It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They are jailing people in Texas over unreturned library books.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

If Sharia Law was invoked that guy would have his hands cut off....just sayin.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Skywatcher2011
reply to post by muse7

If Sharia Law was invoked that guy would have his hands cut off....just sayin.

lol Oh and that's how you justify all this crap? You compare US law to sharia? That's a piss poor saving roll brother. You cant have your government on national talking about how free the people are, when everyone damn well knows they aren't that damn free actually. Am I right?

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

whitewave
reply to post by lacrimoniousfinale

The article says that he was released for time served ...

My apologies. The sentence "Enck was released on a $200 bond, requested time-served — and returned the book" doesn't really translate well into English-English. I guess he did spend time in jail for not returning the book.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Hmm fear mongering people away from Libraries?

So now even children will fear the library because one little mistake can land you in jail ?

Is this really the type of society everyone wants?

Soon books will be only for the Rich.
That's where this is leading.

This is a perfect example of why we have dirt poor leadership currently worldwide.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Time to move toward digital with libraries. If it were up to me, those buildings would be leased out to private and every book made available in digital format. E-books if you will. 2.00 a pop and its yours. No returns to worry about. Just a big server room with a digital librarian.

Schools I'd do the same way. You put in a .5% education tax statewide, abolish the property tax and the ISD as it stands. Set up education servers and establish the Texas Education Network. With that .5% tax, the kids get laptops and high speed access to tutors, teachers, E-books and educational videos. Hell we got dell and apple down here, and a whole lot of people who know how to handle server issues.

You could probably do that in every state with tax reform. Set up a low flat rate.

edit on 28-12-2013 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

You know you set out a pretty good definition of theft, then you brought up the fact that he should be hand less by the letter of a ancient set of laws that easily could have been embellished over the years of translation. So with that in mind, do you deserve to have your hands? You have NEVER taken anything that doesn't belong to you? Ignorance is not bliss when it comes to eyes of the law, which you seem to agree with black and white based off of previous post. Not saying theft is right, but just before you talk about cutting peoples hands off, make sure you should be able to point that finger in the first place

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I find it disturbing that so many people are so enthusiastically supporting theft.

Maybe the police would be happy to worry more about catching rapists and murderers than having to go to some jackasses house to take back the books he's stolen from a library. Except our socially arrogant and morally outraged, perfect and pristine society seems to be unable to stop themselves from being such a wholesale bunch of petty criminals.

It's not about the fines someone didn't pay.
It's about the books that were stolen.
The average stack of library books costs more money than the average robbery nets at the local 'bump and run' corner store.

Maybe it'd be ok if every thief left a note that he'd bring it back in two weeks. Then it wouldn't be theft right?

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Nothing new, its old news.

BTW, is it really that surprising?

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
When you let someone borrow something, even if they dont return it on time, it's not theft. It's a civil matter, not a criminal one.

At least that's what the pigs themself told me when I complained about a power saw i loaned to a neighbour

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I agree with you, I wrote a thread on "Theory on paper bound books", that in fact this is a repeated offense to the elites for the past human existence thousands of years in the past. Yup

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Soon books will be only for the Rich. That's where this is leading.

A person can just return the books when it is time. There has been hundreds of years for the rich to remove books from the poorer people.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Sremmos80
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

You know you set out a pretty good definition of theft, then you brought up the fact that he should be hand less by the letter of a ancient set of laws that easily could have been embellished over the years of translation. So with that in mind, do you deserve to have your hands? You have NEVER taken anything that doesn't belong to you? Ignorance is not bliss when it comes to eyes of the law, which you seem to agree with black and white based off of previous post. Not saying theft is right, but just before you talk about cutting peoples hands off, make sure you should be able to point that finger in the first place

I don't believe in Sharia Law...but I brought that in as an example of how other cultures would deal with problems. I am all for arrest, but not for harming the body.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

WP4YT
When you let someone borrow something, even if they dont return it on time, it's not theft. It's a civil matter, not a criminal one.

At least that's what the pigs themself told me when I complained about a power saw i loaned to a neighbour

Nope.
You sign for responsibility when you get a library card.
Or whatever they do now days, way back when..it was a card.

By the way, there's a special place in hell for those that borrow their neighbors tools and never return them.
It's almost as bad as that level of torture reserved for politicians and people that talk at the movies.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
lets try this again?

you borrow a book from the library (there is a clue), you forget to return it, not theft

you take a book from the library never intending to return it (there is another clue), it is theft

you fail to return it either way and you will be fined, fact

you fail to pay the fine, then in the US of A you might well end up in jail, fact

it doesn't matter whose money paid for the books

it doesn't matter whether we think it is right or wrong

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Shuftystick
lets try this again?

you borrow a book from the library (there is a clue), you forget to return it, not theft

You "borrow" (remove from the premises with your signature on agreement to return it plus fines over 2 weeks or pay the full value of the book plus fines) a book from the library......and all the rest means diddly.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Dont go to libraries. at all. ever again.

Jailed over books you can download today.
Lets drag our knuckles out of the stone age sometime soon please.

((Yes I'm done "trolling"))

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Texas just set a new low. Sad what US has become, from a nation of Pioneers to a Nation of Policing.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Stealing a library book is like sneaking in and taking them without checking them out.
That's clear theft.

Some kid having overdue books is called a "overdue fee", which they pay "if" they want to check out more books again.
That's how it has always worked.

Also, when a bill is "overdue", and you don't pay it, they can take you to court for resolution if they choose.

But being arrested for "Theft"? NO! It's not "CRIMINAL".
What's wrong with society when they can't see the basic distinctions between owing a debt and being an outright thief?
edit on 28-12-2013 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I live in TX and I still have a book I checked out from the library when I was 11-years-old (I'm 40 now). I'm afraid to return it, they might give me the death penalty.
edit on 28-12-2013 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Some people seem to be confused about the prison system, and its corporate nature. A normal and logical person would think to themselves, "why are we spending so much money keeping non-violent and small time offenders locked up?" Sure, taxpayers would save a whole lot of money if our legal system were fair and accurate, but here is the thing. The people who own and operate these prisons make a whole lot of money from the government. They are getting YOUR TAX DOLLARS for every single inmate they lock up. And what they are paid for each inmate, when you work it out, is not likely to be as much as they need to spend on each inmate, if you get my meaning.

Basically, they are screwing the people and the government. But there are politicians who back this type of stuff, because they are getting kickbacks, support, and campaign funding, etc...I believe this is partly why we are seeing a transition to more of a police state. Everything is about MONEY.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join