It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gotta Get Fit & Healthy: Your Good Ideas Welcome

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

edit on 28-12-2013 by Galadriel because: (no reason given)

Hi all,
I deleted my original post here as it was long and personal and I could tell by the initial post reply that I was going to get comments about exercise that would be easy to do if I was fit and healthy, but I am not. To clarify, I have chronic fatigue syndrome, asthma that comes and goes for no apparent reason (sometimes exercise induced, hot/cold air induced, or from a cold), high blood pressure, high blood sugar, and now some aggravating pain in my lower back and hip.

I can't just take up tennis tomorrow or run 5 miles. I need to get healthy - and am hoping for some insights into alternative medicines/approaches to address chronic fatigue syndrome, liver issues, asthma, back problems, blood pressure/sugar. And to hear if anyone has turned things around for themselves drastically to where they are healthy and able to become fit, flexible and toned again. (I used to be very, very fit and into martial arts, gym daily, hiking, etc. - like knuckle push-up fit). I have a stressful corporate job that eats up most of my life, which is really hard when you have chronic fatigue. Hard to come home and then take care of myself properly.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
get a bicycle

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Galadriel

Buy three tennis raquets for you and kids, find a tennis court and play some rounds.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Evening,

I say regular excersize, eat healthy (cut sugar intake, no GMO/Trangenics, Cut Gluten and all redundant grain intake and reduction of carbs) and nutritional and vitamin suppliments including:

- Coenzyme Q10
- Multi-Vitamin
- Harp Seal or Cod Liver Oil
- Curcumin/Tumeric
- Trophic Iodine
- Acidofilus & Bifidus Probiotic

Avoid beer if you can and eliminate pop from your diet entirely.
IMO...that might be a good start.
If you are thinking of going total vegan then be forewarned that the only way to get vitamin D for a true vegan (in my understanding) is sunburned shiitake mushrooms. Problem is they are very expensive and the sunburning process only produces tiny amounts of Vitamin D so you need a LOT of them to get the daily requirement.
I wish you good fortune in your new lifestyle.

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   

I just lost over 30 pounds, and not feeling hungry doing it. I stopped eating fake food that contains more chemicals than actual food. Eating fake food only makes you more hungry and eat tons of it. Things that say they are diet foods like diet soda contains chemicals and only make you gain more water weight. You can eat carbs as long as they are organic. In fact, I went totally organic. That food you can eat a lot less of, because it will fill you up.

Try adding organic ginger spice to distilled water, and drink every morning for energy. Get off of the addictive coffee and soda pop. That stuff is terrible health wise for you. It only helps line the corporations pockets. They could care less what it does to you. It is hard to get off of the addictive stuff but well worth it in the end. I feel great!

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I'm sorry you felt you had to delete the original OP
Now I can't refer back to specifics but I'll try to remember lol..

I know you said you eat too many carbs - well, definitely ditch any refined carbs, that's the first thing that jumped out at me, basically everything on this list

diagnosisdiet.com...

Also I wonder if you may be lacking in iron, given your fatigue levels? No need to go back to eating meat or fish as you were thinking of doing, there are lots of high-iron options for vegetarians here

www.healthaliciousness.com...

Unfortunately we can't expect our bodies to work perfectly if we don't put the right fuel in so I think your diet is the best place to start, especially if you can't exercise or get out in the fresh air as much as you'd like to....

Good luck

Oh and somebody mentioned organic carbs are ok, that's not actually right, refined carbs are the devil, it doesn't matter whether they're organic or not!
edit on 28-12-2013 by paradisepurple because: Add

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   

lot of water and healthy foods.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

paradisepurple
I'm sorry you felt you had to delete the original OP
Now I can't refer back to specifics but I'll try to remember lol..

I know you said you eat too many carbs - well, definitely ditch any refined carbs, that's the first thing that jumped out at me, basically everything on this list

diagnosisdiet.com...

thanks for your ideas.... a bit more about my situation - no smoking/drinking/drugs/medicine...love to walk (can't in this cold weather cuz asthma kicks up -but I get out when it's over 40 F)...with commuting/working, I am sitting for probably 12 hours a day which is taking its toll on my back these days...I do go to a chiropractor...I also have adrenal fatigue issues...I am a vegetarian currently but am thinking of adding in fish at least, or perhaps meat (organic) for a time (I like the idea of the Paleo diet, but have to get over eating meat from a heart/mind standpoint).

Also have lots of stressors from work, family, finances. Have had losses of loved ones/grief. Diagnosed in 2000 with chronic fatigue (and some sleep apnea, but I can't handle the machine), but I've had the fatigue since I was ill as a teen with bronchitis.

My intention is to figure out how to increase my vitality, energy through herbs, vitamins, natural remedies, etc., and diet -- so that I have more energy to begin to get more exercise squeezed into my day and help my back get better. When you don't have energy due to fatigue issues, it's really hard to work all day (8-12 hours, 50-70 hrs a week) and then come home and accomplish anything or exercise - especially if you are having back/hip pains. It's a vicious cycle. But one I HAVE to break and am determined to break this year.

Hoping ATS-ers who've explored natural/alt/dietary etc. approaches to health/energy/wellness/fitness would have some advice/direction to sites/books/etc. for me.

Thank you!

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   

StarsInDust

I just lost over 30 pounds, and not feeling hungry doing it. I stopped eating fake food that contains more chemicals than actual food. Eating fake food only makes you more hungry and eat tons of it. Things that say they are diet foods like diet soda contains chemicals and only make you gain more water weight. You can eat carbs as long as they are organic. In fact, I went totally organic. That food you can eat a lot less of, because it will fill you up.

Try adding organic ginger spice to distilled water, and drink every morning for energy. Get off of the addictive coffee and soda pop. That stuff is terrible health wise for you. It only helps line the corporations pockets. They could care less what it does to you. It is hard to get off of the addictive stuff but well worth it in the end. I feel great!

Thank you. Thirty pounds is awesome!

I don't drink soda or juice, just water and some plain ice tea (no sugar) or green tea. Okay, sometimes pomegranate juice. But I do drink a medium coffee every day (no sugar) -- which I will need to wean off of soon. I drink it because I have chronic fatigue and I need to get thru my work day, but in the end, the coffee is actually terrible for me.

I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables, more than most people, but then I get tired at work and slip up and eat chocolate or a muffin or something sweet/carb-y and I blow it.

I'll try the ginger spice for energy - lord knows I need it!

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

give up a few things like,
Fluoride
Wheats, Glutens and yeasts
White sugars or Any other man made sweetener
Cut back on caffeine and alcohols

Try Juicing vegetables ( organic)
and Join a gym, hire a trainer
or be disciplined to do it your self
P 90 X is a great program to do at home.

So basically,
eat healthy, stay away from fast food and frozen stuff, drink plenty
of water and get at least 40 mins of work out time daily
edit on 28-12-2013 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   

I need to get healthy. and am hoping for some insights into alternative medicines/approaches to address chronic fatigue syndrome, liver issues, asthma, back problems, blood pressure/sugar.

Ok, the first thing you need to ask yourself is what you want to get out of getting healthy. It looks like you had this at one point, so at what point did this change? Was it the injuries you sustained that caused the downturn in your health? There is always a plan for anyone with any kind of injury, I have had two knee reconstructions and have slipped three discs. Through gently building myself up I have taken on karate and boxing again, and lost almost 20kgs.

- and am hoping for some insights into alternative medicines/approaches to address chronic fatigue syndrome, liver issues, asthma, back problems, blood pressure/sugar.

Simply, what you eat has a massive impact on your health with or without exercise. Diet and exercise is always 80% diet, 20% exercise. What you need to do is write down what you eat on a daily basis, and be honest with yourself. Is it good stuff? Or is it just junk with no calories? Many people don't understand the whole eating crap while starving your body of what it needs formula that has become modern day eating. What I found is suffered from horrendous reflux and indigestion as a result of my diet, and had no energy.

Simply changing what I ate, no junk food, lay off coke, iced coffee, fatty foods, and changing to vegetables and fruits, even combining them with what I previously ate, had a massive impact on my energy levels. There are foods you can eat that are beneficial for your body, and enact chemicals which aid in helping your body.

I have a stressful corporate job that eats up most of my life, which is really hard when you have chronic fatigue. Hard to come home and then take care of myself properly.

Here you need to work out how many hours you work, and make time to do just 1/2 hour of exercise. I know it's hard, I had a corporate job for twenty years and all you want to do is vegetate when you get home at night. Start with something like 1/2 an hour with a Wii or and Xbox that you have to move with, and try doing things specific to strengthen your body. Focus on the areas that are damaged first off, and then move onto other things slowly, it will take time and focus, but it can be done.

If you want, u2u me and I can give you some of the foods I use that helped me.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

These are the supplements i take.

Coenzyme Q10
Hawthorn berries
Organic coconut oil
For heart and artery health.

Tangy Tangerine for all essential nutrients vitamins and trace elements.

And nascent Iodine that acts as massive detox.

If you want to lose weight take tangy tangerine.
Along with a sensible diet.
Don't eat heavy dinner/teas(England),try and eat salads as your night time meal,if you get hungrier later on,eat cereal for supper.
If you fry foods,try organic coconut oil it is the most healthy to fry stuff in and is less carcinogenic than Olive oil.
When you are fit enough to exercise,start light.I found running 2 miles everyday put my cholesterol right down rather than running 3/4 miles every other day.

At the start of 2013 i was taking all those supplements bar nascent Iodine without fail for about 4 months,i returned back to England at that time and everyone i met could not believe how well i looked.
I will start again in 2014.
I noticed a big weight decrease in the first month of just not going out drinking beer and eating salads more often.
Health starts on the inside,get away from eating garbage and put more organic less contaminated foods into your body and absolutely stay off soda/pop.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Hello! i hope your fitness/health journey is going well, and i think all of the advice you're received so far is pretty sound. I have an alt medicine type recommendation that I've found really jibes with my body and how it likes to do things. There's a theory out there that centers around your genetics/blood type, namely that each blood type requires a particular diet and type of exercise to thrive, and that each blood type has particular ailments to which they're prone. Being type O, i find i need intense exercise to feel at my best physically and mentally, and even sleep well! There is a lot of information on the internet readily available, and i think it's worth looking into. Best of luck!

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
It sounds to me with your asthma and chronic tiredness you are very low on lung chi(or energy) on you tube you can find the Pa tuan tsin or 8 precious exersizes performed by Geoff Pike they are very simple not overly demanding and you can start of breathing like a pregnant yak walking up a hill and improve from there,all you need is 20 minutes and fresh air,you may also wish to see a reputable TCM practicioner stop treating symptoms and start treating causes.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

I have had a lot of the same problems for a long time now myself. I was also just recently diagnosed with celiac disease. I was so anemic when I started to see my current doc that he has ordered weekly iron and b12 shots for 3 months. There are a few other allergy issues as well, but it turns out the celiac is my main culprit. My body is physically unable to absorb the nutrients that I consume.

The iron shots as well as a liquid iron supplement are working wonders on my energy levels, as well as a daily b complex supplement. I was also told to take 10,000 iu daily of vitamin D3. He also has me on a few other things, mostly herbs to correct a couple of problems. The vitamins in mass doses are what have boosted my energy.

I have also been ordered to cut all gluten from my diet thanks to the celiac. I have had to get creative, and we eat a lot more whole foods now than we even did before. It has been a tough road so far but it has already shown benefits in the whole family. Even my oldest son has commented on having more energy lately. I had to purge my entire house of the gluten to prevent cross contamination, which is why the whole family is feeling it.

Walking is a great easy exercise that can be done anywhere, with anyone, and at your own pace. Swimming is also great for your whole body and is pretty low impact if you have a public pool nearby.

Best of luck to you! I hope you feel better. Everyone is different, and I only know what has worked for me so I thought I would share just in case any of them help you too. It's very hard to get knocked down, especially when you don't know why.

Edit to add: after reading a few more of your responses, might I suggest you find a naturopathic doctor to talk to if possible. I also have the adrenal issues, that is being dealt with by some of the herbs I mentioned. It was also aggravated by grief and physical stress. Ultimately though it has been caused or worsened by the celiac. I have seen numerous docs countless times for all of the symptoms and been treated with random pharmaceuticals for years. They all masked the symptoms temporarily and did no good, since the underlying issue was never dealt with.
edit on 8-1-2014 by woodsmom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Lizardbrain
Hello! i hope your fitness/health journey is going well, and i think all of the advice you're received so far is pretty sound. I have an alt medicine type recommendation that I've found really jibes with my body and how it likes to do things. There's a theory out there that centers around your genetics/blood type, namely that each blood type requires a particular diet and type of exercise to thrive, and that each blood type has particular ailments to which they're prone. Being type O, i find i need intense exercise to feel at my best physically and mentally, and even sleep well! There is a lot of information on the internet readily available, and i think it's worth looking into. Best of luck!

Hi Lizardbrain -
I've been exercising daily, and have started as of 1/1/14 to follow a DVD of exercises with light hand weights, some cardio, etc. (Jillian Michaels) coupled with my normal stretching, yoga type of exercises, so I spend about 75 minutes or so exercising.
I think I am type O as well, and I do have a book on the blood type diet. I need to pull it out and re-read. Thanks!

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   

khnum
It sounds to me with your asthma and chronic tiredness you are very low on lung chi(or energy) on you tube you can find the Pa tuan tsin or 8 precious exersizes performed by Geoff Pike they are very simple not overly demanding and you can start of breathing like a pregnant yak walking up a hill and improve from there,all you need is 20 minutes and fresh air,you may also wish to see a reputable TCM practicioner stop treating symptoms and start treating causes.

Lung chi? My fatigue did start after an exceptionally horrendous bout of bronchitis as a teen. I will definitely look into the Pa tuan tsin. Thank you!!!!! I love the idea of treating causes vs symptoms.

I also read in another thread recently some argument about water and asthma. I do believe I am chronically dehydrated as I tend to not drink enough water or anything. When I do make a concentrated effort to drink more water, I feel better all over (joints, back pain, asthma, energy). Not sure why I can't easily remember to drink water/healthy liquid.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   

woodsmom

I have had a lot of the same problems for a long time now myself. I was also just recently diagnosed with celiac disease. I was so anemic when I started to see my current doc that he has ordered weekly iron and b12 shots for 3 months. There are a few other allergy issues as well, but it turns out the celiac is my main culprit. My body is physically unable to absorb the nutrients that I consume.

The iron shots as well as a liquid iron supplement are working wonders on my energy levels, as well as a daily b complex supplement. I was also told to take 10,000 iu daily of vitamin D3. He also has me on a few other things, mostly herbs to correct a couple of problems. The vitamins in mass doses are what have boosted my energy.

I have also been ordered to cut all gluten from my diet thanks to the celiac. I have had to get creative, and we eat a lot more whole foods now than we even did before. It has been a tough road so far but it has already shown benefits in the whole family. Even my oldest son has commented on having more energy lately. I had to purge my entire house of the gluten to prevent cross contamination, which is why the whole family is feeling it.

Walking is a great easy exercise that can be done anywhere, with anyone, and at your own pace. Swimming is also great for your whole body and is pretty low impact if you have a public pool nearby.

Best of luck to you! I hope you feel better. Everyone is different, and I only know what has worked for me so I thought I would share just in case any of them help you too. It's very hard to get knocked down, especially when you don't know why.

Edit to add: after reading a few more of your responses, might I suggest you find a naturopathic doctor to talk to if possible. I also have the adrenal issues, that is being dealt with by some of the herbs I mentioned. It was also aggravated by grief and physical stress. Ultimately though it has been caused or worsened by the celiac. I have seen numerous docs countless times for all of the symptoms and been treated with random pharmaceuticals for years. They all masked the symptoms temporarily and did no good, since the underlying issue was never dealt with.
edit on 8-1-2014 by woodsmom because: (no reason given)

Woodsmom - First, I really enjoy your posts - I've noticed your posts over time and have come to really look forward to reading what you have to say!

Thanks for your input. I know that when I have gone gluten free for a couple weeks (which is hard for me to do, as I crave quick and easy carbs/sugar when I'm especially tired/fatigued - which of course is really unhealthy and sets me up for more fatigue, but in the moment, it gives me the jolt I need to continue my work) -- I feel better, and notice I am not swollen, retaining water, joint pain, etc.

I do walk, when it's not cold, and try to do so every day for about 40 m in my neighborhood, before it gets dark. Am looking forward to changing the clocks in March so it stays lighter longer, and to warmer temps. Can't walk outside without coughing if it's under 40 F. Good news is I am doing jumping jacks, jump rope, stepping, marching in place, speed skaters for cardio with the DVD I am following now, for a bit of cardio.

Am hoping that the exercising routine that I started last month and which I increased as on Jan. 1st will, over time, help give me more energy and flexibility. I can already do the plank 3x for 30 seconds each - which when I started I could barely hold for 10 seconds (sad but true). My lower back hurt so much and was so stiff when I started, that I could barely do a sit curl/crunch, and now I can easily do 30. The other day, I did 100 (not in a row, but with a 10 second break between sets of 10). So I'm really trying in the exercise dept.

I now need to work more on increasing the healthy foods and exploring the great ideas brought here in this thread.
Thanks!

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   

I hope you do use those exersizes asthma can also affect electrolytes which regulate the use of water so the odd sports drink may not be a bad idea either.

top topics

join