Can you ever be too Wealthy?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

I do agree with you, but what I said had to be said.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   

AthlonSavage
reply to post by Snarl

I do agree with you, but what I said had to be said.

LOL And you had every right to say it. Can you let it go now and be happy? That's all I want for you, brother.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   

LittleByLittle
reply to post by CIAGypsy

There are many travesties that have happened throughout history that cannot be undone. But it would be wrong to punish current generations of people who haven't done anything wrong because of ALLEGED wrongdoings of their ancestors.

Why not? Have every man and woman start from scratch and show what they can do with their own work ethics and no system designed to make them winners and other losers. Any man and woman should have created what they have so that they really deserve it.
edit on 28-12-2013 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

Spoken like a true communist.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I'd settle for being out of debt. We don't owe that much but I would like to be debt free. That will probably be in a couple of years. I don't need to be wealthy, and definitely don't need to be too wealthy. If I had a lot of money, I would be forced to go on trips with the wife and hate it. I was on the go most of my life, I don't like to go anymore, I would rather do stuff around the house now. Those who spent their whole life stuck in an office can go out and have fun. I would rather spend time studying and learning to grow things and study nature here where I live. I like going out and picking blueberries and strawberries. I like fishing in streams. That does not cost much at all.

For those who want to go see the world and get sick or stranded in airports or on cruise ships, I wish you the best of luck. I'll go to a pow wow the local indians have and feast with them at the end.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   

AthlonSavage

But it would be wrong to punish current generations of people who haven't done anything wrong because of ALLEGED wrongdoings of their ancestors.

But don't you see that's what happens anyway. The current generations of these wealthy families are living on the blood, sweat and tears of the current generations of people without any money/assets. A crime once is still a crime that people long after will suffer negatively from.

And you are living on land that once belonged to great people whose current generation are likely living in extreme poverty and have had their heritage raped from them. If you believe in the foundation of what you say, why not fight to return their property to them? Give up what you claim as yours and force your family to do the same... After all, your ancestors have stolen from these people.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Actually that has been done they were given much land back where they can live under their own traditional laws and customs. The ones who remain in the city do so out of their own choice.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Anybody who says money can't buy you happiness doesn't know where to shop.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

Well, I'll tell you when I get there. Until then, I think its worth looking at the others who have been to the height of wealth, and see how they acted. Look at Zuckerberg, who just gave a billion dollars to charity:
www.latimes.com...
Or look at Bill Gates, who gives vast amounts through the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation.

What's clear to me is that you would just reach a certain point with wealth where you feel like an A-hole, using the money that could save 10,000 children's lives, to upgrade your yacht with gold plated floors, and that would actually draw from your pleasure of your yacht. So at a certain point you set up some money to help those who need it most. Before you've done that, yes, you have too much money. After having done that, you're in the clear. I'd say Zuckerberg has the right to fully enjoy the billions he still has, with a clear conscience, as does Gates, and all the rest who have done good things through giving to others. What's really wonderful to look at is how this compulsion to help others seems built in to the human soul. There's a lot of good in humanity.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by tridentblue

www.goodnewsnetwork.org...

An Irish-American billionaire who kept his philanthropy secret for 15 years has given away $7.5 billion - and plans for it all to go to charity before his dies.

Chuck Feeney, 82, wears a $15 Casio watch, often travels in coach, does not own a car, is a self-confessed 'shabby dresser' and sensibly made his children work their way through college.

"I believe strongly in ‘giving while living,'" said Feeney in 2012. "I see little reason to delay giving when so much good can be achieved through supporting worthwhile causes today."

He has given away 99 percent of his fortune to health, science, education and civil rights causes around the world through his Atlantic Philanthropies foundation.

Charles “Chuck” Feeney, was born during the Great Depression and came from a modest background of blue collar Irish-American parents who worked hard to make a good life for their family in Elizabeth, New Jersey. An entrepreneur from an early age, he was always thinking of new money-making schemes. His most successful, and the one that earned him all the money he is now giving away, was duty-free shopping.

In 1984, Atlantic Philanthropies received all of the Feeney interests in Duty Free Shoppers and operated anonymously for its first 15 years. Some of his biggest contributions went to rebuilding Vietnam's health care infrastructure after the war, building the Republic of Ireland’s university system, and biomedical and cancer research.

In his biography,The Billionaire Who Wasn't: How Chuck Feeney Made and Gave Away a Fortune Without Anyone Knowing, Feeney said, “I had one idea that never changed in my mind—that you should use your wealth to help people.”

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Mamatus

Personally I like having every bill I have on auto pay and not having to worry about bills any longer. However I am not rich or wealthy. Just doing well enough to easily pay my bills while putting my money towards other endeavors.

THIS^^^^^^ would be all I ever wanted truth be told.

My husband and I always seem to be paycheck to paycheck BUT (like you said in the same post I quoted) we are still well off compared to a lot of folks and for that I am plenty thankful.

To OP - I agree with others here. It is relative. I have always said that I would not want to be filthy rich because I do think it changes who you are regardless of how much you try to resist it. I am sure some can resist it, but we never really here a lot about those people.

My dad always said that he would never want to be rich where he could have anything he wanted, because what could you dream for? I always thought that was kind of a good point. When we stop dreaming.... we lose something in ourselves. If you could have anything you ever wanted on a whim... it would be sort of depressing after a while. There would be nothing left to look forward to.

Maybe that is just something poor/not rich people say to themselves to make life easier?? If it is, I will just stick with it as does have a ring of truth in it IMO.

I have always just wanted enough to be comfortable. To pay my bills on time, every time and not have to worry about it if the refrigerator breaks mid-month. Some months I make it... some months I don't. It is what it is, but I do have tons more than many others out there so there are no complaints no matter which month you ask on.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Thanks for sharing AthlonSavage, that's so cool. At a shallow level, I guess I envy rich guys a little for the nice cars and houses, but these guys that have done so much for the needy, I actually envy them a lot more. Just imagine looking at what you've done, and seeing all these families that would have never made it without you, and being able to say "I did that". What a moral treasure, what a cool thing to have in your heart.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   

I believe that you CAN be too wealthy! When you have reached the point of being too comfortable financially you tend to push the lessons you learned on the journey to get there to the back of your mind. The longer you are comfortable the less you remember and you lose compassion for those who are still on that journey to financial stability. You buy things that you dont want or need in an effort to fill the void left by the compassion that is lost and forget the important things that you learned through the struggle to attain wealth. I would rather be poor and happy with my life than wealthy and unhappy because we all know- money cannot buy happiness!

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

CIAGypsy

LittleByLittle

There are many travesties that have happened throughout history that cannot be undone. But it would be wrong to punish current generations of people who haven't done anything wrong because of ALLEGED wrongdoings of their ancestors.

Why not? Have every man and woman start from scratch and show what they can do with their own work ethics and no system designed to make them winners and other losers. Any man and woman should have created what they have so that they really deserve it.

Thank you for that comment I will wear it as a badge of honor along side Jesus and Buddha. To bad most communist are real communist but become equally predatory on their people/brothers and sisters just like insane capitalists.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

LittleByLittle

CIAGypsy

LittleByLittle

Thank you for that comment I will wear it as a badge of honor along side Jesus and Buddha. To bad most communist are real communist but become equally predatory on their people/brothers and sisters just like insane capitalists.

Wow... You put yourself up alongside Jesus and Buddha?

Wow... Just.... WOW. Pride and ego goeth before thy fall.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   

AthlonSavage

Actually that has been done they were given much land back where they can live under their own traditional laws and customs. The ones who remain in the city do so out of their own choice.

How convenient that YOU didn't have to give anything up... You let someone else do it on your behalf.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   

CIAGypsy

LittleByLittle

CIAGypsy

LittleByLittle

They are great teachers of what to be and seeing beyond the material. Thinking it is a sign of pride putting yourself alongside of Jesus and Buddha. Lol. It is in reality the opposite since they do not need any onlookers to be what they are and where. No need for garments for anyone and not caring what others think of them, since they have the voice within.
edit on 29-12-2013 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

LittleByLittle

CIAGypsy

LittleByLittle

CIAGypsy

LittleByLittle

They are great teachers of what to be and seeing beyond the material. Thinking it is a sign of pride putting yourself alongside of Jesus and Buddha. Lol. It is in reality the opposite since they do not need any onlookers to be what they are and where. No need for garments for anyone and not caring what others think of them, since they have the voice within.

Well then, you just go ahead and run around naked, thinking you are as enlightened as Jesus. We'll see how far that gets you....

In the meantime, I will be using material things to do good things on Earth for people who need help and can't do it for themselves. This gets them past their immediate and animalistic needs so they can choose to open their minds for bigger things that really matter.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

CIAGypsy

LittleByLittle

CIAGypsy

LittleByLittle

CIAGypsy

LittleByLittle

Well then, you just go ahead and run around naked, thinking you are as enlightened as Jesus. We'll see how far that gets you....

So you met "running naked with a bible"? He is kinda cool but I think the garment thing is supposed to be taken symbolically not literal. As long as he has fun and do not get hurt I do not mind his eccentricity.

In the meantime, I will be using material things to do good things on Earth for people who need help and can't do it for themselves. This gets them past their immediate and animalistic needs so they can choose to open their minds for bigger things that really matter.

You do that.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

I think if you enjoy what you do and make a lot of money as a result,then there is no problem by getting rich that way...But if you struggle,suffer,and you are forced to harm other people/animals,earth,etc,,and you hate what you do and do not morally approve of your outcome,then you are for sure better off not being wealthy...It really depends on ones personality experties and expectations.But I have got to admit that they are not too many rich people in the world that I want to be traveling or spending time with...Unless of course they pay me enough for it.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

How convenient that YOU didn't have to give anything up... You let someone else do it on your behalf.

That's not precisely true the cost gets absorbed into Taxpayers dollars, that's Taxpayers dollars not money from the Prince Phillip wild life fund.

Elaborate on the good things you will be doing?
edit on 29-12-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join