It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria's Assad sends private message to Pope Francis, Vatican says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
The private message is still, well, private, the contents not yet disclosed to the public but I'll assume Assad is looking for help.

Maybe he's is getting war weary and is looking for a way out. Assad, a Muslim, reaching out the Pope, interesting. That'll for sure piss off Al Qaeda and the rest of the extremists.

worldnews.nbcnews.com...

VATICAN CITY — Syrian President Bashar Assad has sent Pope Francis a private message, the Vatican said on Saturday, without disclosing its contents.

It was the first known time Assad has sent a direct message to the pontiff since the start of Syria's civil war in 2011. Pope Francis has made numerous appeals for an end to the conflict, the latest on Christmas Day.

Vatican sources said the message likely included the Syrian government's position ahead of peace talks due to start on January 22 under U.N. auspices in Geneva.

The Vatican, which has permanent observer status at the United Nations, also has a representative to U.N. organizations in Geneva.

The Vatican said a delegation headed by Joseph Sweid, a Syrian minister of state, held talks in the Vatican with the pope's secretary of state, Archbishop Pietro Parolin and his foreign minister, Archbishop Dominique Mamberti.

"The delegation brought a message from President Assad for the Holy Father and illustrated the position of the Syrian government," a statement said.

Syria's civil war between forces loyal to Assad and mostly Sunni Muslim rebels fighting to topple him has killed more than 100,000 people since March 2011.

The Vatican is also keen to have information on the fate of Father Paolo Dall'Oglio, a Jesuit priest who supported the rebels and disappeared in July in eastern Syria.

Francis has taken a personal interest in the Syrian conflict.

Well over 100,000 people have been killed during this civil war, from Alawites, to FSA fighters, terrorists, civilians, Syrian forces, and what has been accomplished? Are they any closer to peace, to toppling on another?

I'm not a religious fella at all but Syria is in such turmoil I'd like to see every peaceful avenue explored if it would help.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Maybe Assad's note was to thank the pope for his Christmas message in asking the world to pray for peace in Syria. Assad is an educated man and it would seem to be the right thing to do, imo.

My immediate reaction to that news? Someone is unprofessional and leaking gossip about information that should not leave the office. All that does is cause gossip and speculation, yes?

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   

aboutface
Maybe Assad's note was to thank the pope for his Christmas message in asking the world to pray for peace in Syria. Assad is an educated man and it would seem to be the right thing to do, imo.

My immediate reaction to that news? Someone is unprofessional and leaking gossip about information that should not leave the office. All that does is cause gossip and speculation, yes?

Yeah, this note could only be addressing a few topics, one would think. No matter to us, as it's a private note.

Keep a lid on your sources re: non-information, Vatican.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Maybe Assad wanted to ask him...

"What's the deal with the hat? Seriously, level with me here."

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

I think that is what any rational leader in need of help from multinational terrorist attacks against his country would do,,to just seek justice from all presumably influential "elite" who their words might have an impact to solve this deliberate insanity and orchestrated genocide that is taking place in Syria.

top topics

join