. As usual, it was the governments fault. They were messing with technology they didn't understand and created a rift between our world and theirs. The problem is that they never told anyone about it until it was too late. They still deny any wrong doing to this day. Only a few people know about it. I found out because I ran into one of the scientists that was working on the project. I saved his life and he in turn spilled his beans, so to speak. It doesn't matter though, most of the people involved have either died or are living in underground bunkers. We have barricaded the doors to each and every one of them so that when they are ready to come out, they won't be able to. They are no longer needed or wanted in this world.

*Many people have taken to the woods, living in caves and tents, just trying to survive. Women and children are the most revered people of the human race now. They are to be protected at all costs. We need them to rebuild our numbers. There are some that choose the life of a hunter, but most are hidden away, protected by the strongest and most capable of our men. I stay at these camps from time to time, enjoying the simple life they lead and remembering the days of old.

*The creatures are not so bold when they hunt us now. They have figured out that we are not afraid of them anymore. They have seen that we will fight back. They have seen us kill them and know we will not go silently. It makes hunting them a little harder, but we still manage to take down a few every night. Mirrors do not stop them, as you can tell from my entry above. They fear nothing except death. If you want to survive, you must be ready to fight, you must be ready to kill. That is the only way you will ever make it through this alive.

**Final Note**

I am heading out on a long journey. I will not be writing in this journal anymore, I don't need to. The best advice I can give you now is just live. Live with hope and determination in your heart. Live each day like it was your last. Enjoy the good moments, learn from the bad. Each day has new things to offer. The way I was before, I wasn't living. I was hiding from death. That is how these things win, they take the very thing that makes you human and kill it before they even touch you. Go outside, feel the sun on your face, take back your life. Enjoy each and every moment you have.

A final note: This is not the end, it's a new beginning. It's a chance for us to do the right things, make the right choices. It's a chance for us to build a world that is one we want to live in. I cannot say that it will be easy. Many will fall and there will be heartache and pain. But we will survive, we will fight to the last breath. We will win this war. What happens after is up to you and whoever else is left when the smoke clears. Make it a good place, remember what we did wrong and don't repeat the past mistakes.

Thanks,
Blend57

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by blend57

Wonderful!!!!!! I wish I could give you more flags and stars!!!
Also, I have an overwhelming urge to go out and purchase a taser for some reason...

Keep up the great writing Blend57-
I'm in until the very end!

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Yes, I thought about getting one myself
Hopefully the encounter with the shifter was detailed enough for you? Let me know what you think about that, as I think I could have done better with it.

Thanks for following the story until the end. I kinda left it open so I could do another entry if I wanted. But I have another story I'm working on, so this will probably be it for now.

I will let you know if I decide to add to it or not.

Thanks,
Blend57

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by blend57

If you decide to continue with this story after completing your next one I would absolutely love to hear about your adventures as a "hunter". There is much possible material that has yet to be tapped, and your writing style is perfect for it!

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by blend57

That was great blend. I loved every piece you wrote there. The whole story was thrilling and entertaining from start to finish....Right...Ebay.....Tazers.....

edit on 1 3 2014 by TheDoctor46 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by blend57

Brilliant ...simply wonderful. I truly enjoyed that read. The details were very nice and I could see everything in my head like a lil movie. I enjoyed that the creatures didn't like mirrors at first.

I like how you wrote it. Well done friend

Standing ovation
*clapping*

top topics

join