It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China in Antarctica?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

That would be the Yangtze River then?

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

I agree the Chinese Icebreaker is in the Antarctic helping to rescue the Russian vessel, I remain unconvinced that was its reason for being there, it was, however the closest icebreaker by the looks of things.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by muSSang

International Law of The Sea, ship gives out Mayday, others respond.
As I said, good to see Chinese upholding this ancient tradition, for it is both.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Ha classic.

Got ink stain? Simply remove with more ink!

Its genius you idiot!

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Shuftystick

Essentially like the Arctic the antarctic belongs to the whole world so any human activity there like the arctic may have serious repercussions for the rest of the planet but as you know money is the only power these **icks respect regardless of there nation but from a scientific point of view China has as much right to explore and study but no right whatever to claim assets there (and if there is a buried civilisation under the ice one would think it's descendants (Of any survivors) would be the only really legitimate claim - after all even if you do not believe it is the only place that matches the desciption of Atala the white island at the navel of the world which fought the Raman empire and was only extinguished when an ultimage weapon caused it to sink beneath the water - ICE but was winning against the Raman (Ancient India)empire before that point - this is one that is related to the Vimana and ancient flight storys that most experts deny or deride but if true there is the remnant of superior technology and anti gravity flight systems somewhere down under the ice or the adjacent ocean).
Chile has a large minining town in antactica already and is actively mining there having laid claim to sovereinty over a part, A lot of former Nazis and a lot of the Nazi German assets were relocated to chile and they claimed a vast swath of antactica for nazi germany as well as having rumored underground/ice facilitys there (See operation High Jump) so the chile move is not really surprising when you remember how many german links there are to the chilean government and military.
edit on 28-12-2013 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

There We Are Then...
Can't please everyone, been accused today of everything from not reading all responses fully to not responding, albeit not quickly enough.
I assume your post means too many responses?
Damn, be losing sleep next worrying what people think

I think I will continue with replying to replies, at least that way I can't be accused of being apathetic or indifferent, and it shows respect even for those that criticise.

Don't come to me with your problems bring me solutions.

So, is the protocol to respond or not?

Will stick with current method unless Mods indicate otherwise.

Back to OP, altruism and Chinese do not sit well, but I repeat, and offer S&F to The Peoples Republic for responding to the distressed vessel, even though they are stuck themselves. Mother Nature eh?

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

I think it would be nearly impossible to respond to every comment and if you regard it as a group discussion and answer what you yourself find interesting like an interjection in a group conversation as you will find many commenters will answer amongst themselves so don't be too worried as it is not so much your reply's if any as your initial thread statement/post that matters,.
You start the conversation and dependent on how interesting others find it then they continue with there agreements, opinions and disagreements both to your thread and there own comments.
Nice to see you care though I for one would never have the patience to answer everyone and would never see it as ignorance if my comment is ignored as it is about making people think more than anything else.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
"Back to OP, altruism and Chinese do not sit well, but I repeat, and offer S&F to The Peoples Republic for responding to the distressed vessel, even though they are stuck themselves. Mother Nature eh? "

The Chinese are there for the same reasons the British, Americans and Russians are there probably for research. I don't think altruism sits very well with any of these countries.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
many thanks to the last 2 posts, I will endeavour to learn and adapt

ATS has a lot to offer and I am willing to learn

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Hi shufty I commented on page one, after reading the whole I'd like to half apologise for jumping or what seemed to be jumping on you for what you said

Ats is a funny place I've been here 3 years and still picking up certain things. I say you were right in questioning china being so south sometimes things do seem odd. But to jump in and assume they were up to something was a bit of a stretch. Kudos points for spotting things though

I've been in your position before I've posted something thinking I'm onto something, not seen the bigger picture and have been corrected by ATS members. So all I want to say is don't get too down on what people say sometimes things can be taken the wrong way especially reading text replies. But yeh don't be too put down on getting horrible replies in fact get use to it as it happens now and again

When posting a thread get as much detail as you can read through it then step back and look at the bigger picture

Other than that sorry if my comment seemed rude i have no intention of acting like that to anyone and don't take criticism personally you'll end up losing your marbles on here. All the best
edit on 28-12-2013 by ThePeaceMaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Q: how many Chinamen does it take to rescue a Russian cruise ship?

A: obviously more than what were on that Chinese icebreaker.

Bahaha! hilarious....

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

Tks for that

Started my working career in UK docks so do have a thicker skin than this method of comms allows to show
Trouble is after 40 yrs LE working with peeple I tend to react to what is in front of me at any given point
Noticed that it is far too easy to respond without thinking laterally, but then some of the posts on here don't engender too much thought
Happy to accept advice, otherwise would never have got through 40 yrs without too many bumps and scrapes
Problem with electronic media is you can't see the bas*****s eyes...
Thanks once again
BTW a Shuftystick is a cross between a shuftyscope and a tuck stick!

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
The Chinese icebreaker going to the aid of the Russian vessel is easy to understand, the unwritten 'lore of the sea' is that any vessel that receives a distress call from another ship, will try and get to the ship in distress if at all possible.
Any Mariner is thankful for the invention of radio, more souls would have been saved if those ships in the vicinity of the Titanic had radios, the one that did was switched off!!

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Shuftystick
Do the Chinese eat Penguins by any chance?

Anyone counted the Penguins down there recently?

If Penguin makes its way onto the menu at my local takeaway I will have been proved right, they were not there for altruistic reasons.

LOLOL.

Actually, it's probably an accurate truism that the Chinese eat anything that wiggles or grows and some things that don't.

You can bet that some Chinese chef somewhere would be thrilled to offer up penguin to an esteemed and well heeled customer.

However, I doubt that's the reason the ship is there. Showing the Chinese flag and flexing their growing economic and military muscle are more likely their reasons, imho.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by LABTECH767

..(and if there is a buried civilisation under the ice one would think it's descendants (Of any survivors) would be the only really legitimate claim...

I agree, but being bombed into oblivion has a way of making legitimate become illegitimate almost right away!

But then, if even 10% of what Adm. Byrd supposedly wrote about his surreal experiences there is anywhere near accurate, that 10% will be more than enough to put any upstart in its place pdq.

Assuming as i do, that tptb know much, much more about what's what than they care to let us all in on, they already know this for a fact..probably why they have been feverishly beavering away in their black projects for over 60 years, trying to gain at least a level of parity...but they forget...antarctica has had the same 60 years or so, to do what they do too.

TPTB...stop being petulant children...face facts, you're not and never will be the 'power' on Earth, that crown is not for the taking.

edit on 29-12-2013 by MysterX because: typo

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
It seems the chinese have gotten themselves stuck as well, and both Chinese and Russian gov. have asked for help from the US.

AFP 26 minutes ago

Sydney (AFP) - US icebreaker Polar Star was Sunday set to sail for the Antarctic to assist a Russian vessel trapped in heavy ice and a Chinese ship which went to its aid, officials said.

The Australian Maritime Safety Authority said the US Coast Guard had accepted its request to help the stranded Russian ship Akademik Shokalskiy and Chinese icebreaker Xue Long, which itself became trapped after using its helicopter to ferry dozens of passengers to the safety of an Australian ship.

The Polar Star, which is on a mission to clear a navigable channel to resupply McMurdo Station research base, will depart from Sydney Sunday after taking on supplies, it said in a statement.

The 122-metre (399-foot) ship is capable of continuously breaking ice up to 1.8 metres (six feet) while travelling at three knots and can break ice more than six metres thick by ramming

The Xue Long, or Snow Dragon, came tantalisingly close to cutting through heavy ice to reach the Shokalskiy a week ago but had to abandon its attempt once it realised it could not break through.

Chinese news agency Xinhua, which has reporters onboard the Xue Long, said the ship's passage had been blocked since Friday by a drifting, one-kilometre long iceberg.

The Shokalskiy remains stuck in ice 100 nautical miles from the French Antarctic base of Dumont d'Urville with 22 crew on board.

news.yahoo.com...

edit on 4-1-2014 by punkinworks10 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-1-2014 by punkinworks10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Now how much resource do you think TPTB will be feeding into the effort to free both a Russian vessel and a Chinese icebreaker from the ice by US vessel, you would almost think the Aussies were told to go home.

If the Yanks pull it off it will be a major political coup for them at a time when their global standing is somewhat downbeat especially with the Chinese on the moon.

Mind you, the Chinese could always blame the Russkies who sold the icebreaker to them, used of course. Snow Dragon, more like a No Go Dragon at the moment.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Antarctica is great! It's one place where people act as humans rather than thralls to politicians.

So if someone needs help, anyone who can helps. No-one cares about nationality.

As for a Chinese icebreaker down there, well, they do have 3 scientific research bases (and are building another) - the British, Russians and the Americans also have scientific research bases. Even the Poles and Pakistan have a base there!

en.mercopress.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Well the 2 stuck vessels cant't currently be in distress otherwise the Australian icebreaker Aurora Australis that received the evacuated "people" via Chinese helicopter from the Russian ship would not have been released to continue its original tasking before returning to the mainland.
This tied in nicely with the entrance of the US Coastguard icebreaker Polar Star into the picture.
So whilst I agree that it is International Maritime Law to assist those in distress I still question the politics at work here.
The headlines are so predictable and will range from;
US saves Chinese and Russians from Antarctic disaster...
to;
Superpowers work together for the benefit of all...

The Antarctic is not the pristine area that many believe and the more that it becomes "developed" either by tourism, scientific research, military or resource led then the more that the area and it's ecology will suffer.

Accepting one posters comment that the Chinese have as much right to be there as any other country you would be only human if you wondered what the heck the Pakistani's are doing there.
The Chinese, as with everyone else, are not there for altruistic reasons and money and military will be the reason as with everyone else.
It might be that they have perceived a market for krill for their masses to nourish themselves with but imagine the carbon footprint of getting there, catching it, transporting, processing and distributing the protein available from the krill?

Still reckon they should demand their money back from the Russkies though as the Snow Dragon patently isn't doing what it said on the box!

edit on 6-1-2014 by Shuftystick because: Tie pin and speeling errars!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join