It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alberta Bears Dancing at 'Rub' Tree [VIRAL VIDEO]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Viral video of Alberta bears dancing at 'rub' tree gets conservation conversation going
www.theprovince.com...

It started as a simple project a parks officer worked on in his spare time, ballooned into an Internet sensation and now a viral video of Alberta's grizzlies is drawing international attention to the province's wildlife and conservation efforts.

"It means a lot to me," said Glenn Naylor, who called his video "What goes on when you are not there."

"We need to keep bears on the landscape, we need to find ways to ensure that we can live with them, interact with them, recreate with them safely, and this video is really helping."

Naylor made his video using a sequence of still images from motion-sensor cameras placed in the wild.

"It just gives a glimpse into one of the things that they do and how they use these rub trees to communicate,"

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I Love it! The family and I are planning a summer trip to Alberta to take in all the natural wonders. Great Vid.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I thought this video was very interesting. I have known for a while watching documentary films on grizzly bears and such that they rub on trees so that their scent from their fur gets on the bark to claim territory. But seeing a group of bears shag a tree...well, that is something you don't see everyday?

I am glad I came across this video, it makes me humble watching nature do its thing. I just hope that conservationists can help protect whatever precious wild life there is for future generations.

And above all, I hope the officers can prevent loggers from chopping down that "rub" tree so we can enjoy more future videos of bears "communicating" with each other

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

MBMASON
I Love it! The family and I are planning a summer trip to Alberta to take in all the natural wonders. Great Vid.

Alberta is a beautiful province in nature...just don't get too comfortable driving through Calgary's bumpy city roads enroute to Banf National Park....also ensure to check out Drumheller Dinosaur Museum

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Aaw, what a great video! Although my 5 year old wasn't impressed when I told her to come watch the video of bears dancing. I think she was expecting to see them going 'gangnam style'

But, I appreciated it. Nature is wonderful, and so is spying on it when it doesn't know we're watching.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Skywatcher2011

MBMASON

Alberta is a beautiful province in nature...just don't get too comfortable driving through Calgary's bumpy city roads enroute to Banf National Park....also ensure to check out Drumheller Dinosaur Museum

Yeah we are coming from Manitoba and were planing at stopping at Drumhiller, than Calgary, Banf,Jasper than Edmonton.I think that route makes sense? The kids are really pumped for the Dinosaur museum at Drumhiller and the badlands. Should be pretty fun!
edit on 28-12-2013 by MBMASON because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Was that a mountain lion towards the end ?

Thanks for the video I needed that today, anything nature with animals in the wild puts me back on track in life, they are all we have that show's what life should really be like on earth.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

MBMASON

Skywatcher2011

MBMASON

Yeah we are coming from Manitoba to we were planing at stopping at Drumhiller, than Calgary, Banf,Jasper than Edmonton.I think that route makes sense? The kids are really pumped for the Dinosaur museum at Drumhiller and the badlands. Should be pretty fun!

I think you should save the best for last....ie. save Drumheller for last because that would be the highlight of the trip and the kids can have a good sleep enroute back home.

Note, there is not much to see in Calgary...but I am sure there are some tourist spots there to go to in the city. Banf is pretty cool, check out the ski resort if you can

Also, you should think about finding some hot springs in the province close to Drumheller. I highly recommend Radium Hot Springs.

Check out this link:

www.hotsprings.ca...

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Sounds good to me, I'll add it to the list. The only thing in Calgary we plan to do is the Zoo and the Tower. The kids are absolutely pumped to see the fossils as am I. The only prehistoric animals in Manitoba is the Mosasaur a giant sea creature, seeing as how Manitoba was under the ocean during the dinosaurs time. Kids are excited to see mountains too, LOL Manitoba has nothing even close to resembling a mountain.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Battleline

Was that a mountain lion towards the end ?

Thanks for the video I needed that today, anything nature with animals in the wild puts me back on track in life, they are all we have that show's what life should really be like on earth.

Yeppers!

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   

MBMASON
Sounds good to me, I'll add it to the list. The only thing in Calgary we plan to do is the Zoo and the Tower. The kids are absolutely pumped to see the fossils as am I. The only prehistoric animals in Manitoba is the Mosasaur a giant sea creature, seeing as how Manitoba was under the ocean during the dinosaurs time. Kids are excited to see mountains too, LOL Manitoba has nothing even close to resembling a mountain.

Fyi, there are many campgrounds you can stay at close to the dino museum. That is pretty cool about Mosasaur, I know what I will be checking out the first time I go visit your province. Btw, I am from BC...howdy neighbour

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Howdy neighbour! My wife was born on the island and her sister lives just outside Victoria. We have contemplated moving to Cranbrook, because my job is always asking me to transfer there.

Also, sorry for derailing your thread.

edit on 28-12-2013 by MBMASON because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Great video, I wonder though. Are they rubbing because they are trying to get relief from ticks or fleas?

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

aboutface

Great video, I wonder though. Are they rubbing because they are trying to get relief from ticks or fleas?

I do that sometimes too (minus ticks and fleas) for de-itching purposes

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

MBMASON
Also, sorry for derailing your thread.

Everything we discuss here is somehow related to the OP...
No worries

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
God dam it, clicking on that link crashed my computer and i lost some work

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   

PhoenixOD
God dam it, clicking on that link crashed my computer and i lost some work

Sounds like your computer rubbed up against the wrong tree

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Look like some kind of grizzly pole dancing.

top topics

join