It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is Earths Hottest Pepper - Carolina Reaper

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
The Earths Hottest Pepper and I just ordered a bottle of hot sauce made from it!

This story is from yesterday but I just found it while poking about the web. The Article is about the Carolina Reaper Pepper and I just had to share it. I have a bit of a thing for hot sauces and to date have been able to handle anything tossed at me. This should be interesting as it is nearly twice as strong as last years record holder.

(Newser) – The Carolina Reaper has taken the title of world's hottest pepper, after a four-year quest to do just that. The Guinness Book of World Records in November handed the honor to Ed Currie, who grows the fire-engine red peppers in South Carolina. The move followed 2012 testing at Winthrop University to determine where Currie's peppers fell in terms of Scoville Heat Units, which measure what it sounds like they should: a pepper's heat.

For comparison's sake, a jalapeno clocks in at about 5,000 to 8,000 Scoville Units. Currie's record-setting batch (code name HP22B for "Higher Power, Pot No. 22, Plant B") measured an average 1,569,300 Scoville Units, with the hottest pepper among the group clocking in at 2.2 million units, reports the AP. That's about 200,000 units beyond pepper spray's measure.

The Los Angeles Times reports the ominously named Trinidad Moruga Scorpion was named hottest last year by New Mexico State University's Chile Pepper Institute; its average measurement was roughly 1.2 million units, with the hottest at more than 2 million.

Link to Story I will probably choke on it, but am looking forward to trying it out!

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Says pepper spray clocks in at 5 mill Scoville Heat units...

culinaryarts.about.com...

I've tried a habanero before... its like hell in your mouth!

I couldn't even imagine eating something hotter...

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Challenge accepted.
Thats hotter than macing yourself in the mouth.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

I'd hate to be your ass come the day after cracking that bottle of sauce, I suggest you order some huggies and baby butt wipes and not have imminent plans that day with that special lady, (if you are a lady then disregard they don't poop) God Speed and good luck!

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

I've had some of the spiciest peppers and I must say, it does hurt going down, but the REAL hurt is when it COMES OUT.....

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
My ex-husband & I were discussing this very pepper & man the other day. Come to find out this guy is guilty of injecting chemicals into the plants & fruits in order to breed a hotter pepper. I'll try to find the source again & post a link.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

I'm a huge chili head!

Last summer I had 60 hot pepper plants
Including habaneros and a ghost pepper I ordered from Hawaii.

At the start of the summer my threshold was a single habanero in my dish. Towards the end I would scramble like 3 habaneros with my eggs. Funny I went into a Thai restaurant earlier this year unknowingly during a spicy competition. I saw the competitors order their dish 'thai hot' and I ordered mine and I was like…yeah double the amount you put in theirs please. I won a free meal and some beer w00p w00p.

Anyhoot. From what I understand ever since the ghost pepper Bhut Joklia (sp?) beat the record with 1 mil it's been a back and forth competition between the ghost pepper, trinidad scorpion, and the naga viper. Just insane the heat level it's at now!! I wasn't aware of this new one so thanks for the thread! I'm ordering me some seeds asap.

*to add: I got a bottle of hot sauce for Christmas that uses the trinidad scorpion. It's pretty damn hot. From the same people that make Dave's Insanity Sauce only hotter.
edit on 29-12-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by claireaudient

Come to find out this guy is guilty of injecting chemicals into the plants & fruits in order to breed a hotter pepper. I'll try to find the source again & post a link.

I'm very interested in reading that.

I wonder if it's a chemical that's a direct precursor to capsaicin, or if it's just stressing the plant and it produces more capsaicin in defense.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

I think I'll pass, I grow habaneros and they are hot enough for me, any pepper hotter than those are a legal form of torture.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Interesting please find the source, I haven't seen anything about him losing the Guinness record.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
There as some cucumber facial wipes currently on the market. Place a pack in your refrigerator for use the following morning. This is the voice of stinging experience.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Hot is judged by the mouth of the taster.

I love me some hot wings. I've had all of 'em I could find over here. There's a pub called 3 Alley in Itaewon that serves what I consider the hottest. I can do three at a time. They're so hot you feel intoxicated after eating six of them in an evening. My best so far has been 8 in one night.

This article rates these wings as an "8" ... but I've tried them all, and these are 'by far' the hottest for me. Some of the other hot ones have a lot of vinegar mixed in there ... and that kills some folks.

As one poster said ... you really pay for eating hot stuff on the way out. These things were so hot they scared my bum to max opening (yeah that may sound like artistic license/embellishment), but I swear nothing touches the sides coming out.
Me and my buddies had to stop eating these things because they literally cause internal bleeding.

I did a bad thing with my best friend who came over for a visit. I bet him a hundred bucks he couldn't do all ten (that came on a plate) without stopping. Him, being the miser that he is, ate every one. Never seen it done before ... or since.
Still LOL when I think about it ... and he didn't make me pay either. Words of good advice ... never eat these things if you have to fly out the next day.

OP: Do let us know how that bottle of sauce you ordered rates.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Waiting for a text from my ex as to what his source was.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Thecakeisalie
reply to post by Mamatus

I think I'll pass, I grow habaneros and they are hot enough for me, any pepper hotter than those are a legal form of torture.

Agreed. I love hot peppers and hot sauces, and I can eat raw habaneros, but some of the super hot ones are too much. I tried a naga viper (bit right into it) and I regretted it. It physically burned my lips. That damn thing injured me! A perfect blend of sauce, imo, is some really good jalapenos with a wee bit of habanero.
My neighbor and I used to have huge gardens and would grow tons of peppers, and make 5-gallon plastic buckets of salsa. One evening, I set out slicing peppers for a batch of hot salsa. I laid out some jalapenos
and sliced them up. Then I moved on to the habaneros. On my first slice, the habanero squirted juice right into both my eyes! I spent the remainder of the evening applying cold damp towels to my eyes. It took about 5 hours to dissipate.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Dumbass

Dumbass, you just brightened my day, thank you for sharing this amazing moment with the world LOL

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by iRoyalty

Lol there are many more people eating this or other peppers on the Tube and they all make you laugh

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Heh one time my buddy randomly handed me a habanero at a party. I gently squeezed it at one point. About 45 minutes later in the night, long after I had ditched the pepper, I stupidly rubbed my eyes for a second.

BIG MISTAKE.

I was in pure agony for a solid 4 hours.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Please find and send me that link. If this stuff has been doctored with some kind of chemical to make it hotter I simply won't even try it. In fact I will cancel the order or send it back.

I love a good hot sauce challenge, but chemical enhanced? NO WAY!

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Had to add thanks for the chart of HOT! I also accidentally deleted my post in MyATS so I had to post again in case Claire finds that link.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join