It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm not OCD you're just a slob!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I am sooooo tired of being called OCD because I like to keep my place clean and organized.

Since when did clean and organized equal OCD?

So I have my tupperware organized nice and neatly along with my plates, cups and everything else. I put my clothes away by style and color. So what! Since when does that make me OCD? I keep my pantry organized as well and yet I'm OCD because of it.

Just because i like things CLEAN AND NEAT does not mean I'm OCD. I like things clean and in their spot! Sorry but the majority of people I know are damn slobs and yet that is ok?! I would never have my house look like that. What is wrong with having things in a spot where they can easily be found and then put back?! Why not open your cabinet and know exactly where that lid is instead of hunting for it? Why not open your pantry and know exactly where the flour is or the pasta or know what items you are running low on just by opening and looking?!

My husband gets all pissy about putting dishes away which imo is an excuse not to do it. Everything in my kitchen is organized to a T! You can open a cabinet and know exactly where something goes unlike so many other people I know who just toss things wherever they find space. I can't stand things that are unorganized, to me it is being lazy. If you put things in an organized manner it makes it easier to find them and put them back.

I worked in retail for years so I keep my drawers and closet organized as well. I like it that way, makes it easier to find things yet I'm OCD because I do it that way. I want a red shirt, I go to the red section of my closet. I use to organize closets for people and every single person I did it for said it was much easier afterwards to keep it organized and to find things. Well DUH! I thought that would be common sense.

I have joked about being OCD but I'm really getting sick of it and no longer find it funny. I"m not OCD I'm clean and organized BIG difference!

/rant

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Sounds like OCD to me.

LOL

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

OCD/Anal Retentive............sigh, aren't we all just different?

Why does everyone have to be put into a category anymore? Just think about that question while you wonder why our country is so freakin screwed up!

BTW, I would LOVE to have you come over to my place once a year and just organize to your hearts content!

Seriously though, I respect folk like you whom keep things organized on a constant basis. Especially when I can't find something that I know I put in a special place just so I can find it again when I am looking for it............"Where the hell is it?" is what I usually end up saying as I tear my house apart looking for it.....

Keep your chin up sweetheart!

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

So I have my tupperware organized nice and neatly along with my plates, cups and everything else.
I put my clothes away by style and color.
I keep my pantry organized as well
You can open a cabinet and know exactly where something goes
I want a red shirt, I go to the red section of my closet.

Nice rant.

Not to put too fina a point on it but you do sound a little OCDish... just saying.
You actually color coded your closet?

I agree with you about your husband though, he just doesn't want to put the dishes away. None of us do.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

I'd love to organize for you!

I actually enjoy organizing things. I guess it's like therapy in a way for me, much like how I enjoy cleaning.

I find it so much easier to find things when they are in their place instead of just put where there is an empty spot. Growing up I had to share a room with my sister who was very messy and it drove me nuts! I could never find anything because she just tossed things wherever she could find a place. My side was nice and neat but we had to share the closet and that drove me to insanity!

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   

blupblup
Sounds like OCD to me.

LOL

If I alphabetized my pantry then yea I'd agree lol

I use to alphabetize my DVDs but I had hundreds so it made it easier to find them. I don't do that anymore. I barely have any DVDs but the ones I do have are still organized.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Bassago

So I have my tupperware organized nice and neatly along with my plates, cups and everything else.
I put my clothes away by style and color.
I keep my pantry organized as well
You can open a cabinet and know exactly where something goes
I want a red shirt, I go to the red section of my closet.

Nice rant.

Not to put too fina a point on it but you do sound a little OCDish... just saying.
You actually color coded your closet?

I agree with you about your husband though, he just doesn't want to put the dishes away. None of us do.

Yea my closet is color coded but I worked in retail for 10yrs so I guess you could say I took that with me. Everything was always color coded in retail so naturally when I do my closet I just do it that way. The whole color wheel thing was engrained into my head working in retail. It is like second nature to me. I did it for so long that when I started to do my closet I noticed that I was doing it the same way I had to at work without even realizing it.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

mblahnikluver

If I alphabetized my pantry then yea I'd agree lol

I use to alphabetize my DVDs but I had hundreds so it made it easier to find them. I don't do that anymore. I barely have any DVDs but the ones I do have are still organized.

Uh huh...

Link

edit on 28/12/13 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Understandable, I worked retail for many years as well. I don't color code but do try to hang shirts with shirts, etc. Also put my dishes away but only to keep the kitchen neat.

Don't have a problem finding things wherever they are though, probably cause I don't have much stuff anymore. Makes things much nicer IMO.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   

i do understand the need for organization, am i good at it? No. But i wonder about the people that feel the need to organize everything. For instance I wear pants most of the time and when i wear shorts im either barefoot or in flip flops. When I wear my pants is it necessary to match my socks as long as they both make it over the top of my shoes/boots what does it matter if they match? And then I think how much time in this world is wasted matching socks up?

I have saved at the least hours of my life by just throwing all my socks in a single drawer and grabbing two that fit. But then my girlfriend sees this and calls me a lazy slob/scub(not in a demeaning way more of jab/criticizing way).

So I ask you, how much time have you wasted not having "OCD"?

and by the way I truly believe in to each there own, not trying to convert or anything.

also i see your the resident chef i would be honored to swap some recipes, Im looking for some good ones for small children that i will enjoy as well. You have little ones, correct?

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Awesome rant Mblah!

I'm happy to know I'm not the only one with the color and style sectioned closet and dresser!

Carry on!

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Bassago

Understandable, I worked retail for many years as well. I don't color code but do try to hang shirts with shirts, etc. Also put my dishes away but only to keep the kitchen neat.

Don't have a problem finding things wherever they are though, probably cause I don't have much stuff anymore. Makes things much nicer IMO.

I have a lot of kitchen "stuff" as my husband calls it. I also use every single piece I have. I cook A LOT so everything is used. I wish I only had a few things lol believe me it would make it easier to organize. I spent the better part of Christmas Eve organizing my kitchen because I got all new kitchen gear. My husband got me all new Cuisinart appliances (stand mixer, convection oven and coffee maker) so I needed to make room. We did Christmas early because he had to go back overseas. I even tossed the microwave lol. I don't use it and it takes up valuable counter space! I used it to soften butter and that was basically it or to heat up my coffee but my new coffee maker keeps it hot for 4 hours.

We live in an apt and the kitchen isn't all that bad for an apt kitchen but I have to really organize things to make everything fit. My husband says if I had a kitchen compound I'd still fill it with "stuff." I think he is probably right! I think of the kitchen as my version of a "man shed" or garage. lol

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I hear ya.

When folks say one has OCD or is anal retentive because they like an orderly environment it really only says that they have no idea how devastating real OCD can be/is.

It can be quite serious and turn peoples lives upside down. Huge difference between tidy and obsession.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

DocScurlock

i do understand the need for organization, am i good at it? No. But i wonder about the people that feel the need to organize everything. For instance I wear pants most of the time and when i wear shorts im either barefoot or in flip flops. When I wear my pants is it necessary to match my socks as long as they both make it over the top of my shoes/boots what does it matter if they match? And then I think how much time in this world is wasted matching socks up?

Socks are one thing I don't organize lol I don't even wear socks and if I do they don't match because who sees them with pants or in boots?!

I have a bin above the washer/dryer that all socks go in. I match them once a week...that is if I can find the match!

I have saved at the least hours of my life by just throwing all my socks in a single drawer and grabbing two that fit. But then my girlfriend sees this and calls me a lazy slob/scub(not in a demeaning way more of jab/criticizing way).

I don't think that is being lazy or a slob at all!!! I am extremely organized and even I don't waste time with socks. Even when I worked at the grooming shop and you saw my socks, they never matched lol I just didn't care.

So I ask you, how much time have you wasted not having "OCD"?

It's time well spent
hehe

and by the way I truly believe in to each there own, not trying to convert or anything.

Exactly! To each their own! It just drives me nuts how people lately have given me crap for it. Funny thing is they give me crap yet they ask me to organize for them?! Odd...

also i see your the resident chef i would be honored to swap some recipes, Im looking for some good ones for small children that i will enjoy as well. You have little ones, correct?

I have a 7mth old. I have always liked to cook. I make his food as well. What do your kids like to eat? Do they have food restrictions? I use Allrecipes for a lot of things. Other things I just come up with on my own. I'm learning after years to write my recipes down! I've made so many things I didn't write down and wished I had but now I am getting better at it.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Amen OP! I catch abuse on a daily basis from my buddies about my need for order. From my house to my work cube, I don't feel comfortable unless things are in their rightful place. This isn't OCD, it's having enough self-respect to not live like a pig.

Keep it up OP!

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

littled16

Awesome rant Mblah!

I'm happy to know I'm not the only one with the color and style sectioned closet and dresser!

Carry on!

Woohoo!! I'm glad to see I"M not the only one either!!

Our apt has long closets. They take up an entire wall. Great space but not very functional with the racks they have in there. I cant stand "racks" for shelving. It's a pain to hang clothes on and esp shoes, they fall through the slats! So I got a few closet organizers and organized my handbags, shoes and clothes. I took pants hangers and hung up my bigger hand bags and used the cubby holes for the smaller ones. My mom thought I was nuts BUT it's super organized and they are not just tossed in a pile. On the other side I have a clothes organizer that gives you two rows instead of one and what a difference it's made. I even asked maintenance if I could take one side of the closets racks out and put in a different one. They hesitated until I told them it would stay when we left and whoever moved in would love it. lol

I would love to have a business doing organization but I wouldn't know where to start. When I tried to do house cleaning it was hard because I rent and you need an actual location for a business license. I enjoy organizing and cleaning so why not put them to good use and get paid for it?

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

BeliefInReality

Amen OP! I catch abuse on a daily basis from my buddies about my need for order. From my house to my work cube, I don't feel comfortable unless things are in their rightful place. This isn't OCD, it's having enough self-respect to not live like a pig.

Keep it up OP!

OH thank you! Another one who gets me!

It really bothers me and I know it shouldn't but it does. I can organize pretty darn fast too. To me it's like a puzzle. I look at something and immediately the gears start going in my head as to how to put it together. I joke with husband and say I have to play "tetris" with the fridge/freezer when I go grocery shopping.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I actually wish i was more OCD about things.

I can do the same thing a bunch of different ways, some faster (worse), some slower (much better) - depending on my mood, i dont really care.
edit on 28-12-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I am 100% with you! I personally love order and keeping everything neat too! Why would you want it to be a #ing brothel!

OCD to me is someone who repeatedly does the same task to make sure its done proper or does things in numbers because thats the only way there mind will let them go with ease!

You are not OCD you just prefer to keep things clean all in all you go!

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Well you are obsessing over the need to be neat and organized... naw just kidding to each their own. If thats how you like your pantry then go crazy
but at the same point don't get mad at me for having mine the way I want. I get that you couldn't stand living there but thats the beauty, you don't have to. Cause can't the title go the other way? Im not a slob you just have ocd?? Dont hate a pig for being a pig

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join