It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 New Comets headed our way for 2004!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2003 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Back on Aug. 28, 2001, the International Astronomical Union (IAU) announced the discovery of a new comet spotted by Near Earth Asteroid Tracking team at Palomar Observatory in southern California. Like several other comets, this one has come to be called NEAT, the acronym for the discovery program.

The comet should not be confused with another that recently looped around the Sun and that also bore a NEAT moniker. That comet NEAT was designated C/2002 V1. The comet NEAT anticipated for next year has been designated as C/2001 Q4.

The potential

The potential for a bright comet show for the spring of 2004 is based on an improved orbit that places the new comet NEAT�s closest point to the Sun, or perihelion, at a distance of 89.4 million miles (143.9 million kilometers) on May 15, 2004.

And another thing �

If the prospects for one bright comet doesn�t excite you, how about two?

On Oct. 29, 2002, The IAU announced the discovery by the LINEAR survey of a comet that may also become a bright naked-eye object in May 2004.

Designated C/2002 T7 (LINEAR), the comet is currently shining at around 15th magnitude. The latest orbit suggests that it will come closest to the Sun on April 23, 2004 at a distance of about 57 million miles (91 million kilometers).

space.com...

posted on May, 22 2003 @ 09:05 PM
link   
So, is this another dooms day prediction

posted on May, 22 2003 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Wouldnt that be just an awesome sight to look up in the nightsky and see 2 comets passing by.

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Hmmmm I can not find any new information on these comets and their current positions...... I just wondered can anyone??

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Wow thats very interesting, also I want to know if anyone knows of a website that has information about solar flares and decribes the different classes of them

I noticed kukla's sig and it said X Class Flare right now

Is that bad?

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Hate to break the news but there are going to be a lot of comets within 5 years.

Maybe I can catch' one.

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
Hate to break the news but there are going to be a lot of comets within 5 years.

Maybe I can catch' one.

Yeah i agree, just because they are not documented doesnt mean that there cant be any coming within telescopic viewing range.

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 06:59 AM
link   
There been any reports of anomalies tailing these comets?

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 07:54 AM
link   
The more comets the better!!

I think it's great news, but in reality back-yard astronomy is more difficult now that it ever was. Cities with all it's light pollution hide most of the splendor of the night sky. I mean loads of people haven't even seen the milky way and that's one of the most amazing things. I hope I can get out to some field at night to see the full glory of those comets, tail and everything, and not just see what just looks like another star to add to the 10 or so I see in the city!!

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 08:24 AM
link   
yeah tehre's meant to be a heap of these comets coming in like a 10 year period b4 the X ;P

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Heres the update on the comets in 2004!

A pair of comets show much promise for 2004, though keep in mind that predicting the brightness of comets remains a somewhat unreliable science. This article was written in the latter half of 2003 and will be updated from time to time as and when new information becomes available; charts will be added in early 2004.

skyandtelescope.com...

[Edited on 4-1-2004 by thehippiedude]

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
Wow thats very interesting, also I want to know if anyone knows of a website that has information about solar flares and decribes the different classes of them

I noticed kukla's sig and it said X Class Flare right now

Is that bad?

Yes, this is it Lysergic...

www.n3kl.org...

Also, if you surf around that site you will find the definition of the categories.

join