It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Garden Seed Exchange?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Hiya folks!

I've been away from ATS for awhile, so I don't know if this is already going on, but if not - let's have a seed swap! I know I have too many seeds of both the vegetable and herb varieties after collecting this fall and now that winter is here.... I'm bored!

I think rounding up individuals who want to swap for certain seeds will get a little hectic, so what I propose is a round robin type swap where everyone sends in 5 packets of seeds and gets 5 back. Or 10. Or 15. If we have enough participants I'll be able to match however many packs of seeds you send in with different seeds. I'm willing to run this sort of swap because I have done it for a gardening website I visit. If there is some interest, I'll set a date seeds need to be sent in by, everyone will send them in with their own return label and enough postage to get them back, then I'll take 2 days to redistribute and securely package everything and mail them back out. I know where you can get printable secure seed packets online if you need them as well.

Maybe even a beginner's swap with a few packs of basic seeds where the beginner just sends an envelope and stamps? I have enough corn, beans, and squash to get many people started in a Three Sisters fashion.

Any interest here?

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Halekoch

im interested, i dont know much how it works or what exactly ur looking for, or even what the purpose is, cant we all just get seeds we want or need? But it sounds fun. Me and the kids have a planter box in front of are house we are trying to grow in, I need low light seeds because the box is shaded by the house part of the day. I was thinking chives. I dont know though im definitely no expert. What is this three sisters method you speak of?

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DocScurlock

The point for long-time gardeners, like me, is getting rid of our standard seeds and getting some new types in exchange. I don't want to buy a whole pack of new seeds because I can take 5 non-hybrid seeds and have 50 next year, so for just postage I can share the seeds I have and possibly receive new ones. It's also fun to see what other people grow.

Three Sisters planting is a method established by Native Americans by many tribes across the continent. It involves making a mound of dirt and planting corn, beans, and squash together. Corn is a massive nitrogen feeder and beans can fix nitrogen into the soil; the corn also provides a climbing trellis for the beans which makes them easy to pick. The squash grows along the ground, of course, providing shade and conserving water and creating a cooler micro-climate for all the plants' roots.

For your part-shade box mints, dill, catnip, oregano, chives, and garlic might do well. I have all of these, except oregano, to spare.

ETA: Also, your part-shade box might do fantastically with broccoli or brussel sprouts. I have some Solstice Broccoli seeds that was ready to eat just after Solstice this past year and yummy.
edit on 12/28/2013 by Halekoch because: Added Info

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
S&F

An ATS Seed Exchange program has got my name all over it!

Looking forward to how it works out.. I'm thinking ATSers list what they have and what they need and we all network and help each other out!

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by gardener

Great, gardener!

I'm wondering if the thread won't get kind of hairy listing individual seeds, but that is absolutely the best way to get what we want. My list is huge and a bunch of lists might be intimidating to those just starting out. A round robin type thing does have some gambling involved with the types of seeds you'll get in return, but I'd be happy to follow notes like "No tomatoes" or such. Just trying to feel out the interest in this thread with the intent of starting the swap in a different thread. You're for individual exchanges then?

Also, I should have added above: we'll need to list our USDA zones so those in the South don't get long-day onions or other incompatible plants.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Very interested in this idea, sounds very good!
I myself have purchased a large variety of seeds from websites like, seeds2freedom and a few others!

The strains are believed to be 100+ years old and have no gmo at all! Completely safe does cost a little for them but well worth it in the long run and you do get seeds from the vegetables/herbs once they are grown!

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Careful, you might get raided by overzealous freedom hating cavemen for "suspicion."

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

S & F'd just on the pure fact you bought it to the table. I won't be joining in as I'm UK, but I also run a small gardening forum, and we do it on there, and it works really well!

Good luck with it, and happy gardening!

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by kangajack

That's an excellent source for seeds. You'd be a great addition to this exchange!

I also plant only open-pollinated, heirloom seeds. Most of my seeds began at Bountiful Gardens in Willits, CA years ago, they're are a California Certified Organic Farm (CCOF) and practice biointensive gardening. I've only traded for open-pollinated heirlooms as well.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by MissBeck

Thank you for your support! I hope your gardening site gets lots of attention. Maybe any other Brits can contact you if they're interested in exchanging seeds?

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Nephalim

Bring 'em on!

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Halekoch
reply to post by MissBeck

Thank you for your support! I hope your gardening site gets lots of attention. Maybe any other Brits can contact you if they're interested in exchanging seeds?

Absolutely! They would be more than welcome. We are always after new blood!

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
The idea sounds a little seedy to me. I usually only buy seed potatoes, a pack of green bean and cucumber seeds. I buy six packs of tomato plants. Nothing really to trade. It would be a good idea for those who garden more though.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

rickymouse
The idea sounds a little seedy to me.

Terrible, terrible joke! Go and stand in the corner until we say you can move!

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Me! Me! Me! I'd absolutely love to do one, but I'd have to be a beginner. I try to buy seeds every year, but this past summer my goats got into them. Just send me a message if this gets off the ground. I'm not to consistant on getting on ATS.

Thanks!
Lollie

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Lolliek

I'll message you if it gets going, Lollie.

Thanks for your interest!

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

You, rickymouse, you're awesome. So punny!

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   

HI, just wondering if you have pictures of your gardens from last year, or what you may have started now? These types of exchanges are the bread and butter of many people but I have to also ask if you are certified or licensed?

It might be good to do a questionnaire before just jumping in with a great idea to make sure everyone is on the same page and sharing quality Non GMO, Non Hybridized seed. Also knowing the 'exact' genus. Most of the corn for example in America is now contaminated with GMO. Even if you bought from one of the few truly reputable houses, what blew into your corn or other veggies could be the start of something wicked in a growers garden next year.

Also pests can be transmitted from State to State and that is why regulations are high even for seed. The seed may look fine but microscopic insects could attach themselves and become spread.

For the Professional Agriculturist as well as dedicated backyard growers, it is beyond imagining the amount of time and research that goes into creating strains which are still uncontaminated and pure.

Just adding a few thoughts about the 'innocence' of seed exchanges.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Monsanto does not approve of this thread

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Okay.

Whats the Date Before Frechenstine SEEDS?

Since I do not want any GMO seeds!

Had to ask!

Peace

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join